Author Topic: Ways to use the new features.  (Read 35742 times)

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
Re: Ways to use the new features.
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »
"The screen shots to the left display the default settings of the digital trim...0.0 dB for those counting."
I'm in awe of that explanation.  :lol: :lol: :lol:
There's an old saying "One man's junk is another man's treasure" that applies here.
Robo erectile dysfunction, short term memory loss all are symptoms of the JL pandemic, I'd have it looked at if I were you. :)
Willie Nelson almost had it right for this "In the Gutter again"
Cheers
On the subject of the pandemic, do you ever cross paths with him over at "Behringersville"? :police:
I wonder is he as rude over there....?
Actually there's a different persona not sure it's him, but if he ever tried that there he'd be gone. I'm not very active there either but do visit some times. There is life beyond forums. :)
Peace.

It's our old friend and sparring partner JL all right http://forum.behringer.com/showthread.php?5146-And-the-big-September-announcement-is/page13 :lol:

Let's be positive now  :angel: It does make for some lively conversations and witty repartee now and then.  ::)  :-X  ;)
31st September. Classic :lol:
There's another guy on there with a very similar name but a very different online persona.....
I'll put my tin hat back on and say "the mythical X16/18" and "vapourware" in the same sentence.
It's certainly going to have had plenty of time spent on it before it comes to market ::)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:20:07 PM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2014, 05:32:06 PM »
So here's a scenario.  My first 5 channels for Kepi's 5-piece are vocal channels. She is on CH 1 and the others are 4 male backup vocalists (CH 2-5) Certain tunes the lead vocals may change to the guitarist, keyboardist, bassist or drummer.  Creating a sub group for the backup vocals doesn't make sense since they are also lead vocalists at different time of the gig. So what would be a "Best Practice"?  Also, vocalists are typically EQ'd a bit different (not all the time), so if I were to add them to a sub group, would it make sense to leave the EQ flat for the sub group and leave their EQ presets the way they are?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
OK a few assumptions first. You have 5 leads/backups but the lead switch is not in the song but for individual songs. The mics aren't switched. So eq's and dynamics shouldn't vary singing lead vs backup so channel settings are good to go.Of course you can still fiddle with individual channels as needed. Time for snapshots 5 to be exact using DCA's one for lead one for backups. So as long as you get the right snapshot loaded DCA1 is always your lead and DCA2 are your backup singers. You can now balance the two without worrying about who's where. Two more DCA's for instruments, 8 would have been better.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 06:19:05 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2014, 05:56:15 PM »
With as often as MicroSoft changes the names of things, nearly every new OS, we really ought to get over worrying about whether it should be DCA, VCA or BFH.  (Always liked the last one.  It stands there with RCH. Wonder if that one ever made one of the acronym translation pages on the web.)  In my mind the VCA is an addition that these groups made unnecessary.  But hey, I'll take a functional unnecessary feature over missing ones any day.  Mackie did a lot of good in this upgrade, and they need our thanks.
Hey have a shot of HCL or was that H2O on me. Well it won't matter anyway until you swallow it. ;D  You're right it won't matter for those who don't know the difference anyway, ignorance is bliss.
Hey if you tweak that thingamajig and route it to the whatchamacallit you get a neat sound. :lol:  Sorry I keep forgetting the target market for this, that flushing sound is our FOH guy he can mix from anywhere. :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 06:54:05 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2014, 10:43:14 PM »
"Behringer IMHO is leader of the pack"

Erm, the XR series still doesn' t exist!

You are correct. Behringer does advertise vaporware products well in advance of availability.  Over the years I'm tired of spending $$$.  I'm going to let someone else be the guinea pig on the DL32R first.  I will have to debate in the 2nd QTR of 2015 whether I want to spend the 2K on the Mackie or if the XR is available or maybe even the X32. Digital mixers are becoming a very competitive field. Bill (WK154) have had many conversations regarding being a little more conservative buying equipment.  Some of you are complaining about MF 3.0 on the older iPad 3's. So the code is now dictating your hardware (iPad). So all of us have to run out and purchase at least an iPad 4th gen or better?  I don't think so. I would love to see how My Fader 3.0 performs on an iPhone 4 or 5.  We will see. I want to see what Mackie does with MF 4.0, which should be out be 2nd QTR 2015.  I will also check both booths out at the NAMM show.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2014, 10:50:02 PM »
So here's a scenario.  My first 5 channels for Kepi's 5-piece are vocal channels. She is on CH 1 and the others are 4 male backup vocalists (CH 2-5) Certain tunes the lead vocals may change to the guitarist, keyboardist, bassist or drummer.  Creating a sub group for the backup vocals doesn't make sense since they are also lead vocalists at different time of the gig. So what would be a "Best Practice"?  Also, vocalists are typically EQ'd a bit different (not all the time), so if I were to add them to a sub group, would it make sense to leave the EQ flat for the sub group and leave their EQ presets the way they are?

OK a few assumptions first. You have 5 leads/backups but the lead switch is not in the song but for individual songs. The mics aren't switched. So eq's and dynamics shouldn't vary singing lead vs backup so channel settings are good to go.Of course you can still fiddle with individual channels as needed. Time for snapshots 5 to be exact using DCA's one for lead one for backups. So as long as you get the right snapshot loaded DCA1 is always your lead and DCA2 are your backup singers. You can now balance the two without worrying about who's where. Two more DCA's for instruments, 8 would have been better.

