Author Topic: DL32R vs X32Rack  (Read 51535 times)

Jkowtko

• Padawan
DL32R vs X32Rack
« on: October 15, 2014, 11:26:17 PM »
Just wondering what peoples' preferences will be between these two mixers.   They are very different ... the X32 giving you a lot more control on the front surface.  The DL32R looks more like a patch panel.

Will anyone purchase a DL32R for FOH?  Or even club bands?

lightguy48

• Padawan
Re: DL32R vs X32Rack
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 11:57:47 PM »
I've looked at the X32 Rack before but it has the ability for both PC & iPad control plus the ability to act as snake for an X32. 

The DL32R has some nice improvements, obviously the recallable preamps and multi-track capability is a really nice thing that has been sorely missing from the 1608 but the X32 Rack also has the ability for a networked PC to control in the event of an iPad failure, does the DL32R have that ability?  I didn't notice it if it does have it... that's a nice safety net to have.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 01:51:14 AM »
I have to say that I'm partial to the clean look of the X32 rack. But major I/O is out the back which, depending on where it's used and your preferences, can be good or bad. I/O out front like the DL32 means never having to lean over the back to get at any cables, especially when you can't really always get to the back. Out front is convenient and out back is tidy etc.etc. I know we can't have our cake and eat it too. Would be nice to have the best of both worlds though.

One point that I noted (plus a whole bunch of others of course): X32 rack has only 16 XLR inputs. DL32 has 32 XLR inputs. (I know, Captain Obvious here) Gonna have to sit down and do in depth comparison features of both. They are similar and different in good ways from what I've seen so far. It's up to individual tastes and preferences I guess.

Since the good experience with my pseudo owned (school's) DL1608, I'm kinda leaning towards the look and premise of the DL32 and would hope performance and reliability are on par with theirs (Mackie's) and our expectations. I'm happy with the 1608. I don't think I could convince the school to upgrade anytime soon.  ;)  Method in my madness or madness in my method?  >:D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:12:14 AM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 05:32:15 AM »
I'm convinced that Apple needs to build a much larger ipad for a better control surface.  (And I have some Apple stock that I bought for $20 a share.   (Split 14 to 1 over the years.))  That said, My next laptop has to have a touch screen.  My current MacBook Pro has all sorts of finger prints on the screen where I tried to use the non-existant touch screen. 

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 05:34:20 AM »
And that's before you throw the PreSonus rack into the mix... three-way shoot out required :-)

Elantric

• Initiate
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 05:38:06 AM »
Hello - I'm known as "Elantric" at most places ( Vguitarforums, Harmony-Central  - and "stevekc" at Line-6 forums - I already recognize a few names here in my search for the most active Mackie User Forum today.

Back to the topic, I've been in the market for a month reviewing modern live mixers with modern multi Ipad monitor control for separate monitor mixes, but my focus has been locating a mixer that offers  direct to USB drive multi-track recording of shows / rehearsals - without a computer.
 I've  looking deeply at  StageScape M20D ( not enough inputs, too many cartoons) the X32Rack ( but that one will not record without a PC/Mac), flat rejected the Presonus offerings because my 2012 Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL  is a crackling/sputtering  P.O.S. right out of the box. 

24 hours ago i was sold on the QSC Touchmix16 - which might still be the best fit for my needs/goals -  then I saw the announcement today of the new Mackie DL32R and now I'm reconsidering and focused on learning all I can. It looks like a mixer  / audio interface I can use for several years with its rich featureset - and in my searching, often folks highlight the Ipad Mackie Master Fader app as the best of the bunch - and already I see its more intuitive for my brain compared to the others ive tried. ( QSC Touchmix, Presonus )

and the reports are the Mackie DL boards have decent audio perfomance and headroom  / dynamic range -although I do read reports of a "too phasy" final output EQ stage.

Anyway, if I postpone my iPhone  6 Plus upgrade another month ;)   the DL32R seems like it might suit my needs a while longer than the competition, as it not only works as a standalone life gig multitrack recorder / mixer - but also doubles as a 32 in / 32 out Audio interface for my 2012 Macbook Pro,  and reviewing the DL32R block diagram  and I/O count with creative routing I could conceivably employ my  older third party external hardware FX (remember those?) and it also  advertised to allow incorporation of  PC/Mac hosted VSTi FXs at live shows - but it is a 33 pound box that needs fans running and a road case  - while the QSC Touchmix16 that 100 meets my current needs with its softcase wont scuff the interior of my vehicle ;), and hey do I really need 32 inputs? (rather like asking do I need another guitar )

But I'm very impressed and will probably pull the trigger for the DL32R - assuming a solid robust drop free connection to an Ipad Air (still running IOS 7) is possible

#Invalid YouTube Link#

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 05:41:10 AM »
At the risk of sounding like a fan boy I will attempt to answer the OP question as objectively as possible.

