Author Topic: Upgrading my MacBook to Yosemite  (Read 4940 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Upgrading my MacBook to Yosemite
« on: October 20, 2014, 05:22:46 AM »
Not expecting any issues with the DL1608.  There may always be an issue with the ipad/iphone backups.  Will report back after I've had some time to work with it tomorrow.

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Upgrading my MacBook to Yosemite
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 02:48:43 PM »
So far no issues with the ipads or the DL1608.  Actually, outside of making my Mac look more like a cell phone, there hasn't been much change.  (Icons are similar or the same as on my iphone and ipads.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 06:26:04 PM »
Haven't seen the new OSX Yosemite yet.  Is Mac blurring the lines like Microsoft, or the other way around? Is MS copying Mac?
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 11:03:30 PM »
I've upgraded about 14 machines to Yosemite so far. Not a single hitch. It's a good OS. Clean, fast. And the SMS relay function alone with iOS 8.1 makes it worth doing in my opinion. As far as Apple copying MS, it's always been the other way around.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 11:29:01 PM »
If MS was really copying Apple, they would stop putting so much crapware on their machines.  Apple is pretty clean at the start.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 11:45:33 PM »
If MS was really copying Apple, they would stop putting so much crapware on their machines.  Apple is pretty clean at the start.

That's for sure. I've seen older versions of OSX and even installed it a couple of times and it is very uncluttered. Nice.  :thu: Gotta save up my pennies for a MacBook one of these days.  :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 03:01:37 AM »
When I bought my MacBook Pro back in June 2010, I was just looking for a laptop that had firewire that worked correctly.  My previous Windows laptop with Firewire never could daisy chain and the USB 2 wasn't fast enough to handle 16 channels of simultaneous recording.  While USB burst is faster then firewire 400, usable throughput is three times faster on daisy chained firewire 400.  The MacBook Pro has handled firewire flawlessly and along with the firewire I needed, I got back lit keys, a 10 hour battery and an OS that I've long come to appreciate.  Sure I paid $1100 for it, but here it is more than 4 years later and even after a drive upgrade, I still get 7 hours of battery use.  You'd be hard  pressed to get that on a brand new stock Windows machine.  I'm also using a Hengedock for ease at my computer desk.  I also use a much larger screen on my desk.  Pretty happy with the results.  Now for motorcycle touring, I've gone to taking an Ipad Mini.  (Doesn't take up much space and the only things I use while touring is e-mail, Skype and some web surfing.)   

I can see that sometime I'll want to upgrade, but it will take a touchscreen on the MacBook to push me over the edge.  Until then, I'm fine.

soundog

• Youngling
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 05:10:08 PM »
....running much better for me (MacBook Pro, Late 2011) than Mavericks.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 08:47:53 PM »

Well to be fair, the Bloatware® put on most Windoze machines is put on by the hardware manufacturer rather than Microsoft. HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc., they load up all that crap.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 03:20:29 AM »
Very true.  Somehow having an additional 50 programs that you wouldn't want to use is supposed to make the computer worth more.   Like I tell other Windows users, Mac's might only have access to 4 good word processors, but for what reason do you need access to 100+ crappy word processors.  Just so you can claim 50,000+ programs?  I get a kick out of Garage Band being the worst DAW on a Mac, and there are bands putting together great demos using it.  It's a bit too simple for my tastes, but it's very functional.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 03:38:36 AM »
For my day job, I usually do one of 2 thing when I get a new Windows machine. I'll either 1) go through the Add/Remove Programs control panel and delete everything but the base OS and hardware specific drivers & apps or 2) blast the drive and install Windows from scratch. Leaving all the bloatware on there is not an option.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 04:09:11 AM »
Pretty good approach.  Windows has become better and I'm running one Windows 7 machine here at home and it has proved to be close to OS-X in stability.  Both machines have about the same level of hardware problems, but Macs used to have less than half the software issues of a Windows machine.  It's finally balancing out.  (And the world is a better place.)   I'm sorry that Windows 8 has upset so many people.  MS is correct that they needed a touch screen OS.  Maybe a different approach is needed.  We'll see.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 04:12:30 AM »
Have you check out Windows 10? http://www.cnet.com/products/microsoft-windows-10/

I'm sure they chose 10 (X) coincidentally ;)

Then there's this, speaking of copying Mac:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/28/7082441/windows-10-new-trackpad-gestures

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 06:07:48 AM »
I've upgraded about 14 machines to Yosemite so far. Not a single hitch. It's a good OS. Clean, fast. And the SMS relay function alone with iOS 8.1 makes it worth doing in my opinion. As far as Apple copying MS, it's always been the other way around.

Greg, if you have any machines that were running bootcamp, there is an issue with the upgrade to Yosemite . You lose your bootcamp partition and have to recreate the partition and reload the Windows OS. Had this happen to 2 customers in the past two weeks. Also had issues with the Apple drivers for bootcamp. Had to download them manually. There is an issue with the installer (bootcamp wizard) when trying to embed the drivers into your boot image. Pays to do image backups 😏. I actually run Yosemite in a VMWare virtual environment. Runs pretty clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 11:29:56 AM »
I've upgraded about 14 machines to Yosemite so far. Not a single hitch. It's a good OS. Clean, fast. And the SMS relay function alone with iOS 8.1 makes it worth doing  :in my opinion. As far as Apple copying MS, it's always been the other way around.

Greg, if you have any machines that were running bootcamp, there is an issue with the upgrade to Yosemite . You lose your bootcamp partition and have to recreate the partition and reload the Windows OS. Had this happen to 2 customers in the past two weeks. Also had issues with the Apple drivers for bootcamp. Had to download them manually. There is an issue with the installer (bootcamp wizard) when trying to embed the drivers into your boot image. Pays to do image backups 😏. I actually run Yosemite in a VMWare virtual environment. Runs pretty clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Haven't run bootcamp since upgrading, thanks for the heads up. 😁
The older I get, the better I was!