Author Topic: X18 X18R X16R X12R Details & Video  (Read 181362 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: X18 X18R X16R X12R Details & Video
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2015, 12:23:51 AM »
X32 Rack £890, UK price, Qu-Pac (vapourware) £1299-1499, close enough to 150% for me. You're right WK UK prices suck.....
Just looked at Sweetwaters Qu16 it's at $1999 and you did mean 50% not 150% otherwise I'd give that calculator a heave.
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2015, 12:38:01 AM »
The Qu-Pac is also 50% more than a Berry X32 Rack, any way you cut it it's expensive for what it offers.
It's a lot of money.
Would it be a significant enough step up in quality for it to replace my DL at that price? I don't know.
I like the fact I could connect my stagebox to get 38 channels, but I dread the thought of mixing mostly on the current Qu-Pad app.
(I know it can all be done from the screen on the qu-pac but the iPad will probably be the main controller most of the time)
I'm always glad to get back to the actual desk when I'm using that app, that says a lot.

Quality? I seriously doubt it (except for better reverbs) IMO the DL is very good sounding. The X32 is equally good sounding and is cheaper than the Qu series across the board. If you already have bought into the A&H system then it may make sense but they are all building in China, with all the reliability issues (or not) that implies so when I needed faders I couldn't get past the price of the X32 range and that's where I jumped in the end.
My Qu24 was made in the UK, my AR2412 built in China.
I don't think the reliability issues are so much to do with China but the companies within China, what they use to build and how they build.
A&H building stuff there wouldn't bother me other than the fact that British jobs are being farmed out. If quality problems became an issue, that opinion would probably change.
I have no major gripes with the sound of the DL, even the FX, as I use them sparingly. But I genuinely think I get better results when I use the QU. Maybe it's the placebo effect, who knows?

LOL re: "vapourware". I would put a fiver on it arriving as scheduled :thu: ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:41:05 AM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2015, 12:56:46 AM »
The Qu-Pac is also 50% more than a Berry X32 Rack, any way you cut it it's expensive for what it offers.
It's a lot of money.
Would it be a significant enough step up in quality for it to replace my DL at that price? I don't know.
I like the fact I could connect my stagebox to get 38 channels, but I dread the thought of mixing mostly on the current Qu-Pad app.
(I know it can all be done from the screen on the qu-pac but the iPad will probably be the main controller most of the time)
I'm always glad to get back to the actual desk when I'm using that app, that says a lot.

Quality? I seriously doubt it (except for better reverbs) IMO the DL is very good sounding. The X32 is equally good sounding and is cheaper than the Qu series across the board. If you already have bought into the A&H system then it may make sense but they are all building in China, with all the reliability issues (or not) that implies so when I needed faders I couldn't get past the price of the X32 range and that's where I jumped in the end.
My Qu24 was made in the UK, my AR2412 built in China.
I don't think the reliability issues are so much to do with China but the companies within China, what they use to build and how they build.
A&H building stuff there wouldn't bother me other than the fact that British jobs are being farmed out. If quality problems became an issue, that opinion would probably change.
I have no major gripes with the sound of the DL, even the FX, as I use them sparingly. But I genuinely think I get better results when I use the QU. Maybe it's the placebo effect, who knows?

LOL re: "vapourware". I would put a fiver on it arriving as scheduled :thu: ;)

So the QU has even got a placebo effect!  ;)

Wish I had that on my DL - i'll just have to make do with the crappy reverb and delay.

Cheers

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2015, 12:59:24 AM »
 :lol:
Good one Fluddman!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:01:27 AM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2015, 04:29:58 PM »
Hey Robbo I'd answer your PM but I'm blocked. ::) In any case yes and I think they kissed  and made up since.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2015, 05:35:25 PM »
Few comments about made in China.  My MixWiz was made in China.  Everything was still working perfectly when I sold it last year.  My iphones were made in China.  No quality issues there either.  Many of my recent Mac computers were made in China.  Again, no problems and amazing battery life.  (Still get more than 4 hours surfing the web on my 5 year old macbook pro.  That's way down from the nearly 10 hours when new, but better than many brand new windows laptops, and I had upgraded the harddrive which is a bit thirstier.) 

Not everything I've gotten from China has been great.  But I remember Japanese cupie dolls in the 60s.  Real junk!  And now just about everything out of Japan is excellent.  China is probably 80% the quality of Japan and that's generally a very good compliment.  (And the Republic of Korea is very close too.)  I would like to see more stuff manufactured in the USA.  Honda even quit making GoldWings here.  (After nearly 40 years of building them only in Ohio.)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2015, 05:43:41 PM »
I wasn't intending my comment about China to suggest poor reliability, just that whatever you buy in our price range, A&H, Berry, Mackie, Soundcraft Ui/zed, they are virtually all manufactured in China (I couldn't find and actual info on where each 'manufacturer' has there mixers built but if the A&H Qu is 'built' in the UK I'll bet all the circuit boards are Chinese manufacture) with whatever reliability consequences that involves. I have a DL1608 and an X32 Compact, both made in China, and have no reliability concerns. If they were made in the EU/UK/US I doubt I could afford them.

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2015, 06:19:02 PM »
I would like to see more stuff manufactured in the USA.  Honda even quit making GoldWings here.  (After nearly 40 years of building them only in Ohio.)

Off topic. But I reckon it needs to be said.

I've owned more motorcycles than I've had hot dinners..well not quite, but hey..

Out of my 17 brand new motorcycles the most unreliable pieces of junk have been the four American made ones.
Three Harley davidsons, and a Buell.

All the others were oriental made and were/are 100% reliable, and ran/run like clockwork.

As a consequence I actively avoid anything made in America.

Just my educated observation.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2015, 06:46:16 PM »
I can't recall anyone saying that the Goldwing was anything less than rock solid.  Harley's on the other hand have had their problems.  My Son has a Triumph Sprint that has been solid.  My GT750 sheared a woodruff key, and had the stator coil go open circuit while I owned it.  Had a chassis short on my CJ360T, broken front exhaust pipe, failed R&R, failed Stator on my 1989 PC800, frozen brake calipers on my 1990 PC800.  None have been perfect, but I ride a lot.  (100,000 personal miles on the 1989 PC800.)  Don't think I've ever let anyone else work on them.  Knew Gordie Seims in the 70s.  he was riding a RE-5 and noticed that he had put 30,000 miles on it in a year.  Smooth, easy to ride and the first large Suzuki that handled.   (Gordie was probably the best club racer in central California back then.)

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2015, 12:09:10 PM »
For those in the USA who are interested, Sweetwater actually has the XR18 in stock at U$699.99. The product page is not completely updated (unless they've sold through their initial stock this morning), but I did get an e-mail blast from them this morning at 6:45 AM EST indicating it was in stock and ready to ship. Here's the link I received:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XR18/notify/930cfae146e058a0c02ff32a29cd441d91db3c90?utm_source=item-alert-instock-manual&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=117266&utm_content=XR18

And the regular product link:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XR18

Cheers!
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2015, 02:03:41 PM »
That link says they'll begin shipping in March.  Still VAPORWARE in my book.  I like the specs, but they're calling it as having 12 busses?  Not the way I count.  (Maybe they're using base 6)

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2015, 02:17:04 PM »
That link says they'll begin shipping in March.  Still VAPORWARE in my book.  I like the specs, but they're calling it as having 12 busses?  Not the way I count.  (Maybe they're using base 6)

As I said ... the web site has not been fully updated yet. The units are in stock and ready to ship.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2015, 02:44:52 PM »
Pretty hard to sell if the website says they aren't shipping yet.  Updating that is a 5 minute process.  If they can't be bothered, they must not want sales very badly.  (And if they are available, the competition will cream them.)

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2015, 03:01:39 PM »
Pretty hard to sell if the website says they aren't shipping yet.  Updating that is a 5 minute process.  If they can't be bothered, they must not want sales very badly.  (And if they are available, the competition will cream them.)

I'd expect that the web site will be updated once someone comes to work -- I received the e-mail a 6:45 AM EST, sent out by the marketing listserv.

12 buses is Behringer's marketing hype. Like many manufacturers, they tend to count internal busses as well as external (usable) busses. They also overstate their channel counts, IMO.

Attached is a screenshot of the e-mail I received from Sweetwater letting me know that the units are in stock. 
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2015, 05:17:22 PM »
If that's the case it now takes 9 weeks for the slow boat from China and Starin. Dec 17th to Feb 17th. They are however real  :).
When in doubt KISS