Author Topic: Master Fader V3.0 is Here !  (Read 51065 times)

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
Re: Master Fader V3.0 is Here!
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2014, 11:07:51 PM »
Overall the manual is fairly humorous in places, so I'm not surprised by anything that might be in it.

Mackie's manuals have always had some pretty off-the-wall comments here and there...
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2014, 01:10:09 AM »
Typical EE proofreader (like I occasionally do) probably costs about $25/page (per read-thru) so I guess I can understand them not wanting to blow $600 times x on a manual that most will never read more that to look up something occasionally - plus they have the peanut gallery (AKA end users) to do it for free ;) .

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2014, 12:41:20 PM »
Made some time to work with the new version last night and while I'm still impressed with all the new features.  I (as others did) experienced a slower and somewhat "spastic" motion on faders and eq settings.   It also appears that the text on the screens jumps a bit and is constantly trying to reload.
I think it will take a bit more time before I am ready to hit the road with this version.
I did set up a few templete screens, some totally basic and some a little more complex so I can start a show with a preset based on the level I feel comfortable with.

Is it possible to assign AUX's to a VCA group and be able to increase/decease all my aux sends for monitors with one fader ?

UPDATE:   I guess that's a yes, since I just did it  !

Any tips on sending shows via e-mail or storing on I-tunes would be helpful.  I tried storing a show on I tunes but then couldn't find it in my i tunes library !

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 06:06:06 PM by Rdmitch »
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2014, 06:59:08 PM »
Just a note:  the obvious place for the app manual would have been a link on the help page like before.  That is where I've been looking for it to show up.

lightguy48

• Padawan
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2014, 01:24:31 AM »
Definitely need brighter indicators for the VCA/Sub/Mute group assignments. Also the fader dB 'ticks' markers need to be brighter. 

I used MF3.0 on Sunday outdoors and it was impossible to see them at all.  Even indoors I run my screen as low as possible to conserve my battery and it's impossible to see at low intensity.

I have also noticed when the iPad is docked about every 5 - 10 min the app will resync which never occurred on MF 2.x

Otherwise the operation has been very good.

I did have a couple of weird issues that cleared themselves on their own.  When I would go to the mute assign screen none of the auxes showed up as assignable to a mute group.  Eventually they showed up on their own.

Similar situation with the view assign screen, initially I could only see the channels and subgroups, the VCA's were hiding, then all of sudden the showed up on their own...

In both cases if you went to the Aux Master Fader properties or the VCA fader properties you could assign the fader to mute or view group from that screen.  In both cases the shows were old MF2.x shows so maybe some setting didn't import properly to MF3.0

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2014, 02:47:15 AM »
 :facepalm:

Growing pains? You forgot the golden rule before powering up the DL, you have to say your incantations first, while standing on one foot and never ever look at it directly. It can also hear your thoughts!  :eek: No sacrifices unless you're desperate.  >:D

Sorry, just kidding.  8) Let's hope there is an update patch pretty quick. I want to update to MF3 a.s.a.p. Not just yet.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:48:52 AM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2014, 10:18:32 AM »
Last night was my first gig since getting MF3, which is a bit poor since I got the advanced version...  ::)

Despite using the DL now for well over 2 years I was a bit nervous at this outing as accessing various bits of functionality are different to the ways I have been used to. Thankfully, I had spent time getting accustom to things in a static environment and it meant when show time hit, it wasn't as painful as it could have been. Thus I would recommend new users spend plenty of time pre-gig getting familiar. I also think it looks more impressive now than it did before, the previous incarnations did look a bit Fisher Price, but this one looks professional and a bit more technical. Good for impressing audience members :-) 

As other people have noted, there is a bit more lag in this version, especially on an iPad 2, I'm guessing due to the greater level of control and functionality to be loaded. However, this seemed to get better with a few minutes of use and working through all the menus, it was like it then buffered the features. Overall, it worked fine and the slight delays thankfully don't impact operational performance.

I can read the numbers on the scale, just, but to be honest I typically rely on the box at the top and their general position relative to other faders. So not sure if this is a problem or not, your mileage may vary.

