Author Topic: DL iPad Playback Noise - Mackie Survey  (Read 12336 times)

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
DL iPad Playback Noise - Mackie Survey
« on: July 24, 2014, 04:51:32 PM »
We've heard from a lot of you experiencing noise during iPad playback with your DL Series mixer (distortion, clipping, general noise). Of course, if anyone is experiencing a problem, we want to fix it. In this case, we are still not able to reliably replicate the problem to get to a resolution. We've experienced it, but can’t make it happen on demand, which is the only way to get a fix in place. So, we need to gather more information from you to figure out the unique combination that makes it happen.

If you believe you have experienced this issue, we ask that you fill out this brief survey:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/12HoJCmPv4cLdjXAwQ9hdx2YAxRm0cJR7QhwgrBMqDhg/viewform?usp=send_form

You've been an amazingly supportive user community and we truly thank you. Thanks for your continued help to get to the bottom of this issue!

Ben Olswang
Support: techmail@mackie.com
Toll Free: 800.898.3211
Phone: 425.487.4333
Blog: www.mackie.com/enews/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Mackie
Twitter: www.twitter.com/MackieGear
You Tube: www.youtube.com/user/mackietv
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:55:39 PM by beno »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: DL iPad Playback Noise - Mackie Survey
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:11:17 PM »
OK everyone - be nice ;) . Ben, thanks for stopping by! Unfortunately I'm amongst the majority who haven't seen this issue at all. Just last night I was playing break music with the "Party Monster" app and recording with the "Voice Record Pro" app and all was perfect except for Master Fader disconnecting once (that I noticed). Interesting that the disconnections don't seem to affect any ongoing playback or recording. I mostly mix remotely anyways with a second iPad (a mini actually).

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 06:14:48 PM »
Welcome BenO, I'm glad you finally reappeared for concerned customers even if it's not on a Mackie sanctioned Forum. You have my e-mail regarding this problem and I do hope to hear from your Engineering Dept. regarding my evaluation of the cause.
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 06:17:19 PM »
Hey Ben,
I wish I could help but I've never experienced the issue with any of my iPads!
Hope the survey gets to the bottom of the problem for those who have it.
Good luck:)
Rob
The older I get, the better I was!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 08:50:29 PM »
Me neither, mine is from October 2012 so could it be an issue with later production units?

I've just texted a mate the link to this thread as he's just bought a DL and experienced the problem.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 08:55:22 PM »
Nice to see Mackie taking an interest. Says a lot about their interest in customer satisfaction. Thank you beno!
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 10:29:01 PM »
Ben, thanks for stopping by.   I have the problem almost every gig and I only say almost because I am now eating a couple of channels and using headphone Jack out- I use the board every weekend and have yet to figure out any specific way to re-create the white noise.  Feel free to message me if you'd like to speak directly or want specifics on my unit.

George

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 10:34:03 PM »
Hi George, I'm sure Ben will speak for himself but it'd probably be quicker if you fill in the questionnaire, i suspect he's a busy guy and, I for one, and pleased that he's taking the time to post on here.

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »
Yes George, please fill out the survey at the link in the first post.
Thanks.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 06:06:31 PM »
BenO as promised my take on this.
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=705.msg6868#msg6868
I hope you find your "pattern", the IC industry never has a bad chip batch make it's way out the door  :lol: If that's not the case then you need to latch on to DL's that produce this at a high frequency of occurrence. Good Luck.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:28:50 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 06:45:59 PM »
BenO another week has past and nothing but deafening silence has been heard from Mackie. What I find intriguing is that the ONLY place the survey form has appeared is on this forum. One would think that the most obvious place would be on your tech support page as well as on your Facebook and Twitter sites, in order to reach as many customers with this problem as possible.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 08:03:59 PM »
They've been working on it for months, expecting a miraculous announcement in a week is rather silly IMO. And any of the users having the issue who aren't terminally stoopid should have found there way here by now ;) :
https://www.google.com/search?q=dl1608+"white+noise"
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:07:15 PM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 08:55:17 PM »
OK perhaps I wasn't specific enough I was referring to comments on my analysis that I've asked for 3 weeks ago. Probably in the wrong thread but since BenO is here I thought he may get the message. I have the perfect solution for him to become the hero  :). If he can get his team to fix the problem by the time iOS 8 is released  and then issue a new MF V2.x for iOS 8, he can blame it all on Apple who doesn't give a damn. We'll never know and go forward. What a PR coup. BenO the clock is running!  ;D Tshu can doit amigo.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:00:42 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 12:00:13 AM »
Hey All,
Just want to thank everyone who took the time to reply to the survey. It has definitely helped us reproduce the noise more regularly. To share a bit of the data, we had 8 replies and no one can reproduce it on demand. We do think we are making a bit of progress with your help but as others have said, this is one of those bugs that will not be fixed overnight. But we are definitely working on it so if you haven't yet submitted your reply, please do so. And if you playback audio from your iPad and have NOT seen the problem, please respond to the survey as well and tell us what you are doing as this might be helpful as well.
Thanks

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 01:14:46 AM »
Hey Beno let me help you with that since you're just looking to buy time. Get a returned  DL 1608 serial # 2037399CRGA0231 it's the closest thing to on demand failure. It's also iBlokes unit that you already have the sound file for. So what if it's in Australia. Is it important to you then overnight it otherwise quit with the BS delay tactics. We've been there before.
When in doubt KISS