Author Topic: Master/My Fader V4 Wants and Speculation  (Read 101618 times)

JMc

• Padawan
Re: Master/My Fader V4 Wants and Speculation
« Reply #165 on: June 05, 2015, 04:45:32 AM »
Here's another "want" for the next MasterFader upgrade.

The ability to hide unnecessary channels in the AUX screens.  For instance, my band has occasional members that sub for us.  When they are monitoring their assigned AUX send for their monitor mix, it would be helpful for them to be able to hide all the channels that they won't have any need to see, like the channels that are assigned to the person they are subbing for, unused channels, etc.  It would prevent a lot of swiping back and forth to be able to see only the channels they are wanting to adjust.

robmcl

• Padawan
« Reply #166 on: June 05, 2015, 08:26:41 PM »
We do that now using  existing view groups (1608).   Problem of course is that there are 6 aux but only 4 groups.  We just name the groups aux1 etc.   technically there are 5 groups I guess since none is really a view with all channels.
I'd like to add to your request by suggesting that they add more view groups for the 1608.   The dl32 ver already has more and it's all the same software...the options only change based on the hardware choice.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #167 on: June 05, 2015, 08:34:16 PM »
I just build a view group (usually group d) and only assign the channels being used. Then that's all I need to look at and don't see any unused channels

I also like to set up a view for vocals so I can see only the vocal channels and in that assign group
I also put the VCA group for drums ,effects and instruments. That way I can see all the VOX for routine adjustments but can also have a overall volume know for the others in case a blanket adjustment is needed. Doing this I only need to have about 6-7 channels on the screen.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

robmcl

• Padawan
« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2015, 08:52:06 PM »
Here's one I haven't read yet.   I agree that the scale on channel sliders is far too small.  Also agree with the comments that it gets hidden by the grow and glow of the fader slider as soon as you touch it.  But for those of us who are right handed, as soon as you touch the fader with your right index finger the scale is hidden anyway!  Forget grow and glow or even larger numbers... My hand is in the way LOL.  My request is that they move the scale to the left side of the fader and the group/view numbers to the right.  While I'm at it, the dark on dark numbers for groups/views is not much help either.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:54:54 PM by robmcl »

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2015, 10:17:08 PM »
While sliding the fader just look at the values in the box and the top of the screen, it will tell you exactly,where you are on the slider.
Totally agree on the subgroup/VCA/mute indicator lights. You really can't see these at all if you use a darker color in your colors selection.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2015, 10:49:29 PM »
Here's one I haven't read yet.   I agree that the scale on channel sliders is far too small.  Also agree with the comments that it gets hidden by the grow and glow of the fader slider as soon as you touch it.  But for those of us who are right handed, as soon as you touch the fader with your right index finger the scale is hidden anyway!  Forget grow and glow or even larger numbers... My hand is in the way LOL.  My request is that they move the scale to the left side of the fader and the group/view numbers to the right.  While I'm at it, the dark on dark numbers for groups/views is not much help either.

I'm sure you've probably compared MF 2.X to 3.X, but here's my 2 cents worth on this request:

If you have a copy of MF 2.X load it up and look at the faders, now compare it to 3.X. big difference. The scale was on the left side and the fader knob, was pointed towards the scale. You could read the scale and the “grow and glow” didn’t obliterate the scale like it does in 3.X. Even using a stylus with 3.X doesn’t help the visuals. And you know we all like visuals better! ;)

I don’t rely on the scales as much as I do on the physical position of the fader, the info window at the top and my ears. But it was easier to see and use in 2.X.  Why they had to redesign this feature to make it “better” in 3.X is beyond me. Obviously they were redesigned by programmers who never used faders in the real world on a tiny iPad screen in a dark cave of a venue. Come on Mackie, bring back that 2.X retro fader look and even though the scales are better in 3.X, you still have to squint at them, especially with older eyes .  :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2015, 11:26:47 PM »
......some of us are lefties, and prefer it on the right.  Don't know if it is an changeable option that can be toggled
to either  left or righ display

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #172 on: June 06, 2015, 12:28:45 AM »
......some of us are lefties, and prefer it on the right.  Don't know if it is an changeable option that can be toggled
to either  left or righ display

I don't see why they couldn't accommodate both, by putting in that option in to change the display for left or right side. But will they?
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #173 on: June 06, 2015, 04:58:41 AM »
I kind of like the growing fader control, but Mackie could choose to just shift the color instead.  Probably less software overhead that way too. 

robmcl

• Padawan
« Reply #174 on: June 07, 2015, 04:00:04 PM »
There are lots of comments on getting better reverb ( with which I agree) and poss a second reverb (for 1608 like the 32r).   I'd like to suggest/request that the software be changed to FX1 and FX2 rather than dedicated Reverb and Delay.   Then allow each each FX to select the choice of reverb, delay, or even chorus.  Chorus is actually the fx id like to see added.  This would allow much more flex including the request for 2 reverbs.  Most other boards use the format of an FX routing with choice of FX.

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #175 on: June 07, 2015, 08:52:35 PM »
We do that now using  existing view groups (1608).   Problem of course is that there are 6 aux but only 4 groups.  We just name the groups aux1 etc.   technically there are 5 groups I guess since none is really a view with all channels.
I'd like to add to your request by suggesting that they add more view groups for the 1608.   The dl32 ver already has more and it's all the same software...the options only change based on the hardware choice.

Maybe I wasn't being clear...  I understand what view groups are and what they do and that's fine for anyone controlling FOH... 

I am specifically talking about the personal monitor mixes for each of the musicians, i.e. their individual AUX channel screens, so when adjusting their individual mixes, they can hide the unused channels they don't need to see or any that are otherwise irrelevant to their personal monitor mix.  Right now, the AUX screens for any given channel show ALL the inputs on the mixer at once.    Which forces the user to swipe through the screen to find the individual inputs they want to adjust.  I'd like to eliminate that additional swiping step for them to quickly get to the channel they need to adjust on the fly. 

OR, perhaps I misunderstood and didn't realize that view groups are available under the AUX sends, too...  In that case, the entire DL series, including the DL32R still need more view groups.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 09:08:56 PM by JMc »

robmcl

• Padawan
« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2015, 12:03:50 AM »
Yep, option 2.  View groups are global so once you setup and choose a view, that's what you see no matter what output you select.   And as you say, the 1608 ver needs more groups. :)

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #177 on: June 08, 2015, 06:54:45 PM »
Hi Mackie Folks,

The Yamaha 01V96 from 2003 has a very useful feature called fader linking.
I can link the Master fader, the Group fader for Center-fills and the Group fader for Delay-fills.  When I raise or lower the Master fader, the other faders move as well.
Very simple, works great.

With the Mackie app I can get  a similar effect by assigning these three faders to a DCA group, but then I have to have the DCA fader viewable on the screen for overall level changes, which means one less input channel can be seen at a time.

Does anybody have a master list of all these suggestions in an easy to view format?
Might make sense to group like ideas together.
Trying to remember what I read on this long forum post is a challenge.
I do know about Mackie's suggestion list.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:02:49 PM by Weogo »

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2015, 07:44:05 PM »
Use the matrix out for delay and fills , just route the l/r to matrix set delay and or eq , and it will follow your master fader  :)
If in doubt ask

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #179 on: June 08, 2015, 07:53:24 PM »
It all sounds way to complex for me....setting up matrix's and delay mixes. The idea of the 1608 was to have great functional Features while keeping the operation as simple as possible. I like the new improvements and groupings which work great for me. If I wanted a million options and screens I would buy a full blown desk.
Granted, a few more view screens on the 1608 would be wonderful but I can deal with a little scrolling.

Just my opinion, since I only do this 3-5 times a month.