Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

My first real gig with the DL1608

<< < (5/5)

WK154:
Yes  :thu: and if you think you have a genuine stereo source and want to use up only one DL input channel then under General>Accessibility turn on Mono Audio in the iPad. The iPad will sum it correctly.

stevegarris:

--- Quote from: Greg C. on August 18, 2014, 07:06:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: stevegarris on August 18, 2014, 06:43:50 PM ---Regarding break music, I've always just run an iPod plugged into channel 16. No need to use 2 channels.

--- End quote ---

How are you physically running the iPod into a signal channel?

--- End quote ---

With a 3mm stereo to 1/4" mono adapter cable. I've done this for 30 years, and it works fine with most recordings.

Greg C.:

--- Quote from: stevegarris on August 19, 2014, 10:46:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: Greg C. on August 18, 2014, 07:06:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: stevegarris on August 18, 2014, 06:43:50 PM ---Regarding break music, I've always just run an iPod plugged into channel 16. No need to use 2 channels.

--- End quote ---

How are you physically running the iPod into a signal channel?

--- End quote ---

With a 3mm stereo to 1/4" mono adapter cable. I've done this for 30 years, and it works fine with most recordings.

--- End quote ---

You mentioned "most recordings." I take it the left and right channels are shorted to the tip of the 1/4"? Could be why it doesn't work with all recordings.

stevegarris:
Not sure, but I do notice a very few old recordings that are off a bit. No one has ever complained to me about how the break music sounds, so I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

Harpman:

--- Quote from: Greg C. on August 18, 2014, 11:38:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: Rdmitch on August 18, 2014, 09:59:33 PM ---Have never had an issue with the adaptor, or even splitting the signal to 2 channels if board space permits..
Is this different on the DL  from any other mixer since I have done this on my yamaha analog board and my old Carvin board?
I sure would not want to damage either the board of the iPod.
I don't currently use condensers but may want to use them for drum OH's at some time.

--- End quote ---

The behavior of differential balanced mic input mixers is the same as far as how signals are treated, so you'd expect the same behavior on all mixers. I did a demo video on a small Mackie mixer a while back of what happens with a balanced line input when you plug both channels of an iPod/iPhone. The same would apply to a balanced mic input: http://youtu.be/-tt7eMddpVo

--- End quote ---

Greg, I've run into this as well.  I use a Monster cable (stereo mini to RCA male L/R) and use 2 RCA female to 1/4" male.  Plug those into channels 15/16 (linked).  I don't use an iPod, but rather my Apple Express WiFi router so I can send and control house music from my remote iPad.  Works really well for me.  I not worried about using an extra channel.  I have yet to max out the DL, even with a 5-piece band.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version