Author Topic: Bluetooth and Apple  (Read 9143 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Bluetooth and Apple
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 03:05:21 AM »
One more thing.  If your ios device doesn't handle 5Ghz, you will never see the 5Ghz Wifi.  (And nothing will change that.)  My iphone 4S doesn't do 5Ghz.  I can't see it with that device.  My ipad 2 and ipad mini both handle 5 Ghz with no difficulties.  And the Dl1608 mixer can see whatever is connected up to the WiFi router without regard to band used.  Earlier versions of Airport Express could only do one band at a time.  Using one of those requires you only set up the one band you can use with all the devices you will be using.  As long as my iphone 4S is one item I want to be able to use, I would have had to use the 2.4 Ghz band only.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 03:52:55 AM »
I think you misunderstood me, I fully understand the client side selection process (iPad, Iphone etc.). I should have stated "create multiple networks" (local, my bad) on the Airport Express, no networks existing on the base station. The manual is worthless but Columbia U. IT has a reasonable set of instructions that give you all the choices from the Airport Utility. A picture is worth a thousand words.
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/networks/aptnet/express/
There is no choice on radio. A point that Apple makes regarding the Express by automatically determining the better band for you in typical Apple style (need to know, and we know better). Does the Express then activate both bands and name them differently for you? If that's not the case then you have no choice and both radio's are used at the Express's choosing. The instructions on the Extreme clearly ask you to make a choice on radio (same utility), hence you can control the bands. See instructions:
 http://www.columbia.edu/acis/networks/aptnet/airportx/

When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 05:20:38 AM »
Airport express won't fire up the 5 Ghz without getting to the advanced screen.  (I should include a screen shot from Airport Utility.)  It also doesn't name anything for you and you will need a different name for the 5 Ghz.  Both bands can have the same password or different passwords.  Airplay also isn't automatic and needs to be set up if you're going to use it.  I'll be clearer in the AM.  Will get that screen shot then.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 07:39:36 AM »
Found that WiFi options screen V6 of utility. None of the examples are with the Express. Thanks for the offer no longer necessary unless the utility blocks radio choices for the Express. Hoover or hold the option key down, really! Don't these guys have anything better to do at Apple? ::)
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 01:40:49 PM »
It's that one button mouse.  Apple products work fine with two button mice.  (With scroll wheels too.)  But Apple doesn't default to them.  My Magic Mouse is set up with the two button configuration.  Much easier to live with.  Whenever you want the pop-up menu, use the right button. 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 06:02:18 PM »
Picked up the a fore mentioned Bluetooth receiver  http://www.amazon.com/HomeSpot-NFC-Enabled-Bluetooth-Receiver-System/dp/B009OBCAW2/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408832253&sr=1-4&keywords=rca+bluetooth+receiver#
and the iPad is now happy with an encrypted device. Its a class 2  (30 meters (~100ft,) max, limited down to 66ft.) range V2.1 +EDR with NFC ability.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:03:14 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 11:55:50 PM »
With iPad shut down the Bluetooth link stays active and has for several days. Nothing noticeable with the connection or the quality of the audio. I also have WiFi (2.4 Gig) operating in close proximity to the Bluetooth receiver and sender (iPad) no problems encountered.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 05:44:37 PM »
Apple strikes again. Last night the directors Bluetooth connection didn't work so I got the job, go fix it. Well it turns out that she updated to the latest iOS 8.1 and yes it broke Bluetooth. Had to first remove the devise and then re-pair . Yeah problem solved, not so quick it now has an untenable delay. Great job Fruit!! This will have to wait until after Sweet Adeline's International competition in Baltimore next week. By then I hope the keyboard app will have a fix for the delay. My 7.1.2 has no problem with the same app. :)
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 02:23:23 AM »
Update: in the meantime a new version of MusicStudio the app that had delays was released and of course automatically installed by the director. Problem gone on both iOS versions. Now setup no longer requires Bluetooth as a selection in setup. As a matter of fact if you do select it the app no longer sends audio to the Bluetooth link  ::). More Apple magic I'm sure.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 02:30:16 AM »
Just went to wearing hearing aids and they have bluetooth connection available to my ipad mini.  In this situation, you can easily see that bluetooth is at best a bit flakey.  Can't listen through my hearing aids without occasional gaps.  (Usually short.)   Just thought you might want to know.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2014, 02:39:32 AM »
Just went to wearing hearing aids and they have bluetooth connection available to my ipad mini.  In this situation, you can easily see that bluetooth is at best a bit flakey.  Can't listen through my hearing aids without occasional gaps.  (Usually short.)   Just thought you might want to know.
My guess is that it's a V4.0 device with very limited range (class III) unless they provide a battery pack externally. Distance (power) has been the only problem I've ever encountered aside from backward compatibilty.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2014, 02:45:49 AM »
The hearing aids are brand new.  The app for control is geared to the iphone 5 and later.  Got to admit that the ipad mini's antenna is a bit weak.  Now the iphone 4S that I have has two very good antennas.  (But the app doesn't run right on it.) My guess is that it would work nearly perfectly with an iphone 5 or later. 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2014, 03:04:34 AM »
The hearing aids are brand new.  The app for control is geared to the iphone 5 and later.  Got to admit that the ipad mini's antenna is a bit weak.  Now the iphone 4S that I have has two very good antennas.  (But the app doesn't run right on it.) My guess is that it would work nearly perfectly with an iphone 5 or later.
Unless you have a big lump hanging out of your ear the limit is the hearing aid. The mini no doubt has a similar range as the iPad and certainly is not the problem. My Jawbone only lasts a few hrs. before recharge. I trust your hearing aid has a longer operating time.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2014, 03:09:53 AM »
Much longer, but the batteries are air/zinc (?) and last about 5 days.  (When activated.)