Author Topic: WTF! 3.0 lags so hard it's barely usable!  (Read 105836 times)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: WTF! 3.0 lags so hard it's barely usable!
« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2015, 09:50:25 AM »
Note:  Master Fader Classic is now available at the app store in itunