Author Topic: My first real gig with the DL1608  (Read 10052 times)

iBloke

My first real gig with the DL1608
« on: August 18, 2014, 09:17:36 AM »
Firstly I'd like to state that I really hope jerrylee http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?action=profile;u=4341 doesn't personally attack me again in this thread using the vile language and animosity he displayed towards me in my previous threads (fingers crossed)
I purchased a DL1608 about a month ago. Had the documented noise issue playing music from the docked iPad.
I sent that DL back in exchange for a new one, which doesn't blast the white/pink/whatever noise as often as the first DL....But still does it on a not so regular basis (using 3 different ipads)

Anyway I don't play music from a docked iPad anymore due to its unreliable nature. I just waste 2 channels by plugging in an iPod.

First real gig with a band I've been working for 3+ years.

Super easy to setup with my old Allen & Heath.
Not quite so simple with the DL...but luckily the venue owner gave us plenty of time for setup and sound check.

Cut a long story short, using the DL wirelessly was a revelation!
Firstly tuning monitors with a graphic EQ in my hands at each microphone was a dream come true!

And to be able to sit on a comfy chair at the back of the venue and have wireless access to a plethora of audio tools was the cherry on the cake!

The outcome is I really dig the DL1608 even though it has some relatively serious software bugs that mackie can't seem to solve.

A pic of the guitarist (sergeant of Morwell crimes devision) and his wife in an 80's cheerleader costume

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 04:35:24 PM by iBloke »

Wynnd

• Master
Re: My first real gig with the DL1608
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 11:07:55 AM »
There are times I miss the physical faders.  But all in all a very capable mixer.  Twice the number of controls of a MixWiz.  It's a lot in a small package.

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 03:07:31 PM »
Fun! Here's my gig on Sunday: http://imgur.com/a/zhGjm

iBloke

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 04:34:23 PM »

What a fantastic venue!!  :thu:

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 06:43:50 PM »
I just did a gig without my DL1608. I was in the back of the room all night where it sounded ok but a little muddy. I would run up to the dance floor on every song to listen. I will say I missed my DL!

Regarding break music, I've always just run an iPod plugged into channel 16. No need to use 2 channels.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 07:06:26 PM »
Regarding break music, I've always just run an iPod plugged into channel 16. No need to use 2 channels.

How are you physically running the iPod into a signal channel?
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 07:15:36 PM »

I'd highly recommend getting sand bags for your speaker stands. They greatly reduce the chance of them falling if someone trips on them or when using them outdoors under windy conditions. I also use reflective tape on the legs in a candy stripe pattern to make them more visible. Lastly, Consider getting some sub-snakes with returns to connect to the mixer to clean up the cabling from mics and to the powered monitors. It also speeds up setup and teardown when you're not having to home run a bunch of cables to and from the mix. Short runs to the snake heads instead.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 08:24:22 PM »
Looks like a bluegrass set up to me..

I have done at least 40 shows with the DL and have never had a glitch until this past weekend. Even with the little quirk
The unit was still under my control so it was no big deal.

I would not want to do a show without the DL since the comfort of sitting in the audience and walking the venue is
So much better then running back and forth to the stage or running a snake.  PArt of my sell is the wireless set up
Eliminating the  snake or trip hazard on the dance floor.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 08:34:14 PM »
I do the iPod input as well and don't run music from the iPad mounted in the DL.
You can buy on eBay for about 5.00 a stereo mini plug to XLR adaptor, so I use any open channel .
I am trying a free I pod app made for DJ's this weekend to allow me to load a play list onto the iPod and
Fade in and out of songs and set tempos a bit.
I am also going to try a set of wireless headphones this weekend too.

Rick Scofield

• Padawan
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 08:48:05 PM »
Hopefully this little adapter blocks phantom power, because even if you don't use or turn on phantom but you plug into any XLR input, hitting one little switch could very easily burn out the tiny headphone amp inside the iPod/iPhone.

Also good if the 1/8" to XLR doesn't short out the left and right channels.

-Rick

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 09:19:22 PM »

I'd highly recommend getting sand bags for your speaker stands. They greatly reduce the chance of them falling if someone trips on them or when using them outdoors under windy conditions. I also use reflective tape on the legs in a candy stripe pattern to make them more visible. Lastly, Consider getting some sub-snakes with returns to connect to the mixer to clean up the cabling from mics and to the powered monitors. It also speeds up setup and teardown when you're not having to home run a bunch of cables to and from the mix. Short runs to the snake heads instead.

Those are some heavy-ass speakers (Apogee ACS8 passives - 86lbs) & it was in a well protected area, so no danger. But thanks for the link, I should get some for other situations.

It was a simple setup & I don't own a sub-snake, several of the companies I work for do what you describe at shows but it wasn't worth borrowing one for just this show.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 09:51:07 PM »
Hopefully this little adapter blocks phantom power, because even if you don't use or turn on phantom but you plug into any XLR input, hitting one little switch could very easily burn out the tiny headphone amp inside the iPod/iPhone.

Also good if the 1/8" to XLR doesn't short out the left and right channels.

The other potential issue is that a standard mini TRS to XLR is usually wired tip to pin 2, ring to pin 3, and sleeve to pin 1. Doing it that way would mean the polarity of the right channel is being flipped in the preamp and then summed with the left causing cancellation of any signal common of both left & right of the playback device. So knowing how the adapter/cable is wired is pretty important to get proper playback. I understand now that some of these adapters are purpose built for this and do actually sum left and right from the headphone output properly with a resistor network which of course won't have that issue. But I've seen several folks who don't know better use the wrong adapter and don't know why it doesn't sound right.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 09:59:33 PM »
Have never had an issue with the adaptor, or even splitting the signal to 2 channels if board space permits..
Is this different on the DL  from any other mixer since I have done this on my yamaha analog board and my old Carvin board?
I sure would not want to damage either the board of the iPod.
I don't currently use condensers but may want to use them for drum OH's at some time.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 11:38:01 PM »
Have never had an issue with the adaptor, or even splitting the signal to 2 channels if board space permits..
Is this different on the DL  from any other mixer since I have done this on my yamaha analog board and my old Carvin board?
I sure would not want to damage either the board of the iPod.
I don't currently use condensers but may want to use them for drum OH's at some time.

The behavior of differential balanced mic input mixers is the same as far as how signals are treated, so you'd expect the same behavior on all mixers. I did a demo video on a small Mackie mixer a while back of what happens with a balanced line input when you plug both channels of an iPod/iPhone. The same would apply to a balanced mic input: http://youtu.be/-tt7eMddpVo

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 12:20:01 AM »
Wow, that is really bizarre, I never encountered that before.  Whenever I plug the iPod in it seems to work fine and I can pan both ways hearing everything.
I am going to test this out again tomorrow, trying the XLR  adaptor and putting a 1000 hz signal in like you did.I will also try using 2 separate channels.

Thanks for the info, very insightful !