Author Topic: Presonus new rack mixers  (Read 8588 times)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: Presonus new rack mixers
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 10:09:54 AM »
I think you run into the law of diminishing returns with such a low channel count, A 1U box will happily house 8/4 I/O plus a couple of stereo line inputs, with that you'd have enough inputs if your vocal quartet brought a piano player and saxophonist to supplement their tracks  :D

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 10:35:47 AM »
Hi Sam

I know what you mean about diminishing returns, but  I just wonder how much money mackie and behringer etc make out of the awful array of budget mixers and tat and speakers and amps that  they knock out.

Look at behringer, apart from the dcx crossover and the x range, their pa products are average at best,

Mackie , dl range, great concept, I wouldn't plug one in to an srm speaker though,

There must be money in junk, enough to subsidise a low channel count quality mixer to give them a bit of kudos,

Regarding the 500 euro nearly there product, I really fancied the motu ultralite mk3, shame you can't run it direct from a pad without needing a pc and a router too.

As for the suggestions of people just popping up with harmonicas and sax and pianos,  and needing extra channels, that is never going to happen, you are booked as a solo or duo, that's what they get and you take the necessary bit of kit.

Kev
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 12:13:00 PM by Kev tyler »

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 03:18:52 PM »
I also get your point about having the most compact kit which will do the job. But, I have a DL1608 and don't see the point in having anything smaller (well I do have an old 1202 VLZ from "Before Digital" but it's barely any smaller than the DL) I use it for everything from my duo up to 5/6/7 piece bands, scaling the rest of the rig as necessary. If there's room for a couple of K12s for FOH there's room for the DL, if not then I'm down to an AER Compact60 or two as the entire system.  :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 03:20:38 PM by sam.spoons »

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 04:02:20 PM »
Hi Sam

Yes mate, I really fancy the 806, I am just being a bit of a fuss pot , all behringers coming soon nonsense put me off buying the 16 and now I am wondering if I should just wait to see if the x air or x18 come to pass or wait and see how the sm pro works out, the QSC looks really good too.  but just a bit pricey for me , I think if you are going to use a pad onstage and physically work from a docked pad then the mackie is the way to go, I feel a bit sorry for mackie regarding the dl sales as I bet loads of people have been duped by berry and its non products.

Sorry mate this text is all over the place, no cursor on many forums since the iOS upgrade

Cheers

Kev

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 04:31:58 PM »
I love the DL, but I haven't had any of the issues a few people on here have had (dropped sync, white noise etc) I've had mine for nearly two years now and it's been brilliant. As I said I will almost certainly be buying an X32 Compact soon for the increased channel count and the physical faders but I'll be keeping the DL for smaller gigs and as a backup desk on the bigger gigs. TBH I see no penalty in using my 16 input mixer for my duo other than initial outlay. The iPad on the mic stand works fine even though you can't run it and a playback app side by side (i.e. you need to swap from one to the other to use) but if you can make your mix as "set and forget" as possible it'll work fine. I use My Lyric Book alongside MF live and don't have to switch too often.

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
Hi Sam

If have the pad on a stand, and an express plugged in to a bare dl, when I switch to the playback app to select a song, which would be transmitted wirelessly and then select the master fader app, does it have to hand shake again? Are there any associated problems working this way, for example would it interupt the AirPlay and try to route it to the mini Jack?

My iPhone has just decided to not recognize the Bluetooth antennas and the wi fi antennas, freezing it and overheating with a hair dryer  remedied this temporarily lol,  I am not happy and put off buying a i5 or i6  what a bummer as  I reckon for solo vox I would get away with an airturn pedal and a docked pad with the playback app on top, pre planned set, minor  Volume changes from a iPhone,

It's all decisons decisons, but with respect to my post on the dl bracket and tray etc, out of the question right now, 850 euros plus new iPhone, these companies must be rubbing their hands with us mugs. Lol

Cheers

Kev

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 09:39:31 PM »
The MF app will handshake each time you reactivate it but it's not a problem.

I use an Airturn pedal with "My Lyric Book" and it works very well. Can't comment on other uses though. I would think it would work well though from my experience.

The iPhone with My Fader will give you a solid backup surface.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 09:44:55 PM by sam.spoons »

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 09:47:57 PM »
Thanks Sam

I am trying to get up to speed with all the threads

Thanks for your help

Kev

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 01:02:36 AM »
The MF app will handshake each time you reactivate it but it's not a problem.

I use an Airturn pedal with "My Lyric Book" and it works very well. Can't comment on other uses though. I would think it would work well though from my experience.

The iPhone with My Fader will give you a solid backup surface.

I should be able to give a report on using an ik Blue Board with OnSong and MF on an iPad Mini running iOS 8.0.2 after Saturday night.... I'll have an iPhone 5 with My Fader handy, too...
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 02:11:50 PM »
Hi guys

I just watched the half hour on line demo on the presonus web site, that software looks great, a lot of staged questions from the guests though,

Nobody asked the bearded bloke how to turn the fx off, or why they didn't make a 8 ch version.

Kev

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2014, 12:18:41 AM »
Hi guys

I just watched the half hour on line demo on the presonus web site, that software looks great, a lot of staged questions from the guests though,

Nobody asked the bearded bloke how to turn the fx off, or why they didn't make a 8 ch version.

Kev

Sounds impressive (no pun intended). And yeah, some definite shills in the crowd. :)

I've used the existing StudioLive and the iPad app, and I wasn't real thrilled. This control software looks a bit nicer.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA