Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Combing channels from a 3.5mm stereo jack to mono

<< < (2/5) > >>

Keyboard Magic:
I don't know if you can get ART Pro Audio Gear everywhere, but here's another option to check out if anyone's interested? The price is Canadian, and maybe a little expensive? It might be worth a look just the same.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/11048/Pro_Audio_Recording/Mic_Preamps_DI_Boxes/ART_Pro_Audio/ART_Stereo_Multi-Media_Interface_to_Single_Mic_Input.htm

;)

stevegarris:
Wow - a lot of great choices here - Thanks Greg!

The Whirlwind unit looks nice, but $50 is a lot after seeing the $12 cable from PI.

I had looked and and considered the ART unit at one time.

I'm going to order the PI unit today.

Greg C.:
I suspect the Whirlwind model has a better transformer which means flatter frequency response and less distortion - especially with hotter input levels. Typically the cheapy transformers, like in cheap DIs and line level isolation transformers, tend to saturate at lower frequencies and add distortion. But the PI probably works fine based on Road Ranger's observation.

stevegarris:

--- Quote from: Greg C. on August 20, 2014, 10:26:33 PM ---I suspect the Whirlwind model has a better transformer which means flatter frequency response and less distortion - especially with hotter input levels. Typically the cheapy transformers, like in cheap DIs and line level isolation transformers, tend to saturate at lower frequencies and add distortion. But the PI probably works fine based on Road Ranger's observation.

--- End quote ---

I'll let you know, I've got one coming.

stevegarris:

--- Quote from: stevegarris on August 21, 2014, 06:33:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: Greg C. on August 20, 2014, 10:26:33 PM ---I suspect the Whirlwind model has a better transformer which means flatter frequency response and less distortion - especially with hotter input levels. Typically the cheapy transformers, like in cheap DIs and line level isolation transformers, tend to saturate at lower frequencies and add distortion. But the PI probably works fine based on Road Ranger's observation.

--- End quote ---

I'll let you know, I've got one coming.

--- End quote ---

OK - Last night I did a quick test. I found the Beatles recording that always sounded funny on playback (disappearing guitars, weird instrument levels changes). Tried both my Radio Shack stereo to mono adapter, and the PI transformer cable.

Neither cable fixed the weird sound on this recording, which I believe is a bad mp3 file. The Radio Shack cable sounded best, with excellent bass and clarity. The PI cable really sounded bad in comparison. I left my Radio Shack cable in the rest of the night, playing recorded music for a small dinner party we were having. Everything coming through it sounded fantastic.

I'm going to do some additional testing, but my preliminary report is that the PI "DJ" transformer cable is no better than a simple adapter, and perhaps worse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version