Author Topic: WTF! 3.0 lags so hard it's barely usable!  (Read 105819 times)

Rdmitch

• Knight
Re: WTF! 3.0 lags so hard it's barely usable!
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2015, 08:30:58 AM »
I have the same lag issues on iPad 2 and 3 so I don't believe it's a nature of the iPad model.
I will be trying a iPad min2 later this week to see how it reacts.  I may decide to keep the iPad mini as a remote
unit and just leave the regular iPad docked 

In any case ,the iPads both worked
fine in the previous MF version, no lag of any type so the problem stems from the new app.

But  let us know how the 30 pin to lightning adaptor works out. the official Apple adaptor is about
$ 40.00.  For the same price I can buy the DL to a lightning kit retrofit .
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2015, 01:47:20 PM »
I've used the small 30 pin to lightning addapter.  (No cable on that one.)  Works fine.  I've also noticed some lag on the PEQ modern, but it doesn't bother me.  I rarely do much with that after an event or gig starts.  (I run my system very flat overall.  So outside of a HPF, much of my PEQ is flat across the board.)   

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2015, 08:45:11 AM »
I recently traded my ageing iPad 3 in on a nice new iPad Air 2 and the "lag" difference is night and day.

iPad 3 became almost unusable with MF3 on the modern PEQ screen. I've seen a YouTube video of this and mine was just as bad.
Screen transitions were also terribly slow.
And just scrolling back and forth on the mixer view was jerky. Not nice to use at all. MF2 was much smoother graphically.

iPad Air 2 is smooth as silk. Virtually zero lag, and swapping between screens is also super fast.
I'm very happy about the UI graphics improvements with the IP Air 2. I feel reasonably "future proofed" for at a cupola years, at which point I'll be ready to upgrade my iPad again anyway.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2015, 04:47:42 PM »
That is good news but what annoys me is that there is no reason why MF3 should be so bad, if it's only a GPU thing then why didn't it show up on MF2, the GEQ in particular is identical graphically to the one in MF2. I could live with less eye-candy to have a functioning app TBH though I still think MF is the best looking app out there.

Either way I've made the decision to buy an X32 Rack to go with the X32 Compact, the DL is sadly up for sale but if it fails to sell for a sensible price I may keep it (and soldier on with MF2 for as long as possible) until it becomes impossible (or they sort MF3).

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2015, 07:30:02 PM »
Totally feel your pain, and have said many times that it worked fine (the peq graphics) before so it should be reasonable that they can make it work now.
If the was in the position to switch to a different mixer like the X32, I would look at the net cost. Since I already have the DL and iPads are pretty easy to sell on eBay and Craigslist I would look at switching to a iPad air. The net cost would be about $300.00. And I end up with the system I want,  fully functional..

If I bought into the X32 (which I really like the fx and nice app), the investment with cable adapters would be about $500.00 if you sold the DL for maybe 400.00.  At least you already have some behringer items so integration of the two would be pretty seamless for you.

While I would hate to spend anything to fix the system, sometimes it's just a necessary evil.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2015, 01:12:17 AM »
I'm not selling because of MF3 issues, the DL is (as I've said many times) a great little mixer. But, I already have an X32 Compact, bought as I needed more channels for some gigs (and wanted some real faders for the bigger gigs) and it makes more sense to buy an X32 Rack to act as a stagebox rather than an S16 (and I also get a backup mixer that way). The Rack will then do everything the DL will (all be it in a bigger box) so, while I would like to keep the DL I'll find it hard to justify owning both.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:13:49 AM by sam.spoons »

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2015, 02:08:37 PM »
So, 3.02. Everybody happy now?

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2015, 02:18:36 PM »
So, 3.02. Everybody happy now?