I got to like the new mute and view assigns especially the multi select as this gives you a load more options, rather than having to repeat the settings in each view.

Having the access to a masters page was also really nice, a much quicker way to get things under control should you have feedback issues or someone complaining they can't hear their monitor when you are running 4 or 5.

On MF2 I used to get the resync on wifi a few times a gig and the occasional stutter. With MF3 it would appear to be a lot more stable in the connection and no re-syncs were experienced.

I haven't used some of the new features such as the VCAs (DCAs) or groups, maybe next time :-)

So, in summary: If you are waiting to upgrade, stop waiting and get it done, it is a gem of an upgrade and definitely keeps the DL fresh.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2014, 05:14:22 PM »
Last night was my first gig since getting MF3, which is a bit poor since I got the advanced version...  ::)

Despite using the DL now for well over 2 years I was a bit nervous at this outing as accessing various bits of functionality are different to the ways I have been used to. Thankfully, I had spent time getting accustom to things in a static environment and it meant when show time hit, it wasn't as painful as it could have been. Thus I would recommend new users spend plenty of time pre-gig getting familiar. I also think it looks more impressive now than it did before, the previous incarnations did look a bit Fisher Price, but this one looks professional and a bit more technical. Good for impressing audience members :-) 

As other people have noted, there is a bit more lag in this version, especially on an iPad 2, I'm guessing due to the greater level of control and functionality to be loaded. However, this seemed to get better with a few minutes of use and working through all the menus, it was like it then buffered the features. Overall, it worked fine and the slight delays thankfully don't impact operational performance.

I can read the numbers on the scale, just, but to be honest I typically rely on the box at the top and their general position relative to other faders. So not sure if this is a problem or not, your mileage may vary.

I got to like the new mute and view assigns especially the multi select as this gives you a load more options, rather than having to repeat the settings in each view.

Having the access to a masters page was also really nice, a much quicker way to get things under control should you have feedback issues or someone complaining they can't hear their monitor when you are running 4 or 5.

On MF2 I used to get the resync on wifi a few times a gig and the occasional stutter. With MF3 it would appear to be a lot more stable in the connection and no re-syncs were experienced.

I haven't used some of the new features such as the VCAs (DCAs) or groups, maybe next time :-)

So, in summary: If you are waiting to upgrade, stop waiting and get it done, it is a gem of an upgrade and definitely keeps the DL fresh.

That's good to hear and that it is working well for you. I do have MF3 on one iPad 2 for practice and am getting quickly familiarized with it. It's almost as easy as MF 2.1.1. My concern is that the DL is someone else's property, even if they don't know really how to run it. I run it exclusively for them and get to borrow it for gigs. That's really my only qualm.

I may just update it after the upcoming Christmas Concert for safety sake. But you have alleviated some of my concerns. Thanks  :thu:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Alex H

• Padawan
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2014, 07:05:30 PM »
Hi

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

July 2014 – new 1608 installed in ourusing an iPad3 16GB WiFi only, running IOS7, coupled to Airport Express (new version).  iPad is dedicated to this 1608 and other than standard apps, only extra apps installed was MasterFader 2.1 and Airport Express Utility.

No other WiFi networks in the vicinity.

1608 operated perfectly, docked and undocked.

October 2014 – iPad3 got upgraded to IOS8 and no problems suffered when iPad docked with 1608.  However when undocked, we were getting a resync issue every couple of minutes when undocked

Steps taken to identify and resolve issue:

1.     Alternative iPad running IOS8 tried and problems could be replicated

2.     iPhones 4 and 5 both running IOS8 tried and could replicate problems.

