Author Topic: Master/My Fader V4 Wants and Speculation  (Read 101651 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: Master/My Fader V4 Wants and Speculation
« Reply #150 on: April 26, 2015, 02:20:52 PM »
And if you looked at MY Fader 3.x, you will also see a very readable db scale.  Nice color, font and size even though the screen on an iphone is much smaller.  I'd be happy to just see that copied over to Master Fader 3.x.

I've checked out My Fader 3.X and yes I agree that it's much easier to read. How come they got that right, but missed out on Master Fader 3.X? I know My Fader came out much later, but wow, what happened there? Maybe the next update to MF 3.X will address this at least?

PS: I tried My Fader 3.X on the iPad. Wow what a difference. You can make it 1X or 2X size (very big). Talk about legible. Not that I would run My Fader on the iPad too often though. It is so much easier to see though, for old eyes!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 03:45:19 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2015, 06:37:12 AM »
Since this is about MF/MyF wants let's make the UI at least useful. As it currently is implemented you have a numbered scale, yes it needs to be white on MF, but anytime you try to use it the infamous "Grow and Glow" obliterates the scale. So what good does it do if you can't read it, clear letters or not. In MF at least you have this dinky number top center that will give you the current value, but in MyF you're out of luck. Best use your ears if you can. Let me suggest loosing "Grow and Glow" altogether and replace it with a temporary window or frame above the fader and your fingers with LARGE letters for the fader position with a persistence while you have control. Give it a Glow if you must. Don't insult people with fractional dB, REALLY.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2015, 12:47:31 PM »
When we were using real faders, we had to depend on our ears, especially if we are concentrating on the stage instead of looking at the board all the time. You could grab onto the fader or knob and not worry about losing your grip on it.

That’s the only small downfall with virtual faders, you can’t grab it and keep your hand on it the same way. You can keep it active with your finger or a stylus, but it’s not quite the same. Yes you can adapt, but…

Of course, I think the other benefits of digital wireless mixing does outweigh that little issue with virtual faders though.  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2015, 02:20:26 PM »
And that is a point I've been making for some time.  The virtual faders aren't as good as real faders for my senior's variety show where I take all the sound issue control into my hands.  Nobody gets to mute their own mic.  But watching and having a finger or two on the virtual faders allows for slippage while looking at the stage.  And yes, there are many advantages that permit and even encourage the use of digital mixers.  Just hoping someone designs a blue tooth fader rack for the mixer.  (Or wired.)  Not sure how much demand there might be for it, but I'd seriously consider buying one.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2015, 03:19:32 PM »
I think you hooked up with the wrong crowd. You're looking for what Mackie can no longer produce and that is their own Mackie or HUI control. Behringer still does, maybe it's time to switch.  ;) You're looking for X-touch or it's predecessor MIDI or USB control surface with motorized faders or dials. Looking at the big picture there are only two companies that even understand that audio is a system, that's Harmond and Behringer. Both produce end to end products, no one else AFAIK does.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2015, 03:50:54 PM »
This would allow you to use real faders (analog mixer) and run wirelessly, and it looks like a good idea, but you'd have to run all wireless mics to be completely cable free. :(

http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/stealth-wireless

20 plus wireless mics would be a bit complicated and very expensive though. I've run up to 12 wireless mics with 12 receivers (rentals) and what a mess of wires. Of course I was set up close to the main stage for a school concert/play.

It could be done with the right budget I suppose.  ;)

PS: Read some of the reviews and it appears that this system is not perfected yet. Some issues like high noise floor, not good for DJ work, (kills low end response at speakers) and drop-outs. Looks like it's best for standard PA work, speech and vocals. 

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 04:13:44 PM by Keyboard Magic »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2015, 04:22:33 PM »
KM to be cable free you need to take the course I did with the chorus equipment, battery powered and on wheels. No cables anywhere but at the units. The current rehearsal setup has a operating time of about a 100 hrs. without charging (in case they forget  :)). It takes about 2 minutes to set up. It has 2 wireless mics (EV) and a record/playback with any reasonable 3.5mm stereo device (iPad). Uses a single CBT based speaker (JBL CBT 70J) and will be painful if at max volume in a 30x40ftx18hgt. room.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2015, 05:28:09 PM »
KM to be cable free you need to take the course I did with the chorus equipment, battery powered and on wheels. No cables anywhere but at the units. The current rehearsal setup has a operating time of about a 100 hrs. without charging (in case they forget  :)). It takes about 2 minutes to set up. It has 2 wireless mics (EV) and a record/playback with any reasonable 3.5mm stereo device (iPad). Uses a single CBT based speaker (JBL CBT 70J) and will be painful if at max volume in a 30x40ftx18hgt. room.

I like that JBL CBT 70J for sure. Line Array huh? I've heard the Bose L1 systems and was impressed. The setup you mentioned has some allure too. Nice.  :thu:  8)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2015, 05:57:30 PM »

I like that JBL CBT 70J for sure. Line Array huh? I've heard the Bose L1 systems and was impressed. The setup you mentioned has some allure too. Nice.  :thu:  8)
World of difference between Bose (a straight line array that everybody makes) and the CBT. I stay away from snake oil tech (Bose) having dealt with them over the years. A lot more science behind the CBT (constant beamwidth transducer technology patented by Don Keele (JBL)). I can walk the room with a SPL meter and only have about a 3-4 dB variation, not bad.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2015, 06:14:45 PM »
3-4 dB variation? Pretty darn good I would say!  8)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2015, 10:06:36 PM »
My wish for Master Fader 4 is for Mackie to keep its familiar look and ease of operation.  :)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2015, 10:17:16 PM »
My wish for Master Fader 4 is for Mackie to keep its familiar look and ease of operation.  :)
Version 2's or version 3's ? ;)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2015, 10:23:32 PM »
Version 2's or version 3's ? ;)

Both? No? Had to try!  :lol:

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2015, 12:45:31 AM »
V.4 requests:

Larger numbering for the channels?  I run the live sound within the band while we're performing ( I know, I know, tsk, tsk), and I don't want to have to put on reading glasses or squint just to see the channel numbers if I have to make a quick adjustment.

Easier channel recording selection for the DL32R.  Something akin to a solo switch on each fader that either toggles it on or off for recording.  Simple, fast, easy. 

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2015, 01:07:39 AM »
Agreed that the channel numbers are small.