Author Topic: sending mains to club PA  (Read 4100 times)

iwerica

• Youngling
sending mains to club PA
« on: October 29, 2014, 05:38:50 PM »
hello to all. if you are doing gig at big club,where your PA isnt sufficient to cover the whole club,how could you send your mix to club PA? usually I have to foward them a signal through a stereo rca cable. my mixes are usually in mono, so is it possible that I send them aux6, with all chanels set on 0db and post fader, put in aux6 mono male jack - rca female cable, and then put rca splitter, and then plug clubs PA rca stereo cable in it?
I hope you understand my problem and you can help...

Wynnd

• Master
Re: sending mains to club PA
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 05:54:12 PM »
Using one of the Aux channels is a viable idea.  First consideration is are you running the entire band through the PA?  If the total mix is exactly what you want the audience to hear, hear is the approach.  Assign Aux 6 (for example.) set it up as post fader channels at 0 db and start with the output fader down then raised up to the level you need.  You will have access to the 31 band EQ on that Aux as well as output compression if you need it.  I would HPF at the frequency that the clubs speakers need. (Hopefully someone knows or there is good documentation.) 

This gets quite complicated if you need a different mix than the FOH.  I'm not even going to try to explain that, but the pitfalls are numerous.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 06:11:58 PM »
The biggest potential problem you will face is the unknown PA system. I would bring a DI box or at minimum or use a better power supply for the DL. See pin one problem posts on this forum.
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 06:48:02 PM »
If the club's system is reasonably large it's likely to have balanced inputs, probably on XLRF but maybe TRS jack. You're much better using a balanced connection to the system, Phono/rca jacks are a very poor connector for a pro rig (though good on domestic stuff that doesn't need connecting and re-connecting as they have large contact areas) and are unbalanced so long runs are much more likely to pick up interference.

redwood

• Padawan
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 06:53:52 PM »
I'd advance the gig if it's close by. Take your mixer, a bunch of cables and adapters and test it out if possible.

I agree on the RCA stuff, if there's a balanced in, use it

iwerica

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 11:09:33 PM »
i am runnin whole band in mix,and i need that same mix to send in club PA. my problem is that club mixer are usualy dj mixer with only rca or jack stereo inputs,and they have PA set up in stereo.
if i put in aux6 stereo male jack-2x rca female cable, and than plug rca stereo cable to clubs PA, i would not have one side of sound into club PA, becouse aux6 is mono. but will it work if i put rca spliter like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pc-Monster-RCA-AV-Audio-Y-Splitter-Plug-Adapter-1-Male-to-2-Female-/330759883788 ? club PA should have 2 same signal in stereo then...?

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 11:13:07 PM »
In case you missed it in the manual.  All the Aux outputs are TRS balanced outputs.  If at all possible, you should be taking advantage of them.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 11:17:20 PM »
If you have an additional Aux channel, you can pair them together for left/right stereo. (Feature introduced in Master Fader 2.0) But keep in mind that most PAs even when stereo are really being run as double mono.  (Exact same signal out of both channels.) You can safely split the signal between the two channels and you only need to increase the signal strength 3 DBs. 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 11:18:45 PM »
i am runnin whole band in mix,and i need that same mix to send in club PA. my problem is that club mixer are usualy dj mixer with only rca or jack stereo inputs,and they have PA set up in stereo.
if i put in aux6 stereo male jack-2x rca female cable, and than plug rca stereo cable to clubs PA, i would not have one side of sound into club PA, becouse aux6 is mono. but will it work if i put rca spliter like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pc-Monster-RCA-AV-Audio-Y-Splitter-Plug-Adapter-1-Male-to-2-Female-/330759883788 ? club PA should have 2 same signal in stereo then...?
Just pair 5&6 aux unless you're pushing the limit on aux's. Balanced to unbalanced issues still apply to both.
When in doubt KISS

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 12:44:18 AM »
If you're running your system mono, then I would send the Right output to your PA and the Left output to theirs (using whatever adapters are needed). This would be the exact same mix to both systems. The only down side is you will only have one output EQ.