Author Topic: X18 X18R X16R X12R Details & Video  (Read 179556 times)

Kev tyler

• Knight
Re: X18 X18R X16R X12R Details & Video
« Reply #195 on: March 05, 2015, 10:11:43 AM »
You guys can't have your cake and eat it too,

What do you want, shaky software where the provider listens to your feedback and changes it and ultimately gets it how you want it

Or

Long awaited Completely stable software with no revision and no impending changes because it is how it is and you better like it or lump it.

Kev

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #196 on: March 05, 2015, 12:46:08 PM »
You guys can't have your cake and eat it too,

Of course we can. Reaper is in constant development. Very responsive, very rapid revision turnaround, very stable.

There's no reason a hardware/firmware company can't be the same.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #197 on: March 05, 2015, 12:48:35 PM »
Back to OP topic. Behringer announced the publication of the control protocol for 3rd party apps. Let's see Mackie cough up Mandolin specs. :)

Absolutely excellent. They report that OSC is already working. If they did it right, and made all functions accessible, anybody can roll their own interface, including bridging to hardware controllers. The question of lag remains to be answered, of course.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #198 on: March 05, 2015, 03:25:11 PM »
Back to OP topic. Behringer announced the publication of the control protocol for 3rd party apps. Let's see Mackie cough up Mandolin specs. :)

Absolutely excellent. They report that OSC is already working. If they did it right, and made all functions accessible, anybody can roll their own interface, including bridging to hardware controllers. The question of lag remains to be answered, of course.
Nothing really new, it's been the norm for installed audio equipment co. such as Polycom, ClearOne, etc. for the past decade to publish their comm specs. You have third party developers even providing development tools. Behringers motivation probably stems from the fact that Linux is used as a basis for Midas and other gear. Too bad Mackie hasn't a clue.
For those interested in the announcement go here.  http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?6378-3rd-Party-Apps-for-X-AIR
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:30:09 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #199 on: March 05, 2015, 03:25:48 PM »
I had assumed that the protocol for the X-Air was the same as the one for the X32 series? That's was released long ago...

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #200 on: March 05, 2015, 03:32:47 PM »
Publishing specs and APIs is one thing. Making them compatible with, or at least easily converted to, a standard like OSC is quite another.

Might not be that hard to build a mixer in Reaper that controlled the XR18's functions instead of doing all of the heavy lifting on your laptop. Hooking it up to several Korg NanoKontrols or whatever should be damned near trivial. That's cool shit. I expect they got there by looking at the range of things that have been done with their own controllers.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #201 on: March 05, 2015, 03:42:01 PM »
Nothing really new, it's been the norm for installed audio equipment co. such as Polycom, ClearOne, etc. for the past decade to publish their comm specs. You have third party developers even providing development tools. Behringers motivation probably stems from the fact that Linux is used as a basis for Midas and other gear. Too bad Mackie hasn't a clue.
For those interested in the announcement go here.  http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?6378-3rd-Party-Apps-for-X-AIR
The problem with publishing your protocol is that it has to be robust. I suspect Mackie hasn't put in the effort yet to prevent theirs from going into recto-cranial inversion when fed bad parameters. It's quite a lot of work to program and test that 100% - I've a bit of experience doing that on flight controls where failure is most definitely not an option ;) .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #202 on: March 05, 2015, 04:03:30 PM »
I had assumed that the protocol for the X-Air was the same as the one for the X32 series? That's was released long ago...
Yes it's OSC with enhancements by Behringer.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #203 on: March 05, 2015, 04:16:44 PM »
The problem with publishing your protocol is that it has to be robust. I suspect Mackie hasn't put in the effort yet to prevent theirs from going into recto-cranial inversion when fed bad parameters. It's quite a lot of work to program and test that 100% - I've a bit of experience doing that on flight controls where failure is most definitely not an option ;) .
The protocol isn't the problem it's the receiver that has the job of determining the validity of the message. The comm part of course needs to be efficient and able to handle retries etc. It's software so 99.99% is what you get if your lucky :).
P.S. I think you got the wrong end of the problem, it's Mackies anal retentive believe that secret sauce is going to be the road to success. How wrong can you be Mackie.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:31:14 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #204 on: March 05, 2015, 04:32:11 PM »
The protocol isn't the problem it's the receiver that has the job of determining the validity of the message.
That's what I meant :) .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #205 on: March 05, 2015, 04:42:33 PM »
The protocol isn't the problem it's the receiver that has the job of determining the validity of the message.
That's what I meant :) .
Waiting to hear about that static IP results.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #206 on: March 05, 2015, 05:03:07 PM »
Waiting to hear about that static IP results.
I did set a static IP into the DL1608, now waiting on the Wireless AP to arrive so's I can properly test it all working without a DHCP server or router :) .

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #207 on: March 05, 2015, 05:13:21 PM »
I did set a static IP into the DL1608, now waiting on the Wireless AP to arrive so's I can properly test it all working without a DHCP server or router :) .

Be very surprised if it doesn't. Lotsa folks run the Ubiquiti Bullets on big shows with no DHCP server. If you set it all manually, the startup is instantaneous.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:52:43 PM by nottooloud »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #208 on: March 05, 2015, 05:24:48 PM »

Be every surprised if it doesn't. Lotsa folks run the Ubiquiti Bullets on big shows with no DHCP server. If you set it all manually, the startup is instantaneous.
I'm looking forward to not having to do the "will it or won't it get an IP" dance with the DL1608 :) .

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #209 on: March 05, 2015, 05:50:49 PM »
I set all of my mixers to 192.168.0.128, same as Yamaha's default. Plug in whatever, and go. I only have to do something about it if I'm running a submixer or multiple stages.