Author Topic: X18 X18R X16R X12R Details & Video  (Read 181380 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: X18 X18R X16R X12R Details & Video
« Reply #285 on: April 18, 2015, 05:02:10 PM »
Yah, but Uli has like 400 top-notch guys working on the firmware/software so it's just not fair ;) .

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #286 on: April 18, 2015, 05:18:47 PM »
Yah, but Uli has like 400 top-notch guys working on the firmware/software so it's just not fair ;) .
Yeah, what took them so long? Disgraceful!  ;)
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #287 on: April 18, 2015, 09:53:47 PM »
Coming from a software guy (RR) you know 7 is a better # than 9, but 2 isn't gonna cut it.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #288 on: April 20, 2015, 12:20:16 PM »
Coming from a software guy (RR) you know 7 is a better # than 9, but 2 isn't gonna cut it.
Sho' 'nuff, normally  ;) . Kinda depends on how they have it split up. The FX are probably done as plug-ins so really separate programs. Then the firmware, iPad app, PC app, Mac app, and android apps are probably separate teams as evidenced by them not looking alike. Wouldn't surprise me if the Mackie team was two guys total, and no "real" software QC staff (code reviews, formal regression testing, etc).

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #289 on: April 20, 2015, 12:24:15 PM »
2 competent programmers beat 10 wannabes any day.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #290 on: April 21, 2015, 07:00:12 PM »

I have no way to know what each manufacturer has for a software team. I do know that out of the three iPad mixers I own, DL1608, TouchMix, and XR18, one of the manufacturers is kicking the others' ass softwarewise. Functionality, frequency of updates, and response to user feedback, Uli's team are doing good work.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #291 on: April 21, 2015, 10:14:07 PM »

I have no way to know what each manufacturer has for a software team. I do know that out of the three iPad mixers I own, DL1608, TouchMix, and XR18, one of the manufacturers is kicking the others' ass softwarewise. Functionality, frequency of updates, and response to user feedback, Uli's team are doing good work.

In fairness there has been quite a bit for Behr***er to fix recently, being that the XR is so new.
Same goes for QSC with the TM, it's had big improvements too, hasn't it?

MF3.0 is now a pretty slick interface, with lots of user requests utilised as far as I can recall.
When a product gains (relative) maturity there will be less to do and MF has had quite an overhaul from V1.x to V3.x.

Upcoming changes and flurries of activity regarding the DL will probably be few and far between.
Not exactly headline grabbing stuff but perhaps a reality.

edit: That said, DL32R updates and feature enhancements may filter down to the 1608 and 806. Maybe not so quiet a prospect after all?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:24:16 PM by robbocurry »

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #292 on: April 21, 2015, 11:30:47 PM »

In fairness there has been quite a bit for Behr***er to fix recently, being that the XR is so new.
edit: That said, DL32R updates and feature enhancements may filter down to the 1608 and 806. Maybe not so quiet a prospect after all?

Being real here, XR & TM effects set them apart from the DL/R. As more time passes, and other products debut, this deficiency gap becomes wider and certainly of no asset for Loud Tech.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #293 on: April 22, 2015, 02:29:15 AM »

Big improvements? No. They dug themselves a deep deep hole with their initial design. They've thrown some shovelfulls into it, but you can't even see their heads yet. As for user input, their default response is "No."

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #294 on: April 22, 2015, 06:33:44 AM »
Yup, the FX are something Mackie should look at, a lot of complaints there.
Not being a coder, I'll not guess how easy or difficult it would be to add new algorithms but it would certainly address a long standing complaint.
I found them useable but I didn't need a lot of reverb. The delay was ok too. Variety would be nice, ADT, Flanger, Chorus would be helpful. Can't understand why the 32r only got three fx when the competition has four or eight?
Maybe hardware really is a limitation although WK says there is mucho unused horsepower in the DL IIRC?

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #295 on: April 22, 2015, 07:09:16 PM »
I was wondering if the effects were actually on a chip.  If it's hardware and there isn't a socket, we are probably stuck with what we have.  If it's software?  That is always fixable. 

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #296 on: April 22, 2015, 08:51:44 PM »
As Robbocurry said, there was definitely the impression given that there was a lot of unused potential to be used under the hood and I would be surprised if the effects were hard coded onto a chip. Perhaps the issue is that previously they had bought in chips for the likes of the CFX with it programmed by a third party and haven't done it that way this time so are just botching their way through? I suspect it wouldn't be difficult to get someone like Yamaha or Lexicon to licence them some decent effects plug-ins.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #297 on: April 22, 2015, 09:43:45 PM »
I downloaded a couple of convolution reverb apps and ran them via the iPad channel and they were a major improvement.
RR gave me the heads up on how to do it, thanks again RR :thu: ;)
I could run it from a docked iPad or iPhone 4 upwards.
It wasn't until I compared them side by side that I realised the factory ones were not the best.
There were other FX types out there too IIRC.
Good workaround if nice reverb is crucial to your work.

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #298 on: April 23, 2015, 05:32:19 AM »
I need to give that a go now I have a second iPad I can leave docked.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #299 on: April 23, 2015, 02:29:39 PM »
Yah, only problem is I like to play my break music from the docked iPad and occasionally record - plus keep Master Fader there "just because". I haven't tried to run iPad FX live yet, I suppose I really should give it a go since it was my idea LOL. I do have three iPads so running Master Fader docked isn't really needed - plus it's damned annoying with the disconnects that don't happen wireless.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:31:43 PM by RoadRanger »