Author Topic: My first real gig with the DL1608  (Read 10157 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: My first real gig with the DL1608
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 01:27:48 AM »
Just don't turn on phantom power unless your sure the cable is capacitive coupled. Easy to check with meter for continuity on signal line, if continuity exists don't go near phantom power unless you want a new iPod/iPhone. Best to use TRS inputs 13-16 and not worry about it instead of XLR's.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 01:51:10 AM »
Welcome back iBloke. Good to hear your gig went off without a hitch. We're all hoping that the next MF version likely after iOS 8 is released will fix the problem. :)
When in doubt KISS

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 02:53:55 AM »
Wow, that is really bizarre, I never encountered that before.  Whenever I plug the iPod in it seems to work fine and I can pan both ways hearing everything.
I am going to test this out again tomorrow, trying the XLR  adaptor and putting a 1000 hz signal in like you did.I will also try using 2 separate channels.

Thanks for the info, very insightful !

It's likely you have the type that sums left and right properly then. The reason why you get cancellation when identical signals are fed to the hot and cold pins is the exact reason why balanced connections reject noise over long wires - any noise signal common on both hot and cold lines cancels out when it hits the preamp. Any signal that's in opposite polarity on hot and cold or only on one of the two legs gets passed. The cold signal in the preamp get's it's polarity inverted and then that signal is added to the hot. Inverting polarity on the cold line is what cancels out any "common mode" noise riding on the hot and cold line. The specs you see for balance connection noise cancellation capability is referred to as CMRR or "common mode rejection ratio." It's a pretty cool concept and has been around since the invention of telephone lines. The amount of cancellation depends on how well the impedance is matched on the source side between hot and cold as well as the receiver/preamp side. The more uneven the match, the worse the CMRR will be and the more common mode noise will get through.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

iBloke

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 03:04:01 AM »
Welcome back iBloke. Good to hear your gig went off without a hitch. We're all hoping that the next MF version likely after iOS 8 is released will fix the problem. :)

G'day Mate :)

The band was really impressed too. They were amazed at how far PA technology has advanced lately.

They own their own PA and lights, but I never liked using their mixer so I've always brought my own.

We now have 2 barely used 20 channel multicores between us that will either gather dust, or get sold. Zero use for them anymore.  ;D

yigba

• Padawan
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 01:34:24 PM »
Best to use TRS inputs 13-16 and not worry about it instead of XLR's.

That's exactly what I do and it performs flawlessly.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 04:08:30 PM »
Yes  :thu: and if you think you have a genuine stereo source and want to use up only one DL input channel then under General>Accessibility turn on Mono Audio in the iPad. The iPad will sum it correctly.
When in doubt KISS

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 10:46:50 PM »
Regarding break music, I've always just run an iPod plugged into channel 16. No need to use 2 channels.

How are you physically running the iPod into a signal channel?

With a 3mm stereo to 1/4" mono adapter cable. I've done this for 30 years, and it works fine with most recordings.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 11:18:29 PM »
Regarding break music, I've always just run an iPod plugged into channel 16. No need to use 2 channels.

How are you physically running the iPod into a signal channel?

With a 3mm stereo to 1/4" mono adapter cable. I've done this for 30 years, and it works fine with most recordings.

You mentioned "most recordings." I take it the left and right channels are shorted to the tip of the 1/4"? Could be why it doesn't work with all recordings.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 12:09:41 AM »
Not sure, but I do notice a very few old recordings that are off a bit. No one has ever complained to me about how the break music sounds, so I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 07:43:35 PM »
Have never had an issue with the adaptor, or even splitting the signal to 2 channels if board space permits..
Is this different on the DL  from any other mixer since I have done this on my yamaha analog board and my old Carvin board?
I sure would not want to damage either the board of the iPod.
I don't currently use condensers but may want to use them for drum OH's at some time.

The behavior of differential balanced mic input mixers is the same as far as how signals are treated, so you'd expect the same behavior on all mixers. I did a demo video on a small Mackie mixer a while back of what happens with a balanced line input when you plug both channels of an iPod/iPhone. The same would apply to a balanced mic input: http://youtu.be/-tt7eMddpVo

Greg, I've run into this as well.  I use a Monster cable (stereo mini to RCA male L/R) and use 2 RCA female to 1/4" male.  Plug those into channels 15/16 (linked).  I don't use an iPod, but rather my Apple Express WiFi router so I can send and control house music from my remote iPad.  Works really well for me.  I not worried about using an extra channel.  I have yet to max out the DL, even with a 5-piece band.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:47:11 PM by Harpman »
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"