Author Topic: WTF! 3.0 lags so hard it's barely usable!  (Read 105811 times)

pytchley

• Knight
Re: WTF! 3.0 lags so hard it's barely usable!
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2015, 11:33:05 AM »
This is great. Downloaded Audioreverb, I chose this one because it runs on ios5 and I have an iphone 3gs. Works fine on the phone but when it's docked on the DL the signal goes in but nothing comes back. Any ideas anyone? On the ipad3 it works perfectly and sounds so much better than Mackies half arsed emulation of the batcave and it's only €3.99! Maybe Mackie should buy their algorithms!

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2015, 03:45:47 PM »
MF 3.X is usable as it is now and my perceived perception of the lag on my iPad 2 is not a deal breaker. I guess the big issue is, do you keep spending more money to make improvements, or just be content with what you have? I can even live with running forever on MF 2.X if I choose. MF 3.X is more feature rich.

For me the money right now is more important than updating the gear. No new iPad this year. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” How many new iPads do you have to throw at it before your reasonably priced, good working platform becomes a money pit?

Whining is very habit forming indeed!   :-[
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:16:29 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2015, 04:11:28 PM »
KM IIRC you don't own that DL you're using so why spend any of your money to upgrade it? It's the schools so let them fund the upgrade it's the least they can do for your free services. Been there myself. I trust that they did buy an iPad when they acquired the DL. They could reuse it for non-time-critical apps and give you a iPad Air 2.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:52:31 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2015, 04:16:54 PM »
I don't have any interest in upgrading my ipads at this time.  I also don't have a problem with how they run Master Fader 3.x  (They have all worked well enough for my likes.)  ipad 2 and early ipad mini.  So as far as throwing money at the DL, it's not happening.  The software upgrades have been free.  (And I would have gladly paid for them.)   So outside of my original ipad purchase and my subsequent mini purchase, there hasn't been any other DL purchases.  I also have an iphone 4S and have just purchased an iphone 6.  (Works with my hearing aids and I'm interested in Apple Pay.)  So I'm waiting on My Fader 3.x release for those.  (Will mostly be used for airplay and monitor settings.)   So for me, the DL hasn't been a money pit either.  (And some of the devices I purchased for use with my MixWiz have been used with the DL.  Did get rid of my external compressor/limiter/expander/gate.)    I keep thinking about all the devices that I don't need because I have a DL1608.  No external compressors or gates.  got a 31 band EQ on all outputs.  Those alone opened up at least 3 rack spaces.  (Which will probably be filled with wireless mics and IEMs.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2015, 04:55:19 PM »
Hey, WK;

Oh how I wish. The Catholic Board here is very stingy unfortunately. And the school personal, I get the impression that they think that what I do is Voodoo with their DL and sound. They don't know a mixer from a "mixer". No clue. So I'll just keep doing with what I have. Now they do give me a small compensation at the end of every school year, that theoretically I can roll back into new gear, like an iPad. Wink Wink! I enjoy the volunteer work and it does keep me out of trouble, mostly.  ;)

Hey Wynnd,

I agree with you about not upgrading, it does get costly. And running their DL with either MF version, is pretty much all I need, to do the venues at the school and occasional outside gigs. They always let me borrow it. So I guess that's also compensation for the work I do for them too.

Can't promise that I won't whine here now and then, but will try to keep it to a minimum  ;) But don't hold your collective breath.  :lol:

PS: Master Fader 3.X is cooler though, even with the "lag" <===  :angel:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2015, 05:13:16 PM »
Keyboard magic.  You ought to find someone to train on the DL there.  You should have a viable backup if you get sick and they need a backup in case you're killed in an accident.   I really need a second backup for myself.  The guy I work with from time to time has a girlfriend in France and spends more time there every year.  (3 months this current trip.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2015, 05:45:44 PM »
Keyboard magic.  You ought to find someone to train on the DL there.  You should have a viable backup if you get sick and they need a backup in case you're killed in an accident.   I really need a second backup for myself.  The guy I work with from time to time has a girlfriend in France and spends more time there every year.  (3 months this current trip.)

