Author Topic: Sticking button ?  (Read 6439 times)

Rdmitch

• Knight
Sticking button ?
« on: August 17, 2014, 04:41:59 PM »

Had the strangest thing happen last night at a show, never happened before and will probably never occur again. Had a digital "button" stick.
Working remotely from the audience area, after setting all the drum compressors and levels I moved back to the mixer surface for my usual riding of levels on the guitarist.  I realized the ONLY control I had was volume. No EQ, no pan or FX. Couldn't even access any of the aux sends.
Tried reconnecting to the mixer and even a quick reboot.  Still no change and still only main fader level controls. 
Checked on stage to see if it was system wide or only on my iPad, definitely on my iPad. 
As it was close to break, I figured I could hold until then rather then take a chance of messing something up trying to fix on the fly.
By chance I scrolled over to input 9 ( tom 1) and realized the fader button looked different, not fully lit, like the grow and glow appearance, but kind of in between that and regular. I touched the fader and it went back to " normal".  Boom, all my controls were back functional. 
Never happened again the rest of the show.

Has anyone ever experienced this ?
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Sticking button ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 01:55:01 AM »
I can see that happening, but I agree that you probably won't see it again.    Hasn't happened to me.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 02:49:36 AM »
Yep that Mandolin needs a lot of tuning (Mackies name for their new communications protocol for mixers). Seems that error handling is in dire need of being implemented better or at all.  ::)
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 11:10:40 AM »
I am surprised that you couldn't just force the app off and restart it.  As a thin client, it should have released the stuck fader.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 02:00:34 PM »
I was running the schools DL (able to borrow it) at a gig the other day, running wirelessly and 30 minutes into the gig, the audio just went dead. Master Fader showed audio passing, there was audio coming out of iPod (checked with headphones on iPod). No sound from speakers. Not a power failure or breaker. 20 seconds later, boom everything came back like nothing had happened. I set it up at home with same configuration, ran it for 2 hours, no glitches.

So, if and when the next update of Master Fader comes out (if at all) does anyone really think that there will be improvements to these little nagging annoyances? When it works, it’s a real treat to use it. I was seriously considering buying another DL, but now? Rats, it is a nice board.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 02:07:29 PM »
Audio quitting?  My take is that can't be blamed on the ipad.  The mixer itself does all the actual changes and the ipad is just telling it what to do.  (Exception is when the ipad is used as a sound source when docked.)  Only thing I can think, is that the mixer had an internal chip either go haywire or more likely overheat and shut down.  This one should be reported to Mackie.   Hopefully it never happens again.

Wondering if there was any blockage on the mixer or if it was out in the sun.  (Been keeping mine in the shade when outdoors.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 03:22:28 PM »
Wynnd;

Thank you for your reply. The DL was inside and there was enough space around it to let the air flow around it. It had a chance to get up to operating temperature but it happened exactly after 30 minutes. I actually looked at my watch when the sound died! And even though the unit is not mine, I am responsible for it. The school really doesn't know how to look after it.

I actually wrote an email to Beno the same day, describing in detail what happened to this DL. I am counting on a response soon? I'm sure that since I cannot reproduce this glitch on a regular basis, I don't know what Mackie can do. I would however try to convince them that since this unit is used by a school, a new replacement would be in order. Fingers crossed. ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 03:27:55 PM »
This is a lot like the car that's still under warranty and decides to stop running.  If it starts right back up, you drive on and don't think about it.  But you might not want to wander any of those very lonely roads with no services for many miles.  It's always going to be a worry on the mind.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 03:37:55 PM »
Yeah, I was really thinking about running out to the van to get my backup mixer (you know). Like I said in my previous post, I really really like the DL, but like you said, if I may quote you "It's always going to be a worry on the mind." I think that for my piece of mind, if it's a small gig, just use my ZED10.

Still, I would like a reply from Beno and am going to push for a replacement for the school. Maybe I'm spitting in the wind? :'(

PS: my speakers are brand new and they were still powered up. Hopefully it wasn't them. What are the odds that 2 brand new cabs would quit at the same time for 20 seconds? Quantum Singularity again?  :eek:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:41:37 PM by Keyboard Magic »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 04:23:19 PM »
Might be the speakers, if somebody pulled the plug, and they were on a separate circuit.  The first time I experienced white noise with this mixer, was when my lead vocalist wireless microphones had somebody else on the same channel and the squelch wasn't keeping it out. 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 06:04:50 PM »
Yeah, I was really thinking about running out to the van to get my backup mixer (you know). Like I said in my previous post, I really really like the DL, but like you said, if I may quote you "It's always going to be a worry on the mind." I think that for my piece of mind, if it's a small gig, just use my ZED10.

Still, I would like a reply from Beno and am going to push for a replacement for the school. Maybe I'm spitting in the wind? :'(

PS: my speakers are brand new and they were still powered up. Hopefully it wasn't them. What are the odds that 2 brand new cabs would quit at the same time for 20 seconds? Quantum Singularity again?  :eek:
I see you couldn't resist GAS on new Yorkville toys (am I correct?). Fat chance it was the speakers. :)
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 06:15:54 PM »
I am surprised that you couldn't just force the app off and restart it.  As a thin client, it should have released the stuck fader.
Come on Wynnd a thin client will only function if the server is listening as in this case with the DL which is obviously stuck waiting for a specific reply ignoring everything else. That was known in my days as sloppy programming.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 06:23:50 PM »
Wynnd;

The speakers were plugged into the same circuit as the rest of my gear on a heavy duty
filtered power bar. Maybe, but I hope not.

WK; They are brand new Yorkie toys. And to be honest I've never had one fail on me out of the box, so far that is.
Anything is possible of course. Could be operator error too! (Moi of course!) Maybe just evil spirits >:D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 06:35:00 PM by Keyboard Magic »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 06:29:58 PM »
Wynnd;

The speakers were plugged into the same circuit as the rest of my gear on a heavy duty
filtered power bar. Maybe, but I hope not.

WK; They are brand new toys. And to be honest I've never had one fail on me out of the box, so far that is.
Anything is possible of course. Could be operator error too! (Moi of course!) Maybe just evil spirits >:D
You missed the "Mackie" part of evil spirits  >:D
Are you going to keep us in suspense on you new toys?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:17:24 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 06:40:48 PM »
Ok. No more suspense. Yes they are Yorkville PS12Ps with the mandatory over inflated Yorkville power ratings. They are very nice, but a bit on the heavy side for my old bones. 60 pounds each! Ow!