Author Topic: The mackie DL1608 white noise saga continued..  (Read 77949 times)

iBloke

Re: The mackie DL1608 white noise saga continued..
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2014, 05:58:03 AM »
Just an update on the noise issue.

Absolutely zero problems running my iPad mini + 30pin to lightning cable.
10's of hours music playback with no issue.

BUT, slide the iPad 3 (or either of two other ipad 2's) into the DL and the White noise happens within minutes.

I think it's conclusive enough for me to spend the ca$h on an iPad mini tray kit, and a lightning upgrade kit (about $180 down here in AUS)

Although 90% of my gigs only require less than 14 channels so channel 15 & 16 can be sacrificed to an iPod for set break music.

But then today I had a booking come in from a band that usually needs 18 channels. I asked him about the stage layout and he says that 9 channels are for drum mics.  ::)
I explained to him that the venue he has me booked for is a relatively small room (100-150 punters) and overhead mics are really not required. I've done many gigs in this particular room.
In fact due to the patrons at this venue and the small size of the room I've used only a kick drum mic, and 1 overhead mic which has been more than enough.

Sometimes it's necessary to explain the "real world" to cover band Musos who seem to think they need massive concert hall mic'ing.

Anyway if he's not happy with the gear supplied for my low budget quote I'm 100% cool with that. It's only a hobby for me these days, and I'm more than happy to pass on a gig with a band that has huge egos, and unrealistic requirements for tiny venues  ;D

My long term established client base knows what I can provide and are happy to save mega bucks compared to the almost double $$ the music industry charges for the same gear.

I may even drop my hire price more now that I don't ever need to run a mlulticore, and a big rack of FX & processors.
Last gig I found a nice comfy, high backed chair right at the back of the venue where I sat down and not only had a perfect position for mixing the show, but also being able to thoroughly enjoy the music. (A Fleetwood Mac tribute band)

Even though I'm a jaded, and seriously grumpy old bastard I'm finding that since owning and using a DL I'm actually enjoying doing gigs.

Who woulda thunk it eh!! :D

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2014, 09:49:09 AM »
Good post iBloke, "you speaka my language"!
(He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich)
The older I get, the better I was!

iBloke

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2014, 10:32:52 AM »

LMAO  :lol:

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »
I hate sound checking drummers in tiny rooms, set up  2 feet behind the singer backing singer and guitar singer, as if you are not going to hear the kit.

:)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2014, 08:45:15 PM »

LMAO  :lol:

Bugger, I sang those very words on a gig last week  :facepalm:

iBloke

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2014, 07:00:14 AM »
A quick and positive update.

I own several iphones, IP3GS, IP4, IP5, and IP6. All of them are running their most current iOS version.

I also own three iPads. iPad 2, iPad 3, and iPad mini retina. (And my wife has another iPad 2)

Up until today the only iPad I own, or have access to, that doesn't play a part in the "white noise issue" is my iPad mini, which I connect to my DL using a 30pin to lightning adapter lead. Zero issues with it so far.

I finished updating all my iDevices to iOS 8.1 this morning, and have been playing music from my docked iPad 3 for several hours with zero incidents of the dreaded white noise.
Normally the iPad 3 would blast white noise within 30 mins of connecting.
Not a single squeak so far!

I'm a little bit excited that my white noise issue with the iPad 3 May have been sorted by the iOS 8.1 update, which basically means I've now got 16 channels to use for mixing bands again. And can play set break music from my docked iPad.

Fingers crossed :)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2014, 05:17:50 PM »
Woo! :)

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2014, 06:18:20 PM »
So most likely a software problem after all.....
Glad to hear all going well for you now iBloke!
The older I get, the better I was!

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2014, 06:40:39 PM »
So most likely a software problem after all.....
Glad to hear all going well for you now iBloke!

