Author Topic: Master/My Fader V4 Wants and Speculation  (Read 101639 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Master/My Fader V4 Wants and Speculation
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2015, 06:27:24 PM »
I'm sure you've seen it by now, but here's a link. I'm seriously looking at this box as a replacement for the DL.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1095112-REG/behringer_x_air_xr18_18_channel.html?gclid=CMjY7vK838MCFQdffgod_g4AAQ
So far it's vaporware - plus I'd wait a bit after they start shipping before jumping ship, I'm sure they will have their teething problems too ;) .

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2015, 06:43:03 PM »
The specs look nice and nice overall features, but like the wise RR mentioned it's a non-existent product.  Available maybe in May.
I would wait until after the first 20 owner reviews come in.  At least the DL has been around a bit and you know what you are getting into buying one.
A person surfing the web looking for info on a Mackie DL will easily find this site and gain a wealth of "inside" info that would help them to make a informed decision.  Right now the B X18 is a "pig in a polk"  could be a huge waste of $ 700.00
Your never to old to learn something stupid

robmcl

• Padawan
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2015, 07:01:39 PM »
Request for v4... could the digital Trim function be reflected in the channel input meters.

The new trim function is great.  It actually makes the internal iPad channel usable now that the signal level can be cut back.  Unfortunately the meters don't reflect this gain reduction.  Although the signal is reduced, the meters continue to show a peaked input signal.  It's minor I know. but it would be nice to have.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2015, 07:40:26 PM »
Request for v4... could the digital Trim function be reflected in the channel input meters.

The new trim function is great.  It actually makes the internal iPad channel usable now that the signal level can be cut back.  Unfortunately the meters don't reflect this gain reduction.  Although the signal is reduced, the meters continue to show a peaked input signal.  It's minor I know. but it would be nice to have.
The reason it's that way is that you do want to know the real input levels since clipping levels in the analog section is needed the rest is just math. A software switch would satisfy both in setup or somewhere to switch the meters.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:42:26 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2015, 08:22:05 PM »
The reason it's that way is that you do want to know the real input levels since clipping levels in the analog section is needed the rest is just math. A software switch would satisfy both in setup or somewhere to switch the meters.
But the iPad channel isn't analog so no prob having the meter "post trim" on that one channel :) . It's "just software" ;) - I'm sure that Mackie just didn't have the time to do it right yet :) .

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2015, 11:16:52 PM »
I do have some Behringer gear. In fact, I'm the only person I know that pronounces it correctly (The g is a hard g). But I'll take a look at my profile, and see if I can add enough information to throw off the contract killers.  >:D

I'm sure you've seen it by now, but here's a link. I'm seriously looking at this box as a replacement for the DL.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1095112-REG/behringer_x_air_xr18_18_channel.html?gclid=CMjY7vK838MCFQdffgod_g4AAQ

Michael, Uli Behringer pronounces his name "Beh-rin-jer" (soft "G"?).....

The X-Air is indeed vapourware while the DL1608 is a good sounding mixer with nice software and a reasonably good rep. Nothing is perfect and we can all find things we would like changed/improved but the DL, by any standards, is a good mixer and I love mine.

But.... Mackie don't do a DL2412 with faders...... That would have been a no-brainer for me but, when gigs needing more I/O and real faders started to come in I had to buy something that could cope, in my case that was a Behringer X32 Compact and it is a very nice desk. The app is less friendly than Master Fader but apart from that it does the job just fine. The mic preamps are at least as good as the DL and reverbs are nicer (the DL reverbs are fine on many live gigs but a little lacking for some applications) and obviously it has more I/O (22/14 including aux's). The DL3216 has more but no faders and still the mediocre reverbs, and it's more expensive than the Compact.

I do still love my DL1608 but it is up for sale as my next purchase will be an X32 Rack which will do everything the DL does and more and, more importantly, act as both stagebox and backup mixer for the Compact on my bigger gigs. OK the Rack is in a bigger box (probably twice the size of the DL) but I guess I'll have to put up with that as I can't justify keeping the DL as well as the Rack.

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2015, 11:43:20 PM »
Michael, Uli Behringer pronounces his name "Beh-rin-jer" (soft "G"?).....
I've only heard him once, and that was on a CD that came with a piece of Behringer gear, years ago, and he said his name with a hard G. But I have heard people use a soft G, even in his presence without being corrected. So, perhaps both are acceptable.
Mackie Junkie

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2015, 12:01:41 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awS0NQbPxOI Uli makes no correction to the presenter's pronunciation at the beginning of the clip, however, at 2:25 he pronounces his first name "Ooh-lee" (not you-lee) and at 3:21 he refers to his company as "Beh-rin-jer".....

It is quite possible he Anglicised the pronunciation of his name for the benefit of the English speakers in his customer base though (the interview was in 2008).... Who knows  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 12:04:05 AM by sam.spoons »

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2015, 02:17:15 AM »
Some of us with names that are hard to pronounce, or the correct pronunciation is ambiguous, given the spelling, have pretty much given up on correcting people. I'm to the point that I answer to just about anything -- including, "hey you!"
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2015, 12:55:40 AM »
So far it's vaporware - plus I'd wait a bit after they start shipping before jumping ship, I'm sure they will have their teething problems too ;) .

Agree on all points. And today, I still love my DL1608 (2.x ver)! The Behringer unit will have to first be made, and then tested by users before I run out and buy one. I'll be keeping my DL as well, even if I by the X18.

cigame

• Youngling
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2015, 05:33:46 PM »
I'd like to have a pre/post fader switch for effect sends.
Sometimes when I mix a jazz combo in a small location, the sax/trumpet player is loud enough so the fader is all down.
But it would be nice to give him some reverb from the DL in ballads.

btw
I think the reverb is quite useable if it's EQed.
lowcut around 150 Hz and a little boost on top end.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2015, 06:11:57 PM »
If the sax fader is all the way down how would anyone hear reverb since it would come thru the mains?

Only thing I can think of is if the horn is thru the monitors with a bit of reverb it might bleed thru.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2015, 06:19:17 PM »
I'd like to have a pre/post fader switch for effect sends.
Sometimes when I mix a jazz combo in a small location, the sax/trumpet player is loud enough so the fader is all down.
But it would be nice to give him some reverb from the DL in ballads.
I always run the 'verb pre-fader for that reason - and also I often have the snare mic off in the mains but want some reverb from it. It's not a big problem to have the vocals pre-fader also - but I have been a constant advocate of having the pre/post switchable per channel like my Phonic Summit was.

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2015, 10:47:35 PM »
If the fader is all the way down , take the channel out of the LR miix and use the fader to send to the reverb , if you want some in LR route it to a group and then to LR
If in doubt ask

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2015, 06:34:39 PM »
So, now that Behringer finally shipped the XR16 I hope Mackie plays a bit of catch-up soon ;) . I'd really like to see input routing, another FX or two, and more choices of tap points for the auxes :) . A PC app would be pretty cool, too  8) .