Author Topic: Presonus new rack mixers  (Read 8584 times)

pppriit

• Initiate
Presonus new rack mixers
« on: September 03, 2014, 06:46:30 AM »
There are news about 2 racksize models of mixers from Presonus.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/kq5KKbWmt74?autoplay=1&rel=0.

Looks very promising.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
Re: Presonus new rack mixers
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 11:14:33 AM »
Yup, looks cool  :)
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 01:55:40 PM »
This field is getting crowded and very interesting. The estimated pricing will be £1,229 for the RM16AI and £1749 for the RM32AI. Not that much of a difference between the two. Of course the control surfaces are extra.

Map for the US is $1399 for the RM16AI and $1999 for the RM32AI.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 05:11:15 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 05:47:53 AM »
Looks like a decent amount of thought has gone into the control surface, just wish I could afford a 28" tablet!! :-)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »
Mackie is going to be an also ran with their new line. Presonus just killed it off before it hit the market with a well thought out UI that Mackie most likely won't have. October 15th will tell. Here are the details of the RM series from Presonus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSq8pnXCc7Y&feature=em-uploademail
Behringer will finally have competition for the X32.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 07:28:58 PM »
Here are more details on the RM series, very impressive. One of the few companies that understands the value of quality UI software and flexibility expected with most modern software.
http://www.presonus.com/uploads/products/3423/downloads/presonus_rm_series_brochure_en.pdf
Sample rate up to 96 kHz, are you listening Music Group? Expandable to 64 inputs by cascading for under $5000. Well planned monitor mixer integration.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 08:19:24 PM »
Well talk about shooting yourself in the foot, the record and playback is done via the dead Fire-wire S800 com. I guess they don't keep up with the PC world. There are 3 com technologies that have steamrolled all others into niche markets. They are Ethernet/WiFi (because of the infrastructure), Bluetooth (because of simplicity and tech), and USB (because of patent and other reasons). I doubt if Dante or AVB will bail them out. ::) Time for a USB v3 and 1Gig Ethernet as the standard add-in card.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 09:32:58 PM »
People keep saying firewire is dead.  It sure works well.  I still use it for recording.  (But then again, I haven't given up on my Alesis MultiMix 16 Firewire as a recording mixer and a backup mixer.)  I understand that nearly no one is installing firewire on new hardware.  My newest vehicle is a 1999 too.  (And I'm still using gasoline and haven't upgraded to an electric vehicle yet.)   I'm also playing through 1970s Leslies and a few amps and speaker cabinets from that same era.   I no longer own a floppy drive of any size and my CRTs are gone too.  But upgrades need to happen for a reason besides no one else thinks it's a good idea. 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:04:13 PM »
Wynnd that's called Nostalgia. If you're going to place the job of record and playback on another device such as most mixer manufacturers have done then you best pay attention to what is out there to accommodate you.  I have all of the devices you long for still, floppies Crt's etc.. :) Thinking about starting a Museum.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:07:24 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 11:18:10 PM »
Funny.  I do hang onto stuff that works.  Glad the CRTs are gone.  (Took the last one in the house to Goodwill about two weeks ago.)  Don't miss the floppy drives.  (I can make them work, but why bother?)   If I opened a museum, it would have to be motorcycles.   I don't own a B3 and if I did, it would never leave my living room.  (Organ is a Roland VK-77.  I know there are newer ones, but this one meets my needs and will probably last until I quit playing.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 12:27:30 AM »
Wonder if Presonus is waiting for Dante Via (end of 2014) and write code to support it assuming latencies aren't a problem. It will save a bunch of $$ compared with X-32 Dante card. Then Firewire would be irrelevant.
 https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-via
They already have a 1 Gig Ethernet connection. :)
When in doubt KISS

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 03:11:53 PM »
The market is soon to be awash with all these 16 and 32 channel digi  efforts, crazy, the most prolific form of entertainment and the best paid compared to bands and such is the solo entertainer, or guitar vocalist, or duo, shame that apart from sm pro and dl806  these guys are being completely ignored by the industry,

4 channels  in a 1u case is the future

:)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:15:01 PM by Kev tyler »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
[...] the most prolific form of entertainment and the best paid compared to bands and such is the solo entertainer, or guitar vocalist, or duo, shame that apart from sm pro and dl806  these guys are being completely ignored by the industry, 4 channels  in a 1u case is the future :)
I think only 4 channels is a bit tight for a duo - they often times will have someone else sit in on harmonica or some such, and need an extra mic for announcements. Then you need a couple for playback of break music and/or tracks. So now you're at 8 channels which IMO is the "sweet spot" for a duos mixer :) . I have a common "acoustic" amp with one instrument and one mic channels that I don't use much and a Carvin 4 channel all-in-one cab PA that's useful but I often wish for a couple few more channels.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 06:18:32 PM »
OTOH for my "big" mixer I'd like a 20-24 channel, 16 can get crowded on occasion. Seems like most everyone is skipping over the 24 channel market :( . If Mackie's rackmount only comes as a 32 I might be inclined to look at the Behringer X32 Rack a bit more with it's 16+6 channel capacity. A 16 channel plus stereo input (for break music/tracks) plus a couple mono line inputs (for wireless mics) is my dream mixer :) .

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 11:47:18 PM »
Hi guys

I was thinking along the lines of the dl range which have Ipad playback plus 16 or 8 inputs,

So the imaginary dl 4,  for solos thats plenty, duo 2 mics + 2 instruments fine, harmony trio or  4  piece vocal act with backing, no problem,

4 is a nice number, 1u is a nice format too,

Motu are making some nice low Actual physical  channel  count products but I am not willing to fork out 1400 euros when I only want to plug a mic and a pad in

Cheers

Kev
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 12:18:12 AM by Kev tyler »