3.    iPad 1 running IOS5 tried and problem COULD NOT be replicated

4.     Airport Express running on both 2.4 and 5 GHz – problem remained

5.     Alternative router (ediMax) tried – problem remained

6.     Alternative network cable tried – problem remained

7.     1608 was re-flashed – problem remained

8.     Alternative iPad4 with alternative 1608 tried with Airport Express router – no inputs connected – problem remained

9.     iPad3 upgraded to IOS8.1 – problem remained

10. iPad3 upgraded to Master Fader 3 , 1608 firmware upgraded – problem not only remained, but in a 55 minute service on 28/11/14  iPad resynced 9 times when docked

11. Alternative Power supply unit tried – problem remained.

I really dont understand what could be causing the issue

Thanks

A

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2014, 12:00:43 AM »
It's not unusual for a company like M$ or others to post Beta's since it is nearly impossible to test all permutations and combinations of setups and equipment. It requires time and manpower to sift thru the results and try to fix the real problems. That's not done in a couple of days. I expect Mackie to actually have a solid release about NAMM 2015 days. I expect BenO and Co. to release it a day or two prior so that he can tell you all and media at the show that the problems have been resolved with the new release giving you no time to verify that claim. :) He's doing his job probably better than you.
When in doubt KISS

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2014, 12:10:50 AM »
To be fair Keyboard Magic, Alex's post suggest that issue existed prior to MF3, so there is a question as to whether there is an underlying issue or not. I have tried to keep an eye on things like Wi-Fi signal strength when I used to get my drop outs and it didn't seem to be an issue most of the time. However, I do have my mixer sat on a sub, so wonder if my issue was down to loose leads or unreliable routers or the operating system itself.

Based on Alex's info, one could conclude that iOS 8 caused the issue rather than it being an MF issue. Perhaps there is an issue with the wireless service. I know I have experienced more issues with streaming videos recently on the iPad, with them locking or only partially buffering.

So, we can point the finger at Mackie, but there are a few other providers in the chain that could also be culpable for the experienced issues.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2014, 12:17:27 AM »
It's not unusual for a company like M$ or others to post Beta's since it is nearly impossible to test all permutations and combinations of setups and equipment. It requires time and manpower to sift thru the results and try to fix the real problems. That's not done in a couple of days. I expect Mackie to actually have a solid release about NAMM 2015 days. I expect BenO and Co. to release it a day or two prior so that he can tell you all and media at the show that the problems have been resolved with the new release giving you no time to verify that claim. :) He's doing his job probably better than you.

So if you wouldn't mind me asking with your professional experience.. Would you update right now, with what you know about the small issues with this version of MF3 and trust a major show with it? I trust your knowledge and experience from what I've read from your different posts.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2014, 01:03:02 AM »
This is for everyone on this particular topic...

Please excuse my rant, it was just a rant and I have removed it.  :-[  I apologize. But I do stand by my feelings on MF3 right now. As everyone obviously (unfortunately) knows I was burned by an MF update last year on my own DL. So you can or hopefully understand my reluctance in updating to MF3 right now.

For the amount of time I use the school’s DL and the penny ante’ gigs I run for them, it’s also not a big necessity to update. I’m not quite in the same league as most of the pro’s here are. I am humbled and blown away by the vast knowledge and experience I’ve found here.

And I personally apologize to Alex H. You needed help with your issues and everyone was caught up in my silly issues with MF3. I hope someone can come up with a solution for you.

Thank you all for reading.  8)

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:24:59 AM by Keyboard Magic »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2014, 02:08:14 AM »
Referring to MF 3.0 as a BETA strikes me as a mistake.  It had been tested in house quite well before the public testing.  I don't believe in perfection.  So for those of you that are waiting for MF 3.1, that's OK.  On the other hand, don't expect it before the release of My Fader 3.0.  So if we're lucky it will be out in Feb or March.  Everyone with mission critical situations, you will always be right to hold off until you have enough of a gap to test first.  But it isn't looking like there are any serious problems with 3.0.  Just a steeper learning curve.  (And well worth the effort in my mind.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2014, 02:48:20 AM »
I am very confused. (That's nothing new) as per WK's post on page 6:

It's pretty clear and by BenO's own admission that this is PUBLIC BETA why would anyone load it unless they don't need the equipment functioning? Crashes and lockups, sync problems etc. should be enough of a clue.

Why would Mackie aka: BenO state that? That's not very confidence inspiring. I did read your post Wynd and do agree about "mission critical situations. Weird.

I am learning it on one iPad and it is fairly easy to get around. Most of it was familiar sort of. Oh well, the debate goes on I guess.  :)