Author Topic: X18 X18R X16R X12R Details & Video  (Read 179752 times)

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
Re: X18 X18R X16R X12R Details & Video
« Reply #225 on: March 15, 2015, 08:45:45 AM »
The xr18 is something I'd be interested in but it needs to be cheaper in the UK and work as expected. Looks like a few have been sent back by owners due to problems software & hardware related, not encouraging for a potential buyer. Plus, iOS seems to be getting less priority than other versions of the control software which sucks for me.
All the flapping at the Behringer forum looks to have distracted a few of the regular posters here.
All quiet on the Mackie front, everything working as it should be! (For me anyway!) :)

I offer if nothing else other than opinion that a majority of issues with the XR18 is due to pilot error, based on my having monitored the new X-Air Forum category since its inception.
For the most part would it not be a fair statement to say that anything produced outside of the E.U. needs to be cheaper for you in the U.K. ?
The iOS app is apparently the weakest in the HW/SW link, resulting in the most to be desired for addressing.
Quiet here I would suggest due to a lot of thunder elsewhere in the industry and retail market, and in all fairness to Mackie, the relatively recent releases and response to issues from Woodinville.
I would be very interested in the numbers of units shipped, sold, and ultimately returned of all brands & models from the various manufacturers of this market segment, just to be real when discussing.
Regarding a lot of consumer goods, we generally pay £ to $ here in the UK. Not just from Behringer but from a range of manufacturers. I'm not sure of the exact proportions but it makes a "budget" brand rather expensive here.
If the XR was the equivalent of the U.S. price I would buy, warts and all, and take a chance. But it isn't, so I won't. Not yet anyway.
I'm not sure how much better Behringer service is here in the UK today, but previously in my experience, it sucked.
However it is over ten years at least since I had any dealings with them.

Pilot error will definitely be a factor but some of what I read seemed to be just hardware issues.
On this occasion I wasn't trying to be scientific, just making an observation that units had been returned.
As consumers, I doubt we'll ever get accurate figures regarding sales and returns.

Good luck to anyone who buys any new piece of equipment from any manufacturer.
I share a kinship with anyone who makes their living (or part of it) from the music business and depends on their equipment.
I wish success to everyone.  :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 11:53:27 AM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #226 on: March 15, 2015, 09:33:09 AM »
I find it incredible that a few blokes on the b forum advance ordered and then threatened to return their x air units, as they did not like the app, surely with a product like this, you jump in and get on with it, or hold on a few months and see how it goes, and then buy one.

I am gutted that they rolled out the 18 first, this sector is  generally well catered for, they should have gave us the the 12 first because the cheap  low ch count digital mixer is still a pretty neglected area imho.

Cheers

Kev

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #227 on: March 16, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
I find it incredible that a few blokes on the b forum advance ordered and then threatened to return their x air units, as they did not like the app, surely with a product like this, you jump in and get on with it, or hold on a few months and see how it goes, and then buy one.
I am gutted that they rolled out the 18 first, this sector is  generally well catered for, they should have gave us the the 12 first because the cheap  low ch count digital mixer is still a pretty neglected area imho. Cheers Kev

Kev, I do believe a possible solution to your wundabox FX stomp pedal feature has been referenced in the provided link.
http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?6590-SOLO-MUSICIANS-dedicated-mixer

Frankly, I would think after a year and a half of 500 plus posts over in BigB land, and with a solution at hand, one would jump in and get on with it full monty.
Still hoping for ya. ;)

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #228 on: March 17, 2015, 09:06:16 AM »
Hi  James.

I have not mentioned footswitches that's another groan for another post,

How do you expect me to jump in and purchase the x12 when it does not exist in big shop land yet?

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #229 on: March 17, 2015, 01:36:40 PM »
Hi  James.
I have not mentioned footswitches that's another groan for another post,
How do you expect me to jump in and purchase the x12 when it does not exist in big shop land yet?
Kev, surely you jest. A simple search of the word `footswitch'  in both this forum and BigB provides ample evidence of your sentiments about said topic.
Understand that upon release of the XR12, you then may choose to dance full monty. Though one could purchase an XR18 from Thoman and return within the allowed period if found not to satisfaction.
You are one hell of a tire kicker, but you know, I think I may speak for more than myself when I state that we are cheering for you and holding out hope for the answer to your dreams. ;)

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #230 on: March 20, 2015, 12:04:54 PM »
Hi James

I know I have been moderately vocal about footswitches, but with relation to this thread it was you who brought that up,  :)

To be honest mate I have been tyre kicking the Dl for some time now and I am still in the market for one but would like the x too, wife and baby are not convinced...

I did come close last month to purchasing  the 806 but analogue  Allen and heath won in the end, I am actually working with some acts who don't know what an fx mute is, don't know what a parametric is for, and this ultimately steered my purchase.

I did knock up a  fx switch last week with a relay and a battery and and a couple of xlrs and I am sad to say that the old footswitch gripe has been addressed,

But with relation to this moan, I still wish the 12 would have been the first baby x released, it's not like you guys don't have a choice of  affordable 16+ Channel digital mixers is it?

Cheers

Kev :)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #231 on: March 22, 2015, 06:13:37 AM »
Back to the OP subject matter. All you ever wanted to know about the XR18 hardware.
http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?6669-XR18-Spytopsy
When in doubt KISS

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #232 on: March 22, 2015, 10:29:15 AM »
Back to the OP subject matter. All you ever wanted to know about the XR18 hardware.
Speaking of which, curious what has become of the OP since that first AND only post on this forum.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #233 on: March 22, 2015, 11:34:46 AM »
Speaking of which, curious what has become of the OP since that first AND only post on this forum.
Maybe we should put his picture on the back of milk cartons?

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #234 on: March 22, 2015, 12:11:44 PM »
Sent you a pm james :)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #235 on: March 22, 2015, 02:13:28 PM »
Maybe he's hanging out at the official Behringer forums like we all used to hang out at the official Mackie forums ;) ? Makes sense...

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #236 on: March 22, 2015, 02:18:01 PM »
Maybe he's hanging out at the official Behringer forums like we all used to hang out at the official Mackie forums ;) ? Makes sense...
Maybe as a DL owner he decided he was better off with what he had, given that it works and is a known quantity?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #237 on: March 22, 2015, 02:27:03 PM »
Right now the X-Air is too wonky for any DL1608 owners to switch to IMO. But Mackie shouldn't be slacking off on getting their stuff up to snuff for sure...

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #238 on: March 22, 2015, 02:38:10 PM »
Right now the X-Air is too wonky for any DL1608 owners to switch to IMO. But Mackie shouldn't be slacking off on getting their stuff up to snuff for sure...
Agree totally RR!

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #239 on: March 29, 2015, 10:26:58 PM »
Here's why I wish Mackie and QSC would implement MIDI, or better yet, OSC.

Fully wireless mix position, with physical controls. The MIDI Fighter Twister controller is mapped as 16 faders. Each knob is also a mute switch, status indicated by red/green. It's plugged into the iPad Mini, which powers it. An iPad app called MIDI Bridge uses the iPad's wifi to pass the controller data to a Macbook. The Macbook runs Bome's MIDI Translator Pro, which passes the controller's data to the mixer hardware via a USB cable. The iPad also runs XR-Edit, which gives me meters, and access to all of the mixer's other controls as needed. All of this communication is bidirectional, so any adjustment anywhere is mirrored everywhere. Once Uli Behringer releases the underlying OSC protocol for the mixer, I'll be able to eliminate the Macbook from the chain. On the other hand, in a tough rf environment, I can plug it all into a laptop and have it hardwired.