And, if this holds true, an Apple problem, not a Mackie problem...
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2014, 06:48:16 PM »
IIRC iBloke stated that in one of the tests during "white noise" he pulled the ipad from the dock and the noise continued. This would seem to eliminate the iPad altogether except for the possible initiator of it. Where does that leave the DL? No matter what the source it's a Mackie product ergo a Mackie problem. Apple is definitely not going to solve it. For those with short memories....    http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=700.msg6820#msg6820
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:12:45 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2014, 07:14:55 PM »
Let's hope that iBloke is going to continue to have good luck and the white noise issue has been eliminated for him, no matter how it happened. My fingers are crossed. (no wonder I can't type!)   :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2014, 07:16:14 PM »
IIRC iBloke stated that in one of the tests during "white noise" he pulled the ipad from the dock and the noise continued. This would seem to eliminate the iPad altogether except for the possible initiator of it. Where does that leave the DL? No matter what the source it's a Mackie product ergo a Mackie problem. Apple is definitely not going to solve it.

I can see where the iPad, for some reason, would through garbage at the D/A converters that would leave them in an ambiguous state. If the iPad is pulled out before good data is received, they could become "stuck" there. Might there be a way to error check that? Maybe. It all depends on the D/A converter.

As far as it being Mackie's problem and no one else's, that a load of crap. If you float the ground on an XLR cable, and that causes hum on your SSL board, is that an SSL problem? No, it's not.

If the singer spits into your SM58 one time to many and it gums up the transducer and the mic starts to sound more like crap than an SM58 usually sounds through the PA, is that the fault of the PA? No, it's not.

So, if the Apple product throws crap into the Mackie product, and it causes the Mackie product to react badly, it's not a Mackie problem, it's an Apple problem.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2014, 07:29:25 PM »
IIRC iBloke stated that in one of the tests during "white noise" he pulled the ipad from the dock and the noise continued. This would seem to eliminate the iPad altogether except for the possible initiator of it. Where does that leave the DL? No matter what the source it's a Mackie product ergo a Mackie problem. Apple is definitely not going to solve it.

I can see where the iPad, for some reason, would through garbage at the D/A converters that would leave them in an ambiguous state. If the iPad is pulled out before good data is received, they could become "stuck" there. Might there be a way to error check that? Maybe. It all depends on the D/A converter.

As far as it being Mackie's problem and no one else's, that a load of crap. If you float the ground on an XLR cable, and that causes hum on your SSL board, is that an SSL problem? No, it's not.

If the singer spits into your SM58 one time to many and it gums up the transducer and the mic starts to sound more like crap than an SM58 usually sounds through the PA, is that the fault of the PA? No, it's not.

So, if the Apple product throws crap into the Mackie product, and it causes the Mackie product to react badly, it's not a Mackie problem, it's an Apple problem.
Hardly a "load of crap" Apple didn't write MF Mackie did. All your other examples are external to a fully functional DL. Yes they can affect the "Audio System" but we're talking about a DL here which does not function well without a iPad/isomething.
When in doubt KISS

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2014, 07:32:47 PM »
Hardly a "load of crap" Apple didn't write MF Mackie did. All your other examples are external to a fully functional DL. Yes they can affect the "Audio System" but we're talking about a DL here which does not function well without a iPad/isomething.

If the iPad is spitting crap, the DL is going to pass that crap.

While your mind is VERY obviously closed to the possibility that it's not a Mackie problem, the rest of us will do the right thing, and 1) see what iBloke's longer test results are, and (2) update some iPads that are, in concert with their mated DLs, exhibiting the problem and see if it clears it up.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2014, 07:50:57 PM »

If the iPad is spitting crap, the DL is going to pass that crap.

While your mind is VERY obviously closed to the possibility that it's not a Mackie problem, the rest of us will do the right thing, and 1) see what iBloke's longer test results are, and (2) update some iPads that are, in concert with their mated DLs, exhibiting the problem and see if it clears it up.
Your logic has more holes than my pasta strainer and you clearly don't understand the problem. You might want to read the whole thread and nothing but the thread so help yourself. :) As far as you speaking for the "rest of us" that's pretty presumptuous.
When in doubt KISS