Author Topic: Apple airport express. My thoughts.  (Read 10290 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Apple airport express. My thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 08:03:19 PM »
If it's practical, what about sticking your Airport Express on top of one of your tripod mounted FOH speakers? It can be placed at the back of the top on one of the cabs, so it can't be noticed. Would that give you better Line of Sight reception?  Of course you would need a longer power and CAT5 cable as well.
Are you ready for a boatload of EMI?
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 08:11:31 PM »
If it's practical, what about sticking your Airport Express on top of one of your tripod mounted FOH speakers? It can be placed at the back of the top on one of the cabs, so it can't be noticed. Would that give you better Line of Sight reception?  Of course you would need a longer power and CAT5 cable as well.
Are you ready for a boatload of EMI?

Not particularly.  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 09:17:27 PM »
In my experience i only have had dropouts when i placed my express up high on top off my speakers , it seems that the express has a half hemisphere coverage ,the dropouts ceased when i took it down and placed it next to the mixer about 2' above the floor.
If in doubt ask

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 10:54:29 PM »
To WK and Topsøe:

Thanks for the good advice and information.  :)

So definitely not on top of a speaker then. Thought it was a good idea.  ::) My Express has always worked fine beside the DL on the mixing desk.   ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 11:43:30 PM »
To WK and Topsøe:

Thanks for the good advice and information.  :)

So definitely not on top of a speaker then. Thought it was a good idea.  ::) My Express has always worked fine beside the DL on the mixing desk.   ;)

That's where I usually sit mine (beside the DL that is) and get pretty good results.  I only use the 5ghz as there are now lots of digital mic's using 2.4ghz.

I did have some problems the other night with interference from a analogue radio mic - moving the express away from the mic receiver solved the issue (as you would expect).

Cheers

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:40:08 AM by Fluddman »

iBloke

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 12:49:57 AM »

I'm sorry about the use of American distances and notations.  I can work in meters and generally just think of them as about the same length as a yard.  (Pretty close.) So an American Football field is just a little shorter than 100 meters.  (About the distance traveled in a car while attempting to read a text just before causing an accident.)

:) no worries Wynnd.
It's just that Australia converted to the metric system when I was about 6 (about 46 years ago) so I really can't get my head around the old inches/feet/yards/miles system.
All I know is there are 12" in 1' and there are 3' in a yard. But that's about the extent of my understanding.  :)

Most of the rooms I work in are relatively small so having a huge wifi range is not terribly important .

The thing I dig the most with the airport is its simple interface, and even when it does drop out it quickly reconnects with no fuss. Unlike the d-link .

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 01:46:42 AM »
I'm with you 100%.  The Airport Express makes setting up WiFi look so simple.  And any Network Tech can tell you that it can be much harder to do successfully.  (I was a PC/Netware/Network tech in a previous life.  CNA and A+ Certified.  Been out of the field about 13 years now.) 

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 05:45:41 AM »
Just as an aside, I chose the express but thought about going for an extreme as it would have provided extended range.

The small size of the express was the main attraction for me, and as I said earlier, its been brilliant.

Cheers

iBloke

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 06:50:40 AM »
Just as an aside, I chose the express but thought about going for an extreme as it would have provided extended range.

The small size of the express was the main attraction for me, and as I said earlier, its been brilliant.

Cheers
I also dig the small size of the express.

My D-link is over twice the size, and it takes up most of the space in the bottom of my DL's road case along with the power supply and related cables.
I did briefly look at the extreme, but at $250, and over 7.5 times larger than the express it was quickly overlooked.

It's bad enough having to supply my own router to use the wireless function of the DL (I reckon it should have wireless built in)
But to carry a wireless router that's nearly the size of a house brick, and costing almost 25% of the my DL1608's purchase price would have been a hard pill to swallow.

Anyway, my whole PA gets set up in my man cave as my seriously over the top stereo between gigs.
When I load all the gear into my "truck" to go and do a gig there's more than enough spare room to carry my backup A&H Zed 10 mixer, and the D-link router. Just in case poop hits the windmill  :D

frankiebass1

• Padawan
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 06:31:50 PM »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 11:26:40 PM »
Have a look at this...

http://www.quickertek.com/products/AntennaExpress.html
Not bad if you can sucker people into spending a $100 extra for two rubber duckies. Worse for a meager 2-3 dBi.
When in doubt KISS

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 12:16:57 PM »
I have my linksys router homed in the space that squeezing a half rack radio mic receiver between the  x over and mixer above it creates,

No noise , no interference either

Most problems I encounter are through the psu for iems and receivers and such, humming through the audio leads on the back of the x over or mixer.

That's why my next generation of  mixer  and x over products will all have a 12v- 18v  1 amp outlet on the back.

Let's rid the world of stupid little black boxes.

:lol:

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 01:06:47 AM »
Gave airport express another go tonight, iPad Air mk one, using AirPlay 2 feet from each other,

It dropped halfway through the gig, embarrassing pressing stop and play waiting 2 seconds no audio and realizing that the audio had reverted to the built in speakers.

:(

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 01:10:06 AM »
Gave airport express another go tonight, iPad Air mk one, using AirPlay 2 feet from each other,

It dropped halfway through the gig, embarrassing pressing stop and play waiting 2 seconds no audio and realizing that the audio had reverted to the built in speakers.

Hey Kev,

Nice being reduced to holding a live mic up to the speaker days once again.  ;)

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 01:20:35 AM »

Hey Kev,

Nice being reduced to holding a live mic up to the speaker days once again.  ;)

Not tried that yet,

Lol