Author Topic: WTF! 3.0 lags so hard it's barely usable!  (Read 105837 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: WTF! 3.0 lags so hard it's barely usable!
« Reply #180 on: February 17, 2015, 03:10:32 PM »
Thank you one and all for the input on the iPad Mini.  :thu: :thu:  And the mini 2 and 3 have the A7 CPU and double the system memory of the iPad 2. So theoretically they should have no trouble overcoming any perceived lag running MF 3.X. These are now on my Wishful List. Of course when the money becomes available too.  :lol:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2015, 12:23:23 AM »
Since the new iPad upgrade there have been no issues with lag.
Have only had a few small easy gigs so far, but this weekend I have 2 real jobs with full blown
Bands, 4 aux mixes and the pressure will really be on. I'm hoping for the best since its 2 new bands
and if I don't screw it up they will be my 2015 weekend income providers.

I have already preprogrammed the shows for both as well as anticipated aux mixes.i think the DL will perform
Lag free.

I'm am definitely not switching to a lightning connector DL that would be insane, you can buy the adaptor to make the 30 pin DL into a lightning connection for $40.00 or buy an adaptor cable.  I'm using the adaptor cable,now and it works just fine.

I plan on locking my older iPad 2 into the DL and keeping the new iPad strictly for remote mixing  I just have to clear off all the old crap and apps from the old iPad,chow load a mess of songs for break time and then I'm good to go.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

frankiebass1

• Padawan
« Reply #182 on: March 02, 2015, 09:42:25 PM »
I was able to get my hands on two new iPads for "testing".  A mini-2 and an AIR.  Of course as all things go, I have not had a gig until this coming weekend so my ipad2 will stay docked and I'll try both new devices out in the crowd.  Full blown band with three monitor mixes so a good test for sure.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #183 on: March 02, 2015, 11:11:24 PM »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you but think you will be pleasantly surprised.
I did 2 jobs a few weeks ago and 1 last week.  No problem at all, I even took the iPad 2 off
the mixer and used it remotely without any issues.

frankiebass1

• Padawan
« Reply #184 on: March 18, 2015, 12:36:53 PM »
So here's what I witnessed.  My ipad2 was docked for all of the performances(two tribute bands alternating sets) I used a new Mini to mix from the crowd.  The new Mini was rock solid and responsive.  There were some cases where I had a bit of lag but nothing that could not be managed.  The docked ipad2 on the other hand, would re-sync randomly all night.  Airplay did not work at all when MF was open from any device.

I called Mackie about the sync issue and they suggested that I force the DL to take another SW download.  I'm about to try that but its looking more like I'm going to have to upgrade the L to accept my air and retire the ipad2

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #185 on: March 18, 2015, 12:59:14 PM »
My Air still resyncs on my upgraded third DL1608.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #186 on: March 18, 2015, 03:15:56 PM »
I used MF3 for the first time over the weekend. Yes it's very good but definitely less intuitive than MF2. I also found it slow to respond to page changes on my iPad 3 and sometimes seems to hang for a short while. OTOH the GEQ is perfect ally workable now and the extra facilities are great. I'll try to do a comparison between the iPad 2 and iPad 3 this week to see if one responds more quickly.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #187 on: March 18, 2015, 03:21:31 PM »
can you use the mini attached to the mixer and use the ipad 2 as a remote mixer ?
I would prefer the bigger I pad as the remote since the screen is larger.

I have never noticed any issue with re syncing and have an ipad 2 attached to the mixer and use an ipad air 2 remotely.  But then again, I never look at the mixer once the gains are set.  I just keep the remote with me and find a good vantage spot out front to park my butt. 

Is there any notable sound issue when it goes thru a re sync ? 

The found the Ipad 2 to be better than the ipad 3. The 3 has a retina display so it soaks up a bit more computing power off the chip to run the graphics.   

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #188 on: March 18, 2015, 03:26:16 PM »
I would prefer the bigger I pad as the remote since the screen is larger.

I have never noticed any issue with re syncing and have an ipad 2 attached to the mixer and use an ipad air 2 remotely.  But then again, I never look at the mixer once the gains are set.  I just keep the remote with me and find a good vantage spot out front to park my butt. 

Is there any notable sound issue when it goes thru a re sync ? 

I always use my mini for the remote. Much easier to hold and use while walking around, fits in a coat pocket so I don't have to find a place to put it down, controls are still plenty big even for my 57 year old eyes.

Resync is usually very brief, and nothing changes in the sound. You just don't have control for a few seconds. My theory is that the resyncs are actually very common but that people just don't see them because, like you, they're not watching the mixer.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #189 on: March 18, 2015, 03:27:16 PM »
I've gotten so used to the docked iPad resyncing that I just don't worry about it any more. It doesn't affect either recording or playing music. The Behringer X-Air doesn't even have a wired option for the iPad so the DL1608 being somewhat flaky on the docked iPad isn't a negative IMO.

And using the iPad Mini remotely is a lot easier than carrying around the full sized one - especially because mine are in big, bulky cases (Griffin Survivors).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:30:08 PM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #190 on: March 18, 2015, 06:31:43 PM »
If your trying to use the XR18 then here's my suggested preference of tablets. x86 based PC tablet, Android based tablet and last a iPad. This may not fit your collection but you had no choice on the DL.
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #191 on: March 25, 2015, 11:27:25 PM »
Back on topic 'cos I've just done my third gig with MF3. The iPad3/iOS7 was ok (but not great) on the first two gigs last week but incredibly unresponsive, both wired and wifi (couldn't check if it was defaulting to 2.4GHz) freezing and being laggy tonight. The iPad2/iOS8 was much better tonight but I didn't use it much as I only had a single 45 min set to mix. I think I'll revert to MF Classic as I suspect the older iPads and MF3 are not happy bedfellows and I don't need the extra facilities MF3 offers (didn't use them last week or tonight). Actually, I'll probably use an old version of MF2.1.1 I have stored somewhere, does anybody know where the old shows are stored by MF2? I can start again from scratch but it would be nice to not have to.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #192 on: March 25, 2015, 11:54:15 PM »
Note:  Master Fader Classic is now available at the app store in itunes.  (Version 2.1.1.  Use with My Fader 2.1.1)  We asked for access to version 2.1.1 and Mackie has come through.

frankiebass1

• Padawan
« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2015, 03:51:51 AM »
I've installed MF Classic on my iPad 2 and I noticed the difference immediately. There's no lag!  No re sync screens( I ran it for the better part of the day). I have a gig on Saturday so that will be the real test.

AirPlay is still not working. Baby steps...

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2015, 06:51:21 AM »
One warning, The ipad white noise issue isn't fixed in this version.  It can occur when playing music through the ipad channel.  Most of use didn't ever have it happen to us, but that was something that was fixed with MF 3.x  People that had it happen to them had the white noise at very loud volume.  Airplay avoids this.  Not playing music through the ipad channel also prevents this.  So consider running Classic with the ipad channel muted.