Author Topic: WTF! 3.0 lags so hard it's barely usable!  (Read 105817 times)

Rdmitch

• Knight
Re: WTF! 3.0 lags so hard it's barely usable!
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2014, 01:44:35 AM »
It just might be that the lag effects more of us than the white noise did
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2014, 05:34:14 AM »
The white noise affects more audiences than the lag effects.  (My take.)

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2014, 09:28:20 AM »
My white noise problem has never affected an audience as I simply never go there, I use airplay or an ipod instead. EQ lag is not acceptable, most people are going to need to tune EQ during performances and it has to be done slowly and accurately if you aren't going to upset the performance.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2014, 01:26:09 PM »
The one thing I have noticed is that when im not connected to the
1608 and just sitting playing offline with the program, or setting up a show in advance,
the peq seems fine. No lag and very responsive.
Once I sync to the mixer, and am actually controlling the show with the iPad the lag occurs.
This happens whether I'm remote from the mixer or with the iPad docked.

Is this typical with everyone else and this is a communication /wireless issue ?

Even offline I still notice a wait period of a few seconds when a channel EQ selection button is pressed

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2014, 10:54:46 PM »
I tried MF3 for a few days at home, the lag was bad both offline and connected, no difference I was aware of.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2014, 12:50:05 AM »
I tried MF3 for a few days at home, the lag was bad both offline and connected, no difference I was aware of.

Hi Sam,

Do you think that MF 3.0.1 would run better on an iPad Air? I know that would be an expensive proposition to have to buy a new iPad.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2014, 01:03:30 AM »
iPad Air docked running 3.01 is perfectly responsive. I have yet to notice the lag people are talking about.

My original Mini on wifi is a little slower, but certainly usable.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:08:17 AM by nottooloud »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2014, 06:37:56 AM »
I would like to see video's of the "lag" or lack of it.  Not upgrading my hardware at this time.  I can live with the "lag" on my ipad 2 and ipad mini.  There is some there, but it's not slowing me down enough to worry about. 

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2014, 09:41:51 AM »
Agreed, its not unusable by any stretch of the imagination. I have done quite a few gigs now with it and I am really struggling to see MF3 as unusable, though I did caveat that in another post with the fact that there is a definite inconsistency in how it performs on different hardware, iOS versions and possibly even other apps / files installed on the iPads.

I'll see if I can do a film of MF3.0.1 running on my iPad2.

I should probably try and hook up with Sam Spoons to compare experiences... in fact I was in Manchester city centre with all my gear last night, though it was all packed in my car to go to a gig in St Helens :-D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:43:55 AM by ijpengelly »

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2014, 09:49:46 AM »
I think the lag thing got overblown completely
Most of the time the lag occurs when there are things wrong with/on the ipad
Mostly it has to do with setting or open apps,
Yes ive seen the lag myself, but the strangest is that this was the worst the first time i used mf3
Later it seems that i change something on my ipad2 that it mostley dissapaerd.
Switching from faders to eq or dynamics is slower but the ipad has also todo a lot of more work.
I used mf3 now for 10 shows didnt have any problems with it.
If you want a better produkt or faster mayby u should spend more money on an other mixer
Price/Quality the mackie is a good simple mixer
If u want a better than good mixer u need to pay mostly more than $ 2500,00 analoge
Better than good digital mixers mostley u need to pay over $ 5000,00
Seems people on the internet can only do complaning about produkt or that other produkt are better cheaper
Let face the fact that all cheap digital mixers will have problems
If cant live with this dont buy it and stop winning, otherwise enjoy the freedom of these gadgets stop

