Author Topic: Master/My Fader V4 Wants and Speculation  (Read 101707 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Master/My Fader V4 Wants and Speculation
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2015, 06:22:51 AM »
Great idea.  And why not take a design hint from our smart phones ... WYSIWYG view editing mode where you can drag your channels around, or 'flick' them off the screen if you don't want them in that view.  Maybe even drop them on top of each other to create DCA channel groups on the fly.

Which vendor do you think will provide this first?
The X-Air app does both of those kinda like you suggest.

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2015, 12:46:49 AM »
Another feature I would like would be a sidechain insert, the ability to have the gate on one channel triggered by the signal on another channel.
Mackie Junkie

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2015, 04:30:12 PM »
Another feature I would like would be a sidechain insert, the ability to have the gate on one channel triggered by the signal on another channel.
I probably already said this - but I'd really like the gates to have a frequency control so you could "tune" them to the particular tom they are gating :) .

robmcl

• Padawan
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2015, 06:48:57 AM »
Here's my idea. I would like the ability to move channels. Here's my scenario:

Let's say I have a group with 6 singers (Channels 1 - 6), 5 instruments (channels 7 - 11), and drums (channels 12 - 18). Then, a new singer joins the group. So I want to move the instruments and drums one channel to the right, so I can put the new singer on channel 7.
I'm trying to imagine how you'd deal with the actual XLR connections in this scenario.  Would you physically pull every XLR from 18 thru 7 and move them one jack to the right?  Or would expect to connect the new singer to input jack #19 and simply map that to channel 7 on the display?  Do this a couple of times and any type of troubleshooting would become a nightmare.   If you just want 1-6 and 19 to appear together in sequence, can't that be done with view groups?  Not criticizing just asking

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »
In my scenario, I would shift all the XLRs, starting with #7, one connector to the right. The new singer wouldn't join the group min the middle of a show, so the next time I set up, I would plug the mics into the needed jacks.
Mackie Junkie

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2015, 02:48:53 PM »
I would suggest that when setting channels up, you leave extra channels for singers and drums.  You can always remove unused channels from views and will have an easier time adding musicians in the meantime.

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2015, 03:20:28 PM »
I don't think its all that important that the I out channels are displayed in order on the display. If you have to access an XLR jack you're going to go straight to that jack based in its number, not by counting faders on your display. Groups and DCAs are out of sequence anyway.

pti

• Youngling
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2015, 06:27:25 PM »
Multichannel .WAV file size limit configurability

Having recording switch to a new .WAV after every 2GB leads to a lot of required effort in stitching long recordings back together in the DAW (for me, Logic Pro X).

The manual states:

In order to achieve maximum compatibility with DAWs and other pieces of hardware, we must ensure that the .wav files we produce are less than 2 GB. It takes a very long time to get to 2 GB when you are recording a stereo .wav file but what about for a 24 chan- nel wav file? With that many channels all in one file, 2 GB comes after just around 10 minutes of recording.

Fine, but if some DAWs can handle larger files, let the file size limit be configurable to a larger size to reduce the work required for reassembly.

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2015, 06:33:22 PM »
While we're on the topic of recording, how about the ability to select which channels to record, without having to patch the channels. For example, if I want to record 10 channels, I could open up a popover, allowing me to select which 10 channels to record.
Mackie Junkie

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
Here's my idea. I would like the ability to move channels. Here's my scenario:

Let's say I have a group with 6 singers (Channels 1 - 6), 5 instruments (channels 7 - 11), and drums (channels 12 - 18). Then, a new singer joins the group. So I want to move the instruments and drums one channel to the right, so I can put the new singer on channel 7.
I'm trying to imagine how you'd deal with the actual XLR connections in this scenario.  Would you physically pull every XLR from 18 thru 7 and move them one jack to the right?  Or would expect to connect the new singer to input jack #19 and simply map that to channel 7 on the display?  Do this a couple of times and any type of troubleshooting would become a nightmare.   If you just want 1-6 and 19 to appear together in sequence, can't that be done with view groups?  Not criticizing just asking

On the X-Air, you can plug into any spare channel and go to the setup screen and "drag" that fader between 6 and 7 - way cool! :)

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2015, 08:02:28 PM »
That's what I want! What's an X-Air?
Mackie Junkie

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2015, 08:18:12 PM »
That's what I want! What's an X-Air?
We don't give that information out to Mackie Junkies, they usually get all hot and bothered under the collar when mentioning the word Behringer  ;).
Would be nice if you updated your profile so we know were you are. Makes it easier for our contract killers to find you. ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:21:06 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2015, 08:30:38 PM »
I do have some Behringer gear. In fact, I'm the only person I know that pronounces it correctly (The g is a hard g). But I'll take a look at my profile, and see if I can add enough information to throw off the contract killers.  >:D
Mackie Junkie

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2015, 08:43:07 PM »
I do have some Behringer gear. In fact, I'm the only person I know that pronounces it correctly (The g is a hard g). But I'll take a look at my profile, and see if I can add enough information to throw off the contract killers.  >:D
Uli will be happy to know that. ;) Beautiful Southern CA is my backyard, so where?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:45:38 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2015, 05:48:49 PM »

I'm sure you've seen it by now, but here's a link. I'm seriously looking at this box as a replacement for the DL.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1095112-REG/behringer_x_air_xr18_18_channel.html?gclid=CMjY7vK838MCFQdffgod_g4AAQ