Bill, the lead switch also can be in the song if Kepi and let's say Anthony (Guitarist) are trading off lead vocal parts. That doesn't happen a lot.  Even if I create a DCA1 (Lead), and DCA2 (Backup), I would still have to go in and assign the lead to non-lead channel to DCA2 and the non-lead to lead channel to DCA1, correct? IMHO, too much work.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2014, 11:42:59 PM »

Bill, the lead switch also can be in the song if Kepi and let's say Anthony (Guitarist) are trading off lead vocal parts. That doesn't happen a lot.  Even if I create a DCA1 (Lead), and DCA2 (Backup), I would still have to go in and assign the lead to non-lead channel to DCA2 and the non-lead to lead channel to DCA1, correct? IMHO, too much work.
OK 6 snapshots one with dual leads beats 5 individual faders. If you're gonna tell me all permutations and combinations it's back to individual faders.
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2014, 03:49:28 PM »
"Behringer IMHO is leader of the pack"

Erm, the XR series still doesn' t exist!

You are correct. Behringer does advertise vaporware products well in advance of availability.  Over the years I'm tired of spending $$$.  I'm going to let someone else be the guinea pig on the DL32R first.  I will have to debate in the 2nd QTR of 2015 whether I want to spend the 2K on the Mackie or if the XR is available or maybe even the X32. Digital mixers are becoming a very competitive field. Bill (WK154) have had many conversations regarding being a little more conservative buying equipment.  Some of you are complaining about MF 3.0 on the older iPad 3's. So the code is now dictating your hardware (iPad). So all of us have to run out and purchase at least an iPad 4th gen or better?  I don't think so. I would love to see how My Fader 3.0 performs on an iPhone 4 or 5.  We will see. I want to see what Mackie does with MF 4.0, which should be out be 2nd QTR 2015.  I will also check both booths out at the NAMM show.
My lowly iPad minis are having no problems at all with MF3.0.
Doesn't it have the same processor as the iPad 2?
The older I get, the better I was!

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2014, 04:36:42 AM »
the DL32R is running absolutely rock solid here and no issues whatsoever with Master Fader 3.0 on the new unit.
Using an iPad 4 and two iPad mini version 3.

I am the guinea pig
and loving this new mixer!

time marches on for those who wait for Beh....

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2014, 05:02:33 PM »
Wait a minute... That's what I look like too, especially when I DJ for Elementary school dances.

Love the picture!  :thu:

I'm so glad that everything is running smooth for you.  :)  8)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

jlb

• Padawan
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2014, 05:42:05 PM »
Hey Dan can you hook the IPad to the USB port as a hardwire option?

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2014, 07:49:34 PM »
The ipad3 has a different processor than the ipad 2. Aside from the resolution improving,  the core processor was changed with that generation.
My guess it that on the minis since the series is fairly new the processor is the better one.

Since I have the older version (Gen2) I am going to swap with my wife next week and try her Gen. 3 ipad. With the faster processor and better
resolution it may help my problem with the choppy operation.

On the positive side, I ran the V-3 last night with no issues at all, I was cautious to move sliders slow and carefully. 
I usually leave 2 hours for set up, sound check and final adjustments and it took no longer than my usual time.  It was
a  small venue and I did not bring subs or bother to run the drive rack set up.  Just a few QSC's and 3 monitor mixes.
All in all, as long as I remembered to think before acting and didn't try to get ahead of myself all went smooth.  Like others,
I spent time in advance with the program, test ran the system and had preprogrammed the show in advance in case I ran
short on time.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2014, 04:03:09 AM »
DpDan love that Pic, reminds me of the Mackie marketing dude BenO. "What me worry" (Alfred E. Neuman). Lots of luck with your new acquisition. Would love to know about internals (Pics). Not about to buy one just for that, but someone will.
"time marches on for those who wait for Beh...."
Not sure what you meant by Beh...  Mack.. would have been more likely. I've had my X32 now for over a year and you just got your DL32R. :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 04:10:24 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2014, 08:56:18 AM »
Hi WK,
I had a guinea pig when I was little and loved that little guy so much...

We would open the lettuce drawer in the fridge and he would squeal  :)
wee! wee! wee!
He was going to be getting a carrot or celery and boy he knew it!

"wait for Beh!"

was my sarcastic stab at Behringer, I know a ton of people that like their Behringer's products and that's good, but I have just seen way too many small issues that are all based around poor wave soldering.
I saw a guy on youtube showing his X32 that had a multi-color L.E.D. for the scribble strip that was not displaying certain colors, and he said he thought it would be a simple solder connection and sure enough..
I sat there and watched that video and shook my head as he opened the mixer up (under warranty) and soldered the L.E.D and then it worked. I would be so ticked off if this happened to my DL32R or Allen & Heath Qu24.

Dan

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2014, 09:33:30 AM »
Yup saw that same video and it served as a good tour through the internals.  :) Now we need a DL32R with a similar problem so we can get a look at what's under the hood. ;D Ready to pop the hood?
When in doubt KISS

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2014, 09:38:33 AM »
I am not afraid to do that, but I am not going to   :)