Author Topic: X18 X18R X16R X12R Details & Video  (Read 179753 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: X18 X18R X16R X12R Details & Video
« Reply #180 on: March 01, 2015, 07:06:56 PM »
So, they're shipping a device that can't be used as intended? Nice.

Both Mackie and QSC shipped with, at best, minimally functional iPad apps.
Yes and so did Behringer.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2015, 07:28:52 PM »
If your talking about the demo well that's what it is since you need a mixer for functionality.

The Mac editor does all the things the iPad doesn't, even in demo mode, without an X18 attached. I'm basing my claim on this quote:

The iPad app is not fully functional at this point, not only with the FX but the P16 end of things and the RTA end to name a few.

Perhaps my source is wrong. Can you indeed switch effects from your iPad? RTA all good? Uli's personal response to that post was that there's a new version coming.

The thing I actually am curious about, is do the Dynamics and EQ display in the channel strip when enabled? QSC's don't, and it drives me nuts. The Mac X-Air Edit does, so I'm hoping the iPad will as well.
Since the Mac app is the latest release and you can luckily download it from the Mfg. site then maybe it would be good to wait until the control freaks at Apple get around to letting you download the iPad version. I won't be spending any time on the initial release other than to check out the basics. FX is also low on my list since I rarely ever use them. There seems to be a new pandemic called Mackie Alzheimers going around, due to the fact that Mackie wiped your memory of it's start-up, recorded on the former Mackie Forum.
When in doubt KISS

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2015, 07:37:48 PM »
I won't be spending any time on the initial release other than to check out the basics.

:thu: :lol:

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #183 on: March 02, 2015, 03:16:22 PM »
maybe it would be good to wait until the control freaks at Apple get around to letting you download the iPad version.

Well, that happened. They added presets. Whooo! No FX access, no routing, and no indication of active DYN or EQ. Still claiming it's non-beta?

With the knobs only EQ display, tiny little position indicators, an ambiguous EQ ON switch, the high pass on a separate page, and no indication of any of this on the channel strip, it looks very difficult to tell if anything's engaged or zeroed or what. Is it any different when hooked up to an XR18? I actually quite like the look and functionality of the Mac editor, but this iPad version I wouldn't be comfortable mixing on.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2015, 03:34:17 PM »
I just tried the update. It still looks like a demo with all the animations running all over the place. I sure that this all goes away when you connect to the mixer? I guess you have to learn it to like it? But I don't think I would like to run it on the iPad as well. I guess I'm spoiled for Master Fader.  :laugh: And I seriously considered the X18R as a viable option too.  :(
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2015, 06:47:06 PM »
Quite frankly with the surface pro three at $699 why would you bother with a crippled tablet that makes you check with Apple every time you need to relieve yourself? Other brands are even more inexpensive. Android based devices are really inexpensive and would be a better choice anyways for the low end. You can actually increase the viewing and control surface using multiples, without breaking the bank. ;)
When in doubt KISS

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #186 on: March 02, 2015, 06:54:53 PM »
That's a reasonable suggestion. I'll just toss these 5 iDevices and these 2558 apps, shall I? I mean, it's not like anyone has made a claim that Behringer has a non-beta iPad app, or anything.

You know, I think I'll just wait for full functionality before Uli gets my money. Thanks for the help, though.

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2015, 07:16:37 PM »
Quite frankly with the surface pro three at $699 why would you bother with a crippled tablet that makes you check with Apple every time you need to relieve yourself? Other brands are even more inexpensive. Android based devices are really inexpensive and would be a better choice anyways for the low end. You can actually increase the viewing and control surface using multiples, without breaking the bank. ;)

Have you actually used a Surface Pro (or other Windows 8.x system)? Talk about checking in with the mother ship. No, thank you.

Cheers!
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2015, 07:38:53 PM »
No-one suggested you throwing your iDevices away, with 2558 (really) what's one app more or less? ;) In your case waiting is good. I come from the Software world the definition of Beta in the Software Industry and mine clearly differ from yours. Lack of functionality doesn't make it a Beta.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 07:56:19 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2015, 07:43:55 PM »

Have you actually used a Surface Pro (or other Windows 8.x system)? Talk about checking in with the mother ship. No, thank you

Cheers!
You'd rather have mommy Apple do it all for you? Wouldn't want you to get hurt moving all those heavy files. :) Yes to the rest but my main systems are Windows 7 soon to be W 10 (9). ;) W 8.x is a dog.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 07:46:06 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #190 on: March 02, 2015, 07:51:21 PM »

Have you actually used a Surface Pro (or other Windows 8.x system)? Talk about checking in with the mother ship. No, thank you

Cheers!
You'd rather have mommy Apple do it all for you? Wouldn't want you to get hurt moving all those heavy files. :) Yes to the rest but my main systems are Windows 7 soon to be W 10 (9). ;) W 8.x is a dog.

Well, my iDevices, my iMac, and my MacBooks all work flawlessly, so ... yes. My Android devices have all been absolute crap. And, well, as you said, Windows 8.x.... :) Maybe Windows 10 will be better (I have been playing with the pre-release version a little in a virtual machine on my Mac, and it seems to run fairly well), but frankly, I've given up on M$.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #191 on: March 02, 2015, 08:03:40 PM »

So you're saying you just "rent" apple and associated gear? Sorry, couldn't resist.   :angel:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

frankiebass1

• Padawan
« Reply #192 on: March 02, 2015, 09:35:58 PM »
Does anyone know what WiFi this supports?  Is the built-in WiFi hotspot all 2.4G or is it dual band?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #193 on: March 02, 2015, 10:45:08 PM »
Maybe Windows 10 will be better (I have been playing with the pre-release version a little in a virtual machine on my Mac, and it seems to run fairly well), but frankly, I've given up on M$.
Actually Windows 10 hardly sucks at all if you install "Classic Shell" over it's fugly brain-dead GUI  ;D .
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:51:34 PM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #194 on: March 05, 2015, 07:51:28 AM »
Back to OP topic. Behringer announced the publication of the control protocol for 3rd party apps. Let's see Mackie cough up Mandolin specs. :)
When in doubt KISS