Modern EQ is still a little laggy on my iPad 2. Only use Vintage, so no issue for me. It was always good. Everything else does seem to be a bit more responsive overall. Now I don't have to retire my iPad 2 just yet. Phew!  ;)

Good Work Mackie and BenO.  :thu:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:20:52 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2015, 02:26:14 PM »
Won't actually get to use it before Sunday.  I was pretty happy before.  I'm just hoping that people who complain and don't even own one of the DL mixers will finally quit complaining.  (That will never happen.  Of course they will take the smallest complaint and blow it totally out of proportion so everything seems like the worst piece of S***.  I still think these people are taking paychecks from some other company.)  Anyway, it's obvious that Mackie hasn't given up on the entire DL series and still working on making things better.  I'm a person who upgrades my Macbook in the first week a new OS is available.  (I'm backed up and not doing anything mission critical on my laptop.)  That way I give it a running test before my Wife who avoids any upgrades is forced to on her macbook. 

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2015, 03:27:14 PM »
I will do the upgrade tomorrow since its a no gig weekend.  I look forward to seeing the results and sure would like to be one to send a  big kudo to the Mackie people. Since I swapped to an ipad air  I really don't have an issue unless I use the ipad 3 as a 2nd mix surface.

As Wynnd said, those who don't own this devise, or use it regularly really don't get a chance to experience the problems firsthand.
Using the app on the ipad is a bit different then when it's connected to the mixer, and certainly different than running live where a second of feedback is like a eternity.  I certainly welcome some of their comments, and a lot of great points have been made here by folks that don't own a DL....but I always have to remember to pay a little bit more heed to the weekend warriors using the DL series and the senior guys on this forum who always flabbergast me with their knowledge of stuff I will NEVER understand.   

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2015, 03:46:19 PM »
I used to own an iPad 3 which generally worked smooth as silk on MF2, but It became an almost unusable and hideously laggy experience on MF3.

I traded in my iPad 3 on a new iPad Air2 and the lagginess vanished.

I also have an iPad mini 2 permanently docked which generally ran ok on MF 3 and up to MF 3.0.1
There was still some various sluggish performance compared to MF2 but it was useable.

I updated to MF 3.0.2 a few hours ago and there is a very noticeable improvement in performance.
I directly compared both iPads. iPad mini 2 with MF 3.0.2 was just as smooth and fast as iPad Air 2 with MF 3.0.1 so it's pretty obvious Mackie has made some performance improvements

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2015, 04:34:56 PM »
It sounds like the ipad 3 users suffered the most from the PEQ lag.  I've only got an ipad 2 and early ipad mini.  Probably the ipad 3 users will see the greatest improvement. 

I would love for Mackie to rename My Fader to Personal Fader so we can easily use MF and PF for the respective apps.  (No serious programming involved.) 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2015, 04:57:35 PM »
Well what's with all the noise 3.02 is marginally better in the EQ section but swiping channels is still choppy. You can see double lines in the fader area, something not noticeable in 2.1.1. This is still under iOS 7.1.2 on a iPad 3. The simple fix for the scale numbers to white and getting rid of the Glow and Grow not to obscure the positioning needs to be done. Replace the Grow and Glow with a simple color change to indicate contact with the fader etc. , a no-brainer. That's for starters. As I read it now Mackie basically eliminated the 30 pin version and you best be careful as to which lightning version you use. Great job BenO.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:05:07 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2015, 05:05:01 PM »
getting rid of the Glow and Grow not to obscure the positioning needs to be done. Replace the Grow and Glow with a simple color change to indicate contact with the fader etc. , a no-brainier.

Couldn't agree more. That's probably the main issue I have left. There's are features I would like, but I've got everything I need.

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2015, 05:35:39 PM »
Nice improvement of the PEQ screen draw indeed. However no reverb fix and I have no faith that there will ever be, of which is most disappointing given the 2 plus years of DL 1608/806 sales and only to be disgracefully implemented in the DL32R. And yes, I handed over U.S. currency for a DL1608 which should qualify my opinion as an owner/user. Rant over.