Author Topic: Reverb Question  (Read 7126 times)

Kedmison

• Initiate
Reverb Question
« on: August 02, 2014, 04:38:04 AM »

I want to use the 806 to sing with backing tracks.  How do I add effects; reverb; delay to my vocal channel without it adding those effects to the music?

Thanks,

Kelly

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Reverb Question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 01:39:30 PM »
Guess this isn't as obvious as I would have thought it was.  I am having trouble figuring out how to explain it.

Reverb send is on the Reverb Out
Reverb return is the master on the Reverb Out
Add reverb as needed to the chosen output mix.  Usually LR out.  (Can also be any chosen Aux outs.)

Generally, effects are normally used post fader. 

Cheap mixers usually only have a control on the reverb send.  Easier to use, but doesn't give you the entire picture of how it works. There is one more control here than you usually see on internal reverb.  But if you had an external reverb unit, it would have all of those controls.  Channel send to reverb, Reverb send back to the mixer, Reverb channel to mix on output. 

I estimate that the DL1608 has about 700 controls with only 18 on the mixer itself. The 806 would have about half that many.   

I'm wondering how your adding music to your mixer?  Are you using the ipad channel?  There have been people experiencing full volume WHITE NOISE when doing that.  It's a small percentage of users, but it's worthy of note.  Check other posts in this forum.  I'm sure it's not a pleasant experience. 

Kedmison

• Initiate
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 02:00:56 PM »
Actually I have the 806.  My music is coming from laptop say into channel 8.  I seem to be having trouble adding effects to help vocals without it effecting the main music. Moving from an old CFX12 to this 806 is QUITE an experience.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:04:59 PM by Kedmison »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 02:10:16 PM »
OK.  Had a CFX12 too a while ago.  Mackie had their own approach to things.

Simple explanation.
LR out - channels 7 and 8 faders up, reverb fader up and master fader up.  (Not all the way.)
Reverb out - channel 7 up and channel 8 down and master fader up  (Set to post fader.)

That way only channel 7 gets reverb and LR gets to add it to the output.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 02:12:14 PM »
I'm also assuming that you haven't linked channels 7 and 8.  (One of the new features.  Not suitable here.)

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 02:14:29 PM »
Would screen shots help?

Kedmison

• Initiate
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 02:33:33 PM »
Yes they would and thank you so much for the help.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 10:09:18 PM »
Would screen shots help?
Love to have some shots of Old Faithful. Are you there yet? Hope your having fun.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 04:51:34 AM »
Motorcycle trip is over.  3400 miles, 7 States and a trip to the ER.  (Feeling much better now.)   Was great.  Rode the Olympic Peninsula and the weather was nearly perfect.  (Who ever heard of sunshine there?) 

I'm ready to go again.  (Somewhere different.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 06:58:53 PM »
Hey glad your back! Didn't I tell you to come back in one piece instead of all busted up? Who got the brunt of that you or the bike? You could have bought a Yamaha GL5 for that side trip to the ER. Glad your on the mend.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 12:02:08 AM »
ER trip wasn't because of an accident.  Chest pains.  Not a heart attack, but I was wondering.  I'm feeling much better now.  Bike is running like a champ.  (But PC800s always do.)  Just went over 48,000 today.  (Bought this one with 34,500 miles on it.  Did 100,000 on my previous PC.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 05:50:00 AM »
Glad to hear that. It's time for that checkup and watch what you eat. Good to have you back.
When in doubt KISS

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 01:15:59 PM »
Glad your ok...Old faithful didn't do it for me on my 30 day, 9600 mile bike trip.....hope you took in Glacier Natl park just below Yellowstone! Got my RK with 4k on it 3.5 summers ago, just turned 40K, looks like we both like to ride!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 01:18:24 PM by Trshot »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 04:10:40 AM »
Do you hold your map upside down?  Glacier is North West of Yellowstone.  Rocky Mountain National Park is South East of Yellowstone.    Haven't been to Glacier yet.  (The ER stop killed that part of my trip.)  Rocky Mountain is basically in my backyard.  (Though for some reason, I haven't taken the motorcycle over trail Ridge Road yet.)    And Noah found a scenic motorcycle perfect road that's not marked as one in Colorado.  (My Son who also rides.)   I'm ready to take that ride again. 

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 01:31:37 PM »
Do you hold your map upside down?  Glacier is North West of Yellowstone.  Rocky Mountain National Park is South East of Yellowstone.    Haven't been to Glacier yet.  (The ER stop killed that part of my trip.)  Rocky Mountain is basically in my backyard.  (Though for some reason, I haven't taken the motorcycle over trail Ridge Road yet.)    And Noah found a scenic motorcycle perfect road that's not marked as one in Colorado.  (My Son who also rides.)   I'm ready to take that ride again. 

I've done this too mant times and still get it wrong!!   :facepalm:  Grand Teton national park is what I should have said.  I didn't make it to Glacier  (headed east towards Sturgis,) but hear it's amazing, Zion is another on my bucket list.  My son rides as well, in fact this cross country trip was his HS graduation present. We've done yearly father/son trips since.