Author Topic: Master Fader V3.0 is Here !  (Read 50963 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Master Fader V3.0 is Here!
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2014, 02:57:02 AM »
Have you ever gotten a piece of Microsoft software that was perfect?  They generally are getting better, but I'm finding MF 3.0 better than most first attempts for MS.  (Having very few problems with Windows 7.  And I believe that Windows 8 is the right way to go.  Apple will have to go that way eventually.  Hopefully before I need a new laptop.) 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2014, 03:04:10 AM »
Referring to MF 3.0 as a BETA strikes me as a mistake.  It had been tested in house quite well before the public testing.  I don't believe in perfection.  So for those of you that are waiting for MF 3.1, that's OK.  On the other hand, don't expect it before the release of My Fader 3.0.  So if we're lucky it will be out in Feb or March.  Everyone with mission critical situations, you will always be right to hold off until you have enough of a gap to test first.  But it isn't looking like there are any serious problems with 3.0.  Just a steeper learning curve.  (And well worth the effort in my mind.)
I'm puzzled by your reluctance to acknowledge what BenO has stated for Mackie, it's a PUBLIC BETA unless you can't read. You also seem to have inside knowledge on their time table, testing etc. I certainly don't. Sorry to come down on you so hard. I do agree with you on holding off until a major release of any kind get's sorted out especially if it's your main mixer. I have totally different reasons for not upgrading which have nothing to do with a new version. Since I don't consider this as any mixer I would need I would certainly have upgraded now that apps I do use on the iPad  have been fixed for iOS V8.1. As to "serious problems" loosing sync via wireless has rarely been a problem in the past but it now seems to be an issue with MF3.0Beta and it's certainly not minor.
When in doubt KISS

TimmyP1955

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
No matter how great the control App, until the Mackie (and the Presonus) units have sidechain EQ on the gates and compressors, I'll continue to recommend the X32 series.

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2014, 09:28:24 AM »
Am I missing something? I have not seen a topic or a whole load of post of people frustrated by wireless sync issues on MF3 and it certainly doesn't reflect my experience from Friday night. The white noise issue sounded serious as it had the potential to damage equipment and reputations. A few seconds where MF re-syncs is frustrating and may lead to something worse, but again my experience was it was just about tolerable on MF2 (I had it happen maybe 6 or more times over the course of a gig). If you are keen to get an issue addressed by BenO and the team for 3.1, we'll need a bit more evidence as to the numbers of people it affects and probably a bit of a risk matrix to demonstrate what constitutes a "serious issue".

And don't get me wrong, I am not saying this isn't an issue, I just haven't seen enough that I would feel comfortable posting that it is a serious issue.

Alex H

• Padawan
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2014, 10:22:04 AM »
This is for everyone on this particular topic...

Please excuse my rant, it was just a rant and I have removed it.  :-[  I apologize. But I do stand by my feelings on MF3 right now. As everyone obviously (unfortunately) knows I was burned by an MF update last year on my own DL. So you can or hopefully understand my reluctance in updating to MF3 right now.

For the amount of time I use the school’s DL and the penny ante’ gigs I run for them, it’s also not a big necessity to update. I’m not quite in the same league as most of the pro’s here are. I am humbled and blown away by the vast knowledge and experience I’ve found here.

And I personally apologize to Alex H. You needed help with your issues and everyone was caught up in my silly issues with MF3. I hope someone can come up with a solution for you.

Thank you all for reading.  8)

Keyboard Magic, I didn't see your rant so I don't know what you are apologising for, but accepted anyway.    As ijpengelly says the problem did exist prior to MF3, but I updated in the hope that the problem may go away, and yes, now I have the syncing problem when the iPad is docked as well, but otherwise MF3 seems to be working OK.

I am convinced that the problem is related to IOS8.   Prior to IOS8 we had no problems with MF2.1.  The iPad1 running IOS5 was as solid as a rock - the problem was that this iPad has the old style connector and the 1608 has the new lightning connector, and I cannot dock, otherwise the problem would be solved.

One other issue I that under IOS7 when I undocked the iPad from the 1608, the wireless connection was made almost instantly and automatically.   Now, under IOS8, the wireless 1608 device simply remains greyed out 4 times out of 5 and indeed, its often quicker for me to switch off the 1608 and then switch it on again to get it to connect. 

Its not the iPad either, as we have been able to replicate the problem on multiple IOS devices all running variations of IOS8; including both on our 1608 and a brand new one out of the box.  To add to the confusion, our suppliers were able to replicate the problem at our location (with the brand new 1608 and iPad) but state that when they set the same up at their offices, they have no problems (although i have no way of verifying this). 

Although I have a copy of the IOS7.1.2 ipsw file, I am reluctant to try and revert the iPad3 back to IOS7 in case I brick it.  Its all very frustrating, and I am having to spend far too much time on this, and of course the Church Council wont release the funds for the rdest of our sound system upgrade until this problem is resolved.