Hey Wynnd,

Yes, you are right. Certainly not students for sure. There is one teacher that used to do AV there, but a long while ago during a concert rehearsal, I was not available to set up my sound system. They knew to wait for me and it wasn't critical yet. The co-ordinator asked this guy to set up my speakers. When I walked in, One of my cabs was on a stand interconnected to the schools old Peavy System, what complete mess. I had to tear down his mess and start from scratch!  And He was the AV Pro there.  :facepalm:

But I'll certainly have to find someone that I can trust for sure though. Actually my wife can do it, but she's teaching all day.  :)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2015, 05:54:03 PM »
This is great. Downloaded Audioreverb, I chose this one because it runs on ios5 and I have an iphone 3gs. Works fine on the phone but when it's docked on the DL the signal goes in but nothing comes back. Any ideas anyone? On the ipad3 it works perfectly and sounds so much better than Mackies half arsed emulation of the batcave and it's only €3.99! Maybe Mackie should buy their algorithms!
In the FAQ here is a list of what iDevices work for music playback docked - I'm pretty sure it has to be a "4" or better, sorry :( .

Interesting that the signal goes in though - that implies you can record on a "3", dunno if anyone knew that before? I'll have to look up if "Voice Record Pro" will run on iOS5 ...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 06:08:00 PM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2015, 06:58:27 PM »

Hey Wynnd,

Yes, you are right. Certainly not students for sure. There is one teacher that used to do AV there, but a long while ago during a concert rehearsal, I was not available to set up my sound system. They knew to wait for me and it wasn't critical yet. The co-ordinator asked this guy to set up my speakers. When I walked in, One of my cabs was on a stand interconnected to the schools old Peavy System, what complete mess. I had to tear down his mess and start from scratch!  And He was the AV Pro there.  :facepalm:

But I'll certainly have to find someone that I can trust for sure though. Actually my wife can do it, but she's teaching all day.  :)
Not my experience in 20 yrs. of school volunteering. I use to have a AVL (Audio, Video, Lighting group, this is middle school 6,7,8 grade) that I trained after school. I did get some ADD afflicted kids (dangerous situation around equipment and patience is a requirement for a show and concerts) and Hip-Hop wiseguy know it all, but rid myself of them. Left was a core group of talented, eager to learn trustworthy kids. I was also a Stagecrafter ( a club that handled classroom and auditorium equipment) from 7th grade on and we didn't let teachers near the equipment. :)
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2015, 07:33:39 PM »
As to the tightwad Catholic administration, there are ways to handle that. I held fundraisers specifically for the vocal music departments equipment and supplies and the target audience for the most part were the students and their parents. The last fundraiser was a Magician out of Vegas (he does volunteer work and also gets paid thru sponsors) Garry Carson (performed at the MGM Grand and other places). We grossed $11,000 and netted $7500. That bought a bit of gear, well after my wife gave a lot away to other departments it left $3500  ::).
When in doubt KISS

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2015, 09:41:42 PM »
You guys amaze me by volunteering all your knowledge and time to help your schools and organizations. Plus find energy to help us all out here as well.

I do 3 charity shows a year for a few organizations and list it on my taxes as a donation.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #161 on: February 16, 2015, 09:57:15 PM »
You guys amaze me by volunteering all your knowledge and time to help your schools and organizations. Plus find energy to help us all out here as well.

I do 3 charity shows a year for a few organizations and list it on my taxes as a donation.

Whatever you do to volunteer, always makes a big difference to many people!  :thu: :thu:

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #162 on: February 16, 2015, 10:28:09 PM »
Good luck with that, you might want to find a tax guy to explain to you why that doesn't work :( .

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #163 on: February 16, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »
Hopefully I won't get called on the carpet for it.. I get a receipt as a donation to the charity.
It's always a small amount, like $300.00 per show.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2015, 11:45:31 PM »
I can't see why that wouldn't work over here (UK) but the tax relief on donations is usually paid to the charity. If you're a taxpayer they can claim the amount of tax back from the government. I suppose, in the paper trail the charity pay you $300 and you donate $300, the fact that the stack of bills in question didn't change hands is immaterial (but it must be shown in their accounts and yours and you would still pay the tax on the amount 'received'). Somebody tell us if I'm wrong here please :-\
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:49:19 PM by sam.spoons »