Author Topic: Master Fader V3.0 is Here !  (Read 50713 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 08:38:59 PM by RoadRanger »

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: Master Fader V3.0 is Here!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 05:44:07 AM »
playing with it right now!

NICE!  so far

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 05:55:18 AM »
Sleep? Who needs sleep? ;)

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 06:10:50 AM »
It's not even dark down under! Plenty of time to download the V 3.0

BTW didn't Beno just say it wouldn't be available in November?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 06:12:19 AM »
That was for "My Fader V3.0".

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 06:18:29 AM »
That was for "My Fader V3.0".

Fair enough. Maybe I need sleep  :lol:

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 06:21:37 AM »
I am eagerly waiting for the DL32R to ship when it comes in, and in my opinion,
the first (boat from China) has already delivered DL32R units to Mackie's headquarters at LOUD Technologies.

I think Mackie did not want to ship any DL32R units to any distributors or dealers until they see DL1608 users using V. 3.0.

They too (Mackie) are anxious to get the DL32R into a bunch of users hands.. LIKE MINE  :)

My first love will still be Qu24 though with the "purple stage box"  Well, love for a sound board
Dan

Keggles

• Youngling
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 09:10:05 AM »
First impression of MF 3
The interface reaction time to my finger movements is very jerky...
Moving EQ frequency and gain buttons around they jerk all over the screen
It looks like the routing configuration screen only allows to change where the iPad recording signal comes from
You can't rout a subgroup to an aux out....which kind of makes them redundant
The help documents are still v 2.1 not v3
My ipad is an iPad 3

I haven't plugged it into the the dl1608 yet
I will come back with some more info later
Keggles

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 09:17:47 AM »
I sold my DL1608 last week and am waiting for the DL32R
I can't use Master Fader 3.0 with a real mixer BUT.. there is no jerky movement on my iPad 3

Strange,
Dan

Keggles

• Youngling
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 10:00:36 AM »
Just spent a little while with MF3 plugged into the DL1608
There is quite a noticble delay in the eq section moving any parameters around wether it be via the graphic interface or the sliders at the bottom of the screen
Other than that and what I have written about above all is good
Hopefully the will do a quick update with a version 3 manual
And I guess the routing thing is a dl1608 limitation, but it would have been nice to have made both the aux and sub groups rout able
Keggles

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 11:47:48 AM »
First, I want to start with praise to the development of 3.0. Very very nice! The response of the faders is so improved.
While 3.0 has a ton more features and is far more flexible than the previous version, there is one thing I just can not believe got left out.

I don't mean to sound negative but this blew my mind....
please hear me out,

The Aux masters ARE NOT CURRENTLY assignable to a VCA. (Probably should have been named DCA not VCA)  8)

In the event that something terrible happens like really loud feedback in a few monitor mixes or even just one, the engineer almost never knows exactly which mix is causing the feedback.
Once microphone channel 14 starts feeding back into mix 2, any other aux mixes that have channel 14 in it, are also going to now produce the same feedback sounding pitch and cause uncontrollable feedback to rear it's ugly head. Before you know it, people are screaming and holding their ears, but the engineer just wants to go hide somewhere because everyone in the place knows it's his fault, correct? Not so fast....

Couldn't the engineer assign all the aux mix masters to a single mute??? sure.... but assigning all the monitor "speaker" aux mixes to fader (VCA 1 perhaps) and use that as a panic fader to lower all the aux masters at once in case this happens is much better, No, we don't want to suddenly mute all the monitors, then what, what happens when we "UN-mute them? you guessed it, so when do we turn them back on? This is why we need to be able to lower all the aux masters for speaker monitor mixes without having to change the level of each and every mix, and then not having a clue as to where they should be put back to. Yes, that would be a very sensible thing to set up, especially with a mixer having 32 channels and 12 monitor mix capability. BUT........ this can not be done because the design folks who made and tested this new stuff did not think or consider this... but  let's cut  them some slack....maybe they did and just forgot to incorporate it.

I think anything else could have been designed differently, right or wrong, but this is a must have feature for the VCAs.

Agree?
Anyone?,
Anyone? Bueller?

Beno?  :)

Let's say we have 8 drum mics and they are all assigned to VCA 2.
I think,.... when we move the VCA 2 master, all of the drum mic channel faders should visibly move with the movement of the VCA master that they are assigned to.
Maybe it's just me. I think it is ridiculous these days that digital consoles with moving faders and DCAs also do not move like this. In the old days of analog VCAs, the faders did not physically move because they were not motorized and couldn't, so the VCA "electrically" altered the audio in the channel as opposed to actually moving the fader. It sure would have been nice  back then to look at the drum mic channels and say "gee, i guess the VCA needs to be turned back up.

And another very very simple silly thing would have been to include a brown and grey color choice since many of us use the standard color code, for fast addressing of things. 
1= brown, 2= red, 3= orange, 4= yellow, 5= green, 6= blue, 7= violet, 8= grey, 9= white.

Just by habit all these years for me at least, if I want to lower mix 1 all I have to do is look for the brown Aux master fader for mix 1.... just a silly request. 

OK, nice job though

NOW WHERE'S MY DL32R?

:)
thanks for reading and Beno, please take this info to your guys!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:23:37 AM by dpdan »

gtrdudes

• Padawan
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 01:34:49 PM »
I just updated the app.  I have other guys using the now useless my fader app.  But I couldn't  help it. Nothing crazy like 16 track recording.  The digital trim will help a lot. I like the new features.  The layout makes it a little like getting a new board.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 02:03:09 PM by gtrdudes »

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 02:00:34 PM »
Yup, sure does!
All for free too.
Isn't that lovely and Christmassy!?
The older I get, the better I was!

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 02:17:53 PM »
Darn, can't find that Xmas Tree and Santa gif file. Just picture it in your minds.... :lol:

New mixer again! Well sort of. Any improvements are always welcome in my books. ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 02:23:56 PM »
 ;)
The older I get, the better I was!