Author Topic: TouchMix app finally  (Read 7357 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
TouchMix app finally
« on: August 21, 2014, 04:28:07 PM »
The TouchMix app has finally made it to the Apple app store. Just starting to play with it. Still no manual however.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: TouchMix app finally
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 09:37:33 PM »
Some subtle differences between the build in UI and the iPad version. For one no library of presets in the iPad version, it's also labeled presets. It may only be in the mixer version. Interesting new "nudge" function to move faders +/- 1 dB. faster than typing in a value if it's close by. The manual is in the iPad version, no need to look for it elsewhere. Meters only have one value marked "0" but color coded for ranges. More to come. Just need a mixer to check it out fully. ;D
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 08:39:31 PM »
Not seeing it in the UK App Store yet WK😔
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 08:50:58 PM »
Not seeing it in the UK App Store yet WK😔
I think I had to go to QSC's other apps and then look for other apps from developer for it to show up. Search as I remember failed.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/touchmix/id898402638?mt=8
In your case.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/touchmix/id898402638?mt=8
Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:59:14 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 12:10:23 AM »
Thanks for that WK, took me straight to it👍😉
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 05:35:59 AM »
According to QSC's Chris Brouelette a limited supply of Touchmix 16 were shipped yesterday. The race is on. Why is it that US manufacturers can't get the Pre/aux right the first time? The tap is after the processing! Already on the list for change or addition and it hasn't even left the gate.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:42:29 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 06:04:10 PM »
It's not looking too promising for TouchMix with some of the details coming out. The devils is in the details. The WiFi dongle is a $9 piece of junk in the 2.4 Gig range with a range of 30-50 ft. That means about 10 ft. in a crowd if your lucky. There are dual band solutions out there for longer range at $22. >:( So much for QSC quality  :(. Recording and playback is unique to TouchMix and it currently will only play back what it recorded, until someone writes a program to provide the format used from the standards that already exist, ie. MP3, Mp4, AAC, Wav etc. That means your break music must first be run through the mixer and recorded in order to play it back from a USB drive. Shades of iTunes, really QSC! You can however use the TRS inputs for your iPod etc. and not tie up a mic channel. :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:15:05 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 12:31:34 AM »
For all of those that have existing wireless routers like Apple AirPort Express, here is a quote from Brad Zell Online Marketing and Artist Relations Manager at QSC: "You can connect an external wireless router via one of the two the USB ports."

The above quote was taken from an email to myself back in May of 2014 with tech questions about said QSC TM and the possibility of using my Airport Express, not having it being used as a paper weight, now that I no longer have a DL.

This is a little ray of hope and we don't necessarily have to use/buy a better wireless dongle to use with the Touch Mix. The rest of the info WK posted obviously needs to be addressed by QSC in short order. And no I do not have a Touch Mix. Still sitting on the fence right now.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:34:44 AM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 05:18:33 AM »
KM you were given bad info, the Airport Express USB port is limited in usage and will not deal with a network application (printers only according to Apple). TouchMix will only use a WiFi to USB dongle. There is a RJ45 connector on the TouchMix but for now it can't handle a network  access point. I'm afraid your Airport Express is a boat anchor at present. You can however sell your used Airport Express for around $60 and get this for $23 and put the rest in you pocket. You'll also be ready for when Apple supports 802.11AC  :)
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-TEW-806UBH-Wireless-AC600-Adapter/dp/B00KT7DY02
Or these:
http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=100_TEW-805UB
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wireless-Mbps-Adapter-TEW-648UB/dp/B002RL8I54
High power version N150

The TouchMix ships with this dongle:
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wireless-Micro-Adapter-TEW-648UBM/dp/B004D41ECW
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 05:44:26 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »
The Airport Express is a pathetic boat anchor.   Try a Windows 95 tower instead.  Kidding aside, the USB port on the airport express is so limited, that you can't even charge a phone on it.  I will vouch that they work fine for USB printers.  (Using one at home that way.  It becomes a bonjour printer useable by Macs and Windows machines.)   USB network dongles are readily available.  Are others useable by the mixer?  (Being that the one provided is very limited.) 

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 02:35:31 PM »
Okay. Had to try though.  ;)  At least it's not totally useless for me. I still get to use the school's DL for their concerts. I know... woo hoo! Actually it is nice to use.

Actually, thank you both WK and Wynnd for all that great info and techie knowledge. Cool.  8)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:46:49 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 06:41:02 PM »
The answer from QSC is as follows on the USB ports:
http://forum.qscservice.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4321&sid=4d1b909f6c23de90cb051f520cb26748
Just came back from a visit to the Music Group in Vegas, interesting conversations about their products from the front line.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 05:28:13 PM »
There is now a manual for the TouchMix although it seemed to have bypassed proofreading (rushed not like QSC of old :(). It's riddled with wrong figure explanations so take care when you read, although most are obvious. The Record/Playback function certainly puts Mackie's to shame. Someone actually spend a little time on it in the design phase. Aside from recording up to 20 channels you can down-mix selected channels to stereo without using a DAW. The software allows simultaneous playback and record to stereo. Your stereo record channels are also not limited to L&R as in the DL, they can be from L&R, Aux 7-8 or Aux 9-10. Three different sources. So for those looking for a more extensive record facility TouchMix may be sufficient. Dealing with the outside world is limited since there is no MFi or USB streaming facility available. You can import to DAW's for further processing. Nothing exists yet for playback from outside via USB other than their own recorded data. This may change down the road.
When in doubt KISS