I can only speak for myself with an answer that I will not be purchasing a DL32R anytime soon or perhaps ever unless had for $_00.00 secondhand in the distant future. I`ve already made a purchase and acquisition of an X32Rack two weeks ago. An easy decision from my perspective based on good measure of the the time had with the obvious 3 company`s, Mack.., Behr....., and Pres.... currently available digital mixers over the past two years of ownership & end user experience.
Aside from my own conclusion I suggest to do the math. We of course are comparing apples to apples now, racks only. Using pricing from Sweet......;
X32R / $1,200 AND S16 / $900 = $2,100
RM32AI / $2,000
DL32R / $2,000

X32R / S16 combo additional $100 out of pocket nets full 16 xlr assignable, 6 1/4 inch, stereo monitor outs. Dedicated talkback input/bus, 6 1/4 inch aux inputs.
Dual AES50 ports, ULTRANET. Front panel Hi-res color TFT screen and controls that provide emergency mix capability. 32x 32 USB interface recording capable since version -.101 , with your fave DAW (Reaper). Effects and graphic EQ`s fully assignable. And did I mention the the Effects. Real Verbs !!! And yes I do mean that as a Dis to BOTH the others! Network interfacing options within the X-Family of products.
And then there is the official software remote UI offerings. IOS, PC, MAC and Android. And the unofficial MixStation ( slam dunk ! ).

3 Year Warranty (read the fine print and register within 30 days). Responsive tech support on official manufacturers and various forums. Firmware/software updates/upgrades that have generally been very well received.

After consideration of this comparison, it would seem to me that the possible primary reason(s) for NOT going the Xroute  would be the preference of UI, sound, lack of need for computer for recording, or need for 64 mix, 52x34 record with two RM32AI.

Now the aforementioned pricing is for reference. I purchased on card new in box, out the door, CA USA for under $1K. At that price one can buy TWO X-Racks TODAY for LESS than the other PRE-ORDER pricing. 

I do hope to eventually PLAY with and LISTEN to the others in time. Meanwhile I expect to be fully satisfied with the X-Rack this weekend. And the next. And next month. And next year.

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 05:52:50 AM »
I'm convinced that Apple needs to build a much larger ipad for a better control surface.  (And I have some Apple stock that I bought for $20 a share.   (Split 14 to 1 over the years.))  That said, My next laptop has to have a touch screen.  My current MacBook Pro has all sorts of finger prints on the screen where I tried to use the non-existant touch screen.

And who knows what may be unveiled in Cupertino in a few hours......

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 06:09:53 AM »
To the previous posters:
There will be computer control of the DL32r, that's what the usb b is for on the back - output 32x32 didn't Beno say?
"If the iPad dies" surely you'll have even an iPhone handy? What if the x32 rack dies (more likely scenario) what then?
The multi recording to an onboard HDD is the x32 rack killer alone for me.
Plus it doesn't need the three year warranty gimmick to try and get people to trust it's manufacturer.
It looks solid and workmanlike. The new MF looks great.
In the real world I would have much more confidence in the dl32r than I'd ever have in an x32 rack.
My previous experiences with Behringer have been bad, Presonus more favourable.
My one and only Mackie purchase has been superb - the DL1608.
If it comes down just to the price, of course it's not going to be as cheap as a Behringer.
Yeah, I could get "x" number of x32 racks for the price of my current setup but I be happier with buying something I trusted.
What use 8FX engines when it won't power up some night, at a gig, in the middle of nowhere, within the 3 year warranty?

Just my 2p worth :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:32:16 AM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 06:54:09 AM »

Will anyone purchase a DL32R for FOH?  Or even club bands?

OOops, failed to address this second and third question. Yes & yes. However I would think there would be very few instances of a full swap of rack format for desk at FOH as the preference for a familiar tactile interface is the norm.

