Author Topic: DL & DAW`s  (Read 2735 times)

James91104

• Knight
DL & DAW`s
« on: October 19, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »
What with the current state of offerings currently and soon to be available in the consumer market of performance audio digital mixers, PADM`s, I would like to share an observation in the way of an analogy between the UI of PADM`s and DAW`s.

Protools,S1,Sonar,Reaper. DL,X32,QU, QL,etc. Minimum to mega moola. Two channels to 64 channels.
Both mediums essentially function and accomplish their expected and respective tasks similarly. Input, process and/or record, and output audio. The glaring differences is in the UI. Of course there are differences of hardware, and HW/SW combinations which amount to choices for the consumer to consider, and decisions to make.
Sound quality, form factor, company reputation, all factor in to some degree or another in purchase, recommendation or acquisition scenarios.

But IMHO it is the UI that may ultimately factor the largest in such decision making with this relatively new product market segment of PADM`s.
Whereas many users are already well experienced with these new products with much hands-on time and would eagerly anticipate further new product experience, it is the inexperienced and less eager that perhaps the UI will factor in encouraging or discouraging these potential consumers.

Here IMO is where the DL/MF best chance at success exists. By my accounts of cyber surfing the DL/MF idiom, it is the ease of use and intuitive layout of MF ( of course current state ) that is most referenced and with which I concur without reservation. Current state of MF I find to be the most intuitive and easiest to approach and navigate of the current crop of PADM Apps. Is it the best it can ever be or how can it be made better are questions that should best be answered from the user base and drawn from presumed experience with the DL/MF and others.

The documented enhancements of the anticipated release of MF 3.0 should bode well in continuing on the strength of MF appeal and attributes.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: DL & DAW`s
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 02:28:00 AM »
PADM's or Portable Audio Data Modems AFAIK have no UI. They have been around for at least a decade in various forms, just a new acronym. Bluetooth is the most recent form along with Ethernet VoIP and wireless mics. Mostly a cable replacement. As far as the DL's UI IMHO needs a lot of work to deal with real world workflow. I've designed many a UI since the 1970's and the advent of color monitors. Just my opinion. Equipment selection will always be an individual choice.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 03:37:31 AM »
I'm using Cubase with an Alesis Multi-mix 16 Firewire into my 2010 MacBook Pro.  I know the MultiMix is old, but it's fine, works consistently and is my backup and additional mixer.  That works for me.

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 04:56:30 AM »
PADM's or Portable Audio Data Modems AFAIK have no UI. They have been around for at least a decade in various forms, just a new acronym. Bluetooth is the most recent form along with Ethernet VoIP and wireless mics. Mostly a cable replacement. As far as the DL's UI IMHO needs a lot of work to deal with real world workflow. I've designed many a UI since the 1970's and the advent of color monitors. Just my opinion. Equipment selection will always be an individual choice.

Actually, I would suggest that DL32R/MF is not necessarily an equipment choice for individual use only but an ideal candidate for a multi-user scenario where the desire for ease of use and an easy learning curve of the UI of a performance audio digital mixer, PADM, is paramount.
Houses of worship, bar/clubs, high school venues are such environs that may incorporate any number of personnel who may be tasked with learning any
such equipment UI and therefore consideration of the many may trump the one. Many an A/V install proposal may have such a consideration as one of the many parameters in determining a recommendation for the client.
WK, I am curious as to what about the current MF you find needing a lot of work to deal with the real world workflow?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 07:33:17 AM »
I get it your own definition for PADM, OK.  8)
WK, I am curious as to what about the current MF you find needing a lot of work to deal with the real world workflow?

I've written about it here many times in the past, but here is an overview. Several have been addressed with MF 3. The scrolling channels is a big waste of time, I could be past 3 layer before the scroll ends. Thumb operated left side buttons would do the job. The over-sized faders and meters that aren't even accurate need to give way to  more important data. No overview and control of main and aux faders is a big omission. The mute that activates the dynamics screen instead. Poor use of color. Lack of drop-down menus. Scribble strips in a poor location, need to be centered. I could go on but I think you've gotten the idea.

In my many years of business I found that the many may have input but in the end it's the one that makes the final decision. :)
When in doubt KISS