Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

My first real gig with the DL1608

<< < (4/5) > >>

WK154:
Just don't turn on phantom power unless your sure the cable is capacitive coupled. Easy to check with meter for continuity on signal line, if continuity exists don't go near phantom power unless you want a new iPod/iPhone. Best to use TRS inputs 13-16 and not worry about it instead of XLR's.

WK154:
Welcome back iBloke. Good to hear your gig went off without a hitch. We're all hoping that the next MF version likely after iOS 8 is released will fix the problem. :)

Greg C.:

--- Quote from: Rdmitch on August 19, 2014, 12:20:01 AM ---Wow, that is really bizarre, I never encountered that before.  Whenever I plug the iPod in it seems to work fine and I can pan both ways hearing everything.
I am going to test this out again tomorrow, trying the XLR  adaptor and putting a 1000 hz signal in like you did.I will also try using 2 separate channels.

Thanks for the info, very insightful !

--- End quote ---

It's likely you have the type that sums left and right properly then. The reason why you get cancellation when identical signals are fed to the hot and cold pins is the exact reason why balanced connections reject noise over long wires - any noise signal common on both hot and cold lines cancels out when it hits the preamp. Any signal that's in opposite polarity on hot and cold or only on one of the two legs gets passed. The cold signal in the preamp get's it's polarity inverted and then that signal is added to the hot. Inverting polarity on the cold line is what cancels out any "common mode" noise riding on the hot and cold line. The specs you see for balance connection noise cancellation capability is referred to as CMRR or "common mode rejection ratio." It's a pretty cool concept and has been around since the invention of telephone lines. The amount of cancellation depends on how well the impedance is matched on the source side between hot and cold as well as the receiver/preamp side. The more uneven the match, the worse the CMRR will be and the more common mode noise will get through.

iBloke:

--- Quote from: WK154 on August 19, 2014, 01:51:10 AM ---Welcome back iBloke. Good to hear your gig went off without a hitch. We're all hoping that the next MF version likely after iOS 8 is released will fix the problem. :)

--- End quote ---

G'day Mate :)

The band was really impressed too. They were amazed at how far PA technology has advanced lately.

They own their own PA and lights, but I never liked using their mixer so I've always brought my own.

We now have 2 barely used 20 channel multicores between us that will either gather dust, or get sold. Zero use for them anymore.  ;D

yigba:

--- Quote from: WK154 on August 19, 2014, 01:27:48 AM --- Best to use TRS inputs 13-16 and not worry about it instead of XLR's.

--- End quote ---

That's exactly what I do and it performs flawlessly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version