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 08:03:37 AM »
To the previous posters:
There will be computer control of the DL32r, that's what the usb b is for on the back - output 32x32 didn't Beno say?
"If the iPad dies" surely you'll have even an iPhone handy? What if the x32 rack dies (more likely scenario) what then?
The multi recording to an onboard HDD is the x32 rack killer alone for me.
Plus it doesn't need the three year warranty gimmick to try and get people to trust it's manufacturer.
It looks solid and workmanlike. The new MF looks great.
In the real world I would have much more confidence in the dl32r than I'd ever have in an x32 rack.
My previous experiences with Behringer have been bad, Presonus more favourable.
My one and only Mackie purchase has been superb - the DL1608.
If it comes down just to the price, of course it's not going to be as cheap as a Behringer.
Yeah, I could get "x" number of x32 racks for the price of my current setup but I be happier with buying something I trusted.
What use 8FX engines when it won't power up some night, at a gig, in the middle of nowhere, within the 3 year warranty?

Just my 2p worth :)
Well, depending on if you have yourself one `dem `der real old 2pencers you might have something of real value.
But when it comes to the topic at hand, in the real world poop happens. Such is reason for redundancy or back-up plans. Redundant Pads, Lappies, Routers, Wall-Warts, Cabling, DSP Wundaboxes, Powered FOH speaker are all at the ready for the unexpected , RIGHT ?
Besides, as stated, one can emergency mix from the X-Rack panel. Try that on the M or P.
Computer control and 32x32 recording, when? And will it be proprietary ala QSC Touchmix.
Personally I don`t perk up just cause `Beno' speaks. Ask yourself, how many on the payroll Mackoids other than Beno chime or check in to this or any other forum.
Warranty? 7 years on my Yamaha DSR`s and 6 years on QSC`s IMO translates to confidence for the consumer. Behr..... and Pres.... warranty and out of warranty service is in house one shop stop resulting in what I interpret as knowledge,experience and concern for quality control in service . Mackie is different as I have found due to my DEAD DL1608. Mackie DL out of warranty products go to New Jersey, while under warranty head up to Woodinville presumably just swapped out. What might that tell you I ask?
MF is wonderful. I have acknowledged in another thread the stand out allure and simplicity of MF and would very well understand anyone`s decision based on the UI. Very similar to the long lived by adage borne out of the very early days of consumer computer digital audio software. Choose the software and the platform will follow.
8,4, or 2 effects. The X has the real deal and I am willing to put your 2Pence to my nickel that that nothing much has improved in the DL32R/ MF 3. That is a deal killer for me.
Natural human reaction for many peeps, once bitten , twice shy.
Ok, I will ask. What is your setup?

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »
Hey James,
My 2p's are just the regular ones in circulation here in the UK. ;)

I can see the points you are making, they will make X series buyers feel all warm and fuzzy.
Redundancy, backups and warranties are all great when you have them. Behr**ger gear has a hard earned reputation for being cheap and unreliable.
Because they're so cheap, lots have been sold, therefore lots of voices on the net are justifying their purchases - just like you. I'm not buying the hype ;)

My story is a familiar one, bought cheap Beh***ger gear out of necessity and budget over the years, and got what I deserved.
I'm not particularly wealthy but I would rather put my money in trusted brands, my main digital desk is an A&H. I'm very happy with my DL too.
I don't get a cold sweat every time I hit the power button on it or my DL1608. Perhaps for you, it's the opposite, since you had a "dead" DL1608.

No matter how good the x-range might seem to some people it doesn't shine to me.
I personally know of a very popular act here who has two x32 consoles 'cause one died mid gig.
I can't see the logic in that, I'd have bought something else at the earliest opportunity!

We'll all see different merits in our choices but I hope your new x32 rack goes well for you James.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »
I have done a huge amount of reading about the X32 over the last year and I can count the "X32 failed" posts on the fingers of one hand compared to literally hundreds of post saying what a great desk it is. There are probably more X32s sold than all other digital desks put together (likely ten times more) yet the failure rate on my 'internet straw poll' is little different from other manufacturers products. If I could afford a GLD and stagebox I would buy one like a shot (I use one at work) but I can't so an X32 Compact is on the way. I will take a backup desk to gigs with me but I would if I had a GLD or Expression (or Digico etc TBH) 'cos stuff fails. It doesn't matter if the failure rate is 10% or .01%, if yours is the .01% one that goes TTU you still need a backup.

Fortunately I'm not in the position of having to pander to the badge obsessed classes and my clients aren't expecting me to turn up with an LS9 or Midas or WHY (Digico on a rider for a pub gig anyone?).

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 09:53:19 AM »
Hey Sam,
My straw poll doesn't bode well lol!
I only know one real life x32 owner and his failed mid gig.
Horses for courses.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 10:00:50 AM »
He was the .01%er :lol: