Author Topic: Ways to use the new features.  (Read 35882 times)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: Ways to use the new features.
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgQkBhK35rA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgQkBhK35rA</a>

Harpman

• Knight
  • 的f music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2014, 06:07:26 AM »
Dan,

Supposedly, Sonar will import a multichannel wav file and break them into separate mono files.  Can you send my a test recording that you did so I can test importing it into Sonar and see how it looks?  Still doesn't fix the 9-minute length issue, which I hope Mackie addresses. Also, how are you linking your video to your audio.  Are you using the old clapper method or aligning your video audio with your Mackie audio in your DAW?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2014, 04:52:23 PM »
clapper,, really?  ;( No wonder people's videos are have sunc issues.
I know the method but if someone is still doing that they need to move into the next century.

You import all your footage into Final Cut Pro X, "select all" then right click and choose "create multicam clip".

In a few minutes for a two hour show, FCPX will automatically sync all the footage with sample accuraracy.
I then do a rough cut of editing then export that .MOV to Digital Performer as a reference while I am mixing audio.

Once the audio is mixed to my liking, I export the stereo 48K/24bit wave file from DP then import it into FCPX.
Of course youtube STILL does not have their audio and video in sync after all these years, I make a separate MPEG4 file with the audio two frames early just for youtube so that it "IS" in sync.

NO, I can not email or send you a file for you to test, each one is over 2GB... and there are 24 of them.

Dan

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:56:05 PM by dpdan »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2014, 06:07:45 PM »
What made clapping at the beginning and end of a scene was that magnetic tape would stretch in use and would come out of sync when putting the audio and video together.  It still works, but being we nearly never record using tape anymore, that should be a problem from the past.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
that should be a problem from the past.

Should be, but it's not. People rarely use a common clock, and no 2 digital clocks agree precisely. FCPX deals with it, but if you're doing it in iMovie or something, you still have to resync occasionally. It can easily drift enough to be noticeable over the course of a couple songs.

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2014, 06:47:51 PM »
clapper,, really?  ;( No wonder people's videos are have sunc issues.
I know the method but if someone is still doing that they need to move into the next century.

You import all your footage into Final Cut Pro X, "select all" then right click and choose "create multicam clip".

In a few minutes for a two hour show, FCPX will automatically sync all the footage with sample accuraracy.
I then do a rough cut of editing then export that .MOV to Digital Performer as a reference while I am mixing audio.

Once the audio is mixed to my liking, I export the stereo 48K/24bit wave file from DP then import it into FCPX.
Of course youtube STILL does not have their audio and video in sync after all these years, I make a separate MPEG4 file with the audio two frames early just for youtube so that it "IS" in sync.

NO, I can not email or send you a file for you to test, each one is over 2GB... and there are 24 of them.

Dan

Dan,

Unless the audio (.wav) has timecode built into it, I don't know how accurate bringing audio and video from 2 different sources is going to be perfect.  Back in the day I worked a lot with SMPTE and RC Time Code (Sony) and those were standards then.  Unfortunately, most consumer programs and hardware don't support either these days. So unless the DL32R is producing "Broadcast wav" files, there is no time code embedded.  I don't know much about FCPX, but I can't imagine it being much different than Adobe Premiere. I'm mainly a PC user, so I use Adobe Premiere CC 2014 versus FCPX.  When I record video, I also record audio from the camera for the sole purpose of aligning the audio from the other source (i.e. DL32R or in my case Focusrite 18i20's). And yes, I use the same sample accuracy on both sources.  Whether the drummer hits his snare, I clap my hands or use an electronic clapper (for iPad), I'm able to align my audio waveform recorded on my HD camcorder to the audio recorded from the other source.  I then mute (or delete) the audio track from the HD Camcorder. IMHO, I don't think your method is any less accurate or more accurate than my method.  Whether I need to nudge the framing back or forward (as you stated regarding YouTube) is par for the course.  So I'm curious, if the recording stops at 9 minute intervals, what is the size of the 9 minute interval and how many do you have to append to each other to get 2GB?  My issue with that 9 minute interval is that the band can start a tune at 8m30s and at 9m, it starts another file, which due to record latency, can cut part of a verse, chorus, solo, etc.   Not efficient in my book.  So Mackie designs this small compact 32-channel mixer with no need to dock an iPad, provides a platform (velcro) for your HD and Airport, but in order to get "seemless and contiguous" recording, you have to lug your laptop to the gig as well?  No worries on sending the files.  Was hoping for a 9 minute snippet x 24.   Can't be that big, can it?  Takes me 2-4 minutes to download a 2GB file, but then again, not everyone in the country has the bandwidth that I have (75/75)  ;). BTW, how is external drive formatted (i.e. FAT16/FAT32)?  There is a 2GB file limitation on both these technologies and maybe that's why the DL creates a new file @ 9m?
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2014, 08:13:39 PM »
Unless the audio (.wav) has timecode built into it, I don't know how accurate bringing audio and video from 2 different sources is going to be perfect. 

I don't know much about FCPX, but I can't imagine it being much different than Adobe Premiere.

FCPX just deals with it. You hand it a bunch of unsynced audio and video files. It looks for points of similarity, and stretches/shrinks everything to fit as needed. It has revolutionized video.

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2014, 08:40:39 PM »
Then maybe its worth me investing the $300
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2014, 08:41:15 PM »
Its all about simplicity for me.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2014, 05:15:20 PM »
Looks like Adobe Premiere CC has Multicam and Audio based syncing like FCPX.  Going to try that before I make another investment in software.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2014, 05:19:11 PM »
some of what's going on make this a pretty good time to be alive

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2014, 06:02:15 PM »
Looks like Adobe Premiere CC has Multicam and Audio based syncing like FCPX.  Going to try that before I make another investment in software.
PPCC is hard to beat, just upgraded from PP5 a few months back :thu: ;)
I've been using Premiere and FCP for many years now but couldn't get on to FCPX at all. :facepalm:
Just did a six camera shoot of a concert last month, PPCC lined all the footage up automagically.
I then added the studio "sweetened" multichannel captured soundtrack and the whole thing was in sync all the way through (95mins).
I upgraded recently to SSD drives for media and I was able to cut it realtime in multicam.
It made it really easy and very fast!
The older I get, the better I was!

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2014, 06:50:49 PM »
PPCC is hard to beat, just upgraded from PP5 a few months back :thu: ;)
I've been using Premiere and FCP for many years now but couldn't get on to FCPX at all. :facepalm:
Just did a six camera shoot of a concert last month, PPCC lined all the footage up automagically.
I then added the studio "sweetened" multichannel captured soundtrack and the whole thing was in sync all the way through (95mins).
I upgraded recently to SSD drives for media and I was able to cut it realtime in multicam.
It made it really easy and very fast!

Thanks for the update.  That's some really positive encouragement :). Hopefully this week will be slow allowing me some time to play :).   My laptop is pretty tricked out.  Have 2 SSD's (one for OS and one for programs).  I have a 3rd one terabyte drive for storage.  I don't own a Mac, but run Yosemite in a virtual (VMWare) environment.  This is primarily for my IT business to support my Mac customers. BTW, are your cameras all the same make/model?

Thanks,

Gio
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2014, 06:51:22 PM »
some of what's going on make this a pretty good time to be alive

True, I will 2nd that :)
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2014, 06:56:07 PM »
Just found out that the DL32R multitrack technology is not Mackie's.  It's a company called Archwave That designed the hardware/driver/firmware component.  Mackie support assured me that the transition from closing one file and creating another won't cause a gap in the recording.  Hopefully, Dan can shed some light here since he's the only owner of the DL32R on this forum (I believe).
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment