Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Question on Overgaining

(1/2) > >>

Scott Campbell:
So, I fully understand that providing a high level of signal, above the red so to speak, will create clipping (generally not good for sound purposes), but does this cause damage to the board if it is used excessively on the DL?

My daughter (plays the violin) recently found out that if she cranks the gain, her violin sounds quite a bit like a crunchy electric guitar.  My first thought was, WOW that's cool!! my second immediate thought was, maybe that might damage the board.

Feel free to chime in :)

RoadRanger:
I've done that going direct with bass no prob. It was somewhat commonly done on analog consoles back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth ;) .

ijpengelly:
You are over driving the ADC (analogue to digital convertor) to the point that it creates digital hash... whether the voltage at the chip is damaging is probably better answered by someone with more knowledge of the component parts, but I can't imagine a small amount of clipping will hurt... hammering it might in the long run. On electric guitars, that is effectively what you are doing with a distortion channel, though they are designed for that application.

Greg C.:
Highly unlikely there would be damage overdriving any low current audio circuit these days unless it was a truly poor design.

Scott Campbell:
Alrighty then! 

Thanks for the feedback.

( maybe feedback is a swearword in this forum  ;D )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version