Author Topic: Tango iOS app Remote control of pads and phones via wi fi  (Read 5897 times)

Kev tyler

• Knight
Tango iOS app Remote control of pads and phones via wi fi
« on: September 28, 2014, 11:00:31 PM »
hi guys

It seems remote playback of interval  music is mentioned a lot on here, using a pad and airport express and that dreaded 2 second gap, I just thought I would mention the free app Tango, I have used it in the house and it's fine has anyone done gigs with it

Basically you put it on iOS devices and if you had 2 iPads or iPhones one becomes the master and one becomes the remote, it works on wi fi and there is no lag, as the audio is direct from the master device.

Cheers

Kev
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 11:02:17 PM by Kev tyler »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Tango iOS app Remote control of pads and phones via wi fi
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 01:00:30 AM »
You can see what some of us are using here.  http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=609.msg5135#msg5135
I prefer to use a cable or Bluetooth for that. Oh yes and Bluetooth doesn't limit you to ifruits.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:08:13 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 08:01:59 AM »
Hey Kev,
I use Tango frequently and its a great job ;)
The older I get, the better I was!

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 10:24:43 AM »
Cheers guys

I think if the transport buttons were bigger it would be a contender for my my playback of my backingbtracks, my eyesight is awful, it is great for a free app though.

So for me I use pauser pro and one track for emergency and have purchased set list maker too,  which is a daft name considering what that app does,

Cheers

Kev

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 11:17:56 AM »
I tried "Set List Maker" and found it next to useless, got a refund off iTunes. "My Lyric Book" OTOH is great, dead easy to use, I can even get lyrics into it on the iPad without needing to connect to my MacBook iTunes. Editing existing lyrics requires an export to Pages and back but it's easy once you've done it a couple of times.

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 11:41:30 AM »
Hi Sam

It looks like like a complicated app but good app, what was your problem with it,

I bought it because it had midi and thought it would work well with my new berry x18 :lol: and have sidelined it, also I

Didn't fancy bolting that ik midi thing to my pad, I think there is huge scope for the hardware companies to create an app to suit their mixers.

I like a simple life, why can't I get in to I tunes or similar  and create a playlist and then similar to the way you drop in a lyric file  or the id3 tag?

Do this For example

Robbie Williams- Angels- Scene one- scene two

Gene Vincent - Be bop A Lu la- scene three - scene two

Port the list to your pad and then for the sake of simplicity , dock it via a normal cable .

Meaning you sing angels with a lush reverb, song ends and mixer jumps to scene two , dry vocals

Then you Sing be bop a lu la, slap back echo, then it jumps to to dry vocals at the end.

For more complex situations buy a Mac and pro tools get a degree,

I think my request is no big deal

Kev
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:48:44 AM by Kev tyler »

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 11:33:41 AM »
Try Louder Logic. I use channels 15/16 linked to a minijack on my Airport Express and use airplay from my remote device. It has nice crossover controls so I don't ever get that gap. I have Tango as well, but IMHO, Louder Logic is much easier to navigate.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 12:52:39 PM »
Thanks so much

Will have a google

Cheers

Edit, thanks but i am happy with my apps,,

When you say you don't get a gap, do you mean the gap is being absorbed by the cross fade? I am using a playback app for backing  tracks and presume there is no way around that dreaded gap on AirPlay?

Thanks

Kev
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:58:11 PM by Kev tyler »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 06:52:20 PM »
Kev

Just doing some searching for playback apps like you were looking for and came across this one in the App Store

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/play-on-cue/id323796203?mt=8

I haven't done much research on it but it may be worth a look see?

And Harpman... I use Louder Logic (paid version) for walk in/out music with AirPlay and I think it's great on my iPod Touch or iPad.  :thu:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 07:33:21 PM »
Was just looking at the what is on your ipad thread.  I added to that back in February.  Probably time to do an update.  I for one found FX Live to be very useful in my Senior's variety show and the subsequent show I did last summer.  Previously, I wasn't sure it would be good.  We've all had time to consider the pros and cons of extra software on our ipads that is useful in conjunction with using our mixers.  (Though I didn't use the DL for the first Senior's show, I did use it for the last one and will probably be using it for the next one.)  I do find myself using one ipad for mixing and the other for additional functions.  OnSong while gigging.  FX Live for sound effects, recordings and notes (Mic assignments, Scene changes....)

tmn126

• Youngling
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 07:36:19 PM »
Hi Kev,

I use Tango quite often for our bands break music and have also used it to do intro music at a couple weddings and some other events.  Cross my fingers, I have yet to have any "akward" moments using tango (knock on wood)  :)  I did howevery run into a little connectivity issue once when the player and remote were at different update levels, since then I make sure I update them all at the same time. 

It also makes it really easy to update your playlist on the go without messing it up, and its nice that it will link up on bluetooth or wifi.

Cheers,

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 10:24:29 AM »
Hi guys

I have tried most of the apps for live playback of backing tracks and the all important auto pause, I am happy with the two I have,

I think the issue here, regardless of the flavour of app we all prefer, is this,

If I purchase a dl mixer and dock my pad with my playback app of choice up front, with master fader in the background, does the airturn still work, does my fader on a phone stay connected while master fader is in the background.

I think having control of the levels via a phone will be less problematic that switching between the mackie and playback app?

Cheers

Kev

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 01:04:12 PM »
That should work fine, I use My Lyric Book with Airturn while using another iDevice to control the desk, usually another iPad but I'm sure I've used the iPhone at the same time. I'll set it up and try it later and post if it doesn't work.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 03:42:42 PM »
Just tried it with the iPad docked (WiFi off) My Lyric Book in foreground and responding to Airturn. MyFader controls the DL fine.

BTW, I always understood that an iPod running MasterFader had to be connected to the DL for MyFader to work but I've just tried it with all other iDevices switched off and it works stand-alone, just fine (obviously you only have limited control but better than nothing should the iPad go TTU).

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »
Thanks So much for your time  Chas, really appreciate that, I have put some gear up for sale, might shock you all with a purchase soon lol.

I wish there was an app bit of kit designed  to bring some punters in, it's dead here, how's your gigs goin?

Cheers

Kev