Alex

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
Alex I would make certain that no other interference exists (Requires a signal analyzer) or take it away from the site and see if it stops (a lot cheaper). Your suppliers place would make sense. A UPS on the DL might be a good idea. I've witnessed Murphy Master of Coincidence perform miracles never thought possible. :)
One more thing Churches are notorious for having electrical systems as old as the Bible, I've dealt with several in that condition.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:10:53 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

TimmyP1955

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2014, 10:00:45 PM »
I've been hearing about similar connection problems ever since these mixers came out.  It's kept me from recommending what looks otherwise to be a nice mixer and a good value.

Alex H

• Padawan
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2014, 10:13:10 PM »
Alex I would make certain that no other interference exists (Requires a signal analyzer) or take it away from the site and see if it stops (a lot cheaper). Your suppliers place would make sense. A UPS on the DL might be a good idea. I've witnessed Murphy Master of Coincidence perform miracles never thought possible. :)
One more thing Churches are notorious for having electrical systems as old as the Bible, I've dealt with several in that condition.

Yes I will do that tomorrow, but I am pretty sure that there is no interference  - the church wiring is only about 10/12 years old.  Also, the fact that when I ran the iPad1 with IOS5 and before I inadvertently updated the iPad3 to IOS8 we have no problems at all, so I would wager a large sum of money that something has changed in IOS8

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2014, 10:34:02 PM »

Yes I will do that tomorrow, but I am pretty sure that there is no interference  - the church wiring is only about 10/12 years old.  Also, the fact that when I ran the iPad1 with IOS5 and before I inadvertently updated the iPad3 to IOS8 we have no problems at all, so I would wager a large sum of money that something has changed in IOS8

Really dumb question. Did you update iOS to the latest 8.1.1? There was supposed to be some bug fixes in the update. That may make the difference, hopefully.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2014, 10:42:01 PM »
I've been hearing about similar connection problems ever since these mixers came out.  It's kept me from recommending what looks otherwise to be a nice mixer and a good value.

Most people have had no connection problems that could be attributed to the DL, flakey WiFi and routers is another but not Mackie's fault (anything relying on WiFi has the potential to give trouble). Since I bought my DL (Oct 2012) I have mixed 50-60 or more gigs from acoustic open mic nights to corporates (including a recent Christmas lights switch on driving a 20k FOH rig) to pro rock and function bands and A list folk bands. During that time DL has performed faultlessly and I have never had a WiFi failure. Apart from a brief period when the dreaded white noise issue (accompanied by disconnects of wired iPads, both apparently solved with Master Fader V3) was extant, I've been happy to recommend the DL, even to technology shy musos. Nothing is perfect but as you say the DL1608 is a great little mixer.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:47:09 PM by sam.spoons »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2014, 02:26:40 AM »
consider a reinstall of ios 8.1.1.  Maybe yours installed poorly.  Most of us have no problems with ios 8.1.1  (ios 8 ran flawlessly for me.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2014, 01:11:33 AM »
Have you ever gotten a piece of Microsoft software that was perfect?  They generally are getting better, but I'm finding MF 3.0 better than most first attempts for MS.  (Having very few problems with Windows 7.  And I believe that Windows 8 is the right way to go.  Apple will have to go that way eventually.  Hopefully before I need a new laptop.)

I've always gotten perfect MS software. "cough, cough"  ;) Haven't road tested MF 3 yet, waiting until after the school xmas concert at least, maybe even an update patch first. MF 3 looks like it's got a lot of potential though.  :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2014, 04:41:29 PM »
Just updated to MF3 and am adjusting my school concert show snapshot -- first impressions ...

*  BenO, can you add Black to the color palette please?  I had created my own color pallette using images, was using Black for a couple of channels, and I think Black is a reasonable color option.  I don't like "no color" as it implies the channel isn't being used.  Since the default background is gray, a Black color will be visible on the fader view.   

* The widget menu at the top right of the screen seems a little unorganized.
    - anything that isn't accessed regularly during show operation should be under the gear:
        - patching
        - recording config options
        - The show icon
    - things that could stay visible
        - turn on/off recording (can't figure out where this is done)
        - mute/tap controls
        - view selection (can't figure out where this is done)
        - snapshot advance forward/backward controls

* Where do you start/stop recording?
* Where did View groups go?

Does there exist MF3 documentation for the DL1608?  Or do I just have to watch the videos?

Thanks.  John

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 06:01:29 PM by Jkowtko »

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2014, 05:47:24 PM »
Better would be the option to make custom colours if that's possible (WK?). Also I find the slightly milky washed out colours less distinct than bright primary/secondary shades, I guess they just look a bit more 'modern'.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2014, 05:51:55 PM »
The fancy-arse colors ain't doin' me no good if I can't see things on my iPad 2 :( .