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2014, 10:22:21 AM »
The lag issue is certainly not overblown by anyone saying it's unusable. The program is usable as there is a work around by using the vintage eq mode.
Those on this forum are relatively intelligent people, and we know to turn off the other apps that might be currently running on our devises, this has been discussed numerous times here.  I for one, have this on a dedicated iPad with minimal other apps as its dedicated to the 1608 exclusively. And yes, it's an ipad3 with ample capacity.
It has NOTHING to do with spending more money on a mixer, either analog or digital. The MF software worked perfect on V.2, there was no lag either on accessing the eq section or in operating the PEQ functions. The disconnect came with the implementation of V.3  it's obviously a problem inherent to that version and it's an issue that mackie needs to resolve.  Just like the white noise issue in the previous version was brought to the attention of Mackie/Loud by users of forums such as this one, this issue of the lag is being made known so they can work on the solution. Bringing up a flaw in a program is certainly not whining "winning", so get your story straight.

As we speak, I am downloading to YouTube a display of the lag, and will post the link after it is active. Others have already done this for our benefit.

Go to YouTube and search for Mackie v.3 lag
Sorry about the lousy production value since its 5:00 AM here and I'm trying to not wake up the rest of the household and holding one iPad while trying to move the faders is a little tricky.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:52:10 AM by Rdmitch »

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2014, 12:06:04 PM »
Excellent. Your video gives us something objective to compare.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bOPMZkqL-8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bOPMZkqL-8</a>

Unusable is in the eye of the beholder, so I won't quibble with you there. I have mixed on hardware digital mixers that were less responsive. My mini, which has essentially the same processor as your 3, is approximately twice as responsive as what I'm seeing in your video. I use vintage comp, but modern EQ. Some apps just don't do well on the 3, which has a rather underpowered GPU for its retina screen. As Master Fader and the DL get more features, they will likely run slower and require faster hardware. Apps are like that.

Good luck in your quest. It's working just fine here.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2014, 05:06:29 PM »
My ipad mini is also more responsive than your video.  (Not the retina display version.)  Am I correct it that it seems that changing the frequency is less responsive than changing the intensity of the selected frequency?   (Follows up and down better than side to side.)  Gonna ask, is there a screen protector mounted on this ipad?  Seems I've heard that it either hurts or helps if there is one.  I'm assuming that you've installed it at least twice to make sure it was in correctly.  Wonder if some of those other programs that you decided to not install, might help to have there?  Personally can't picture using anybody elses software, but there could be some background modification of the OS from one.  (Seems unlikely.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2014, 05:56:46 PM »
The lag issue is certainly not overblown by anyone saying it's unusable. The program is usable as there is a work around by using the vintage eq mode.
Those on this forum are relatively intelligent people, and we know to turn off the other apps that might be currently running on our devises, this has been discussed numerous times here.  I for one, have this on a dedicated iPad with minimal other apps as its dedicated to the 1608 exclusively. And yes, it's an ipad3 with ample capacity.
It has NOTHING to do with spending more money on a mixer, either analog or digital. The MF software worked perfect on V.2, there was no lag either on accessing the eq section or in operating the PEQ functions. The disconnect came with the implementation of V.3  it's obviously a problem inherent to that version and it's an issue that mackie needs to resolve.  Just like the white noise issue in the previous version was brought to the attention of Mackie/Loud by users of forums such as this one, this issue of the lag is being made known so they can work on the solution. Bringing up a flaw in a program is certainly not whining "winning", so get your story straight.

As we speak, I am downloading to YouTube a display of the lag, and will post the link after it is active. Others have already done this for our benefit.

Go to YouTube and search for Mackie v.3 lag
Sorry about the lousy production value since its 5:00 AM here and I'm trying to not wake up the rest of the household and holding one iPad while trying to move the faders is a little tricky.

Since I only use Vintage Mode, it's not an issue for me, but if you are using this for major events and relying on it for fine EQ work, then it's intolerable and has to be addressed bar none. I hope BenO is lurking and seeing the evidence for himself.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2014, 06:21:58 PM »
Uhh, just watched the video. Yes it was slow, but not exactly "un-useable" IMHO.
I had much slower response in all aspects from my docked iPad 1 way back in MF1.x!
The older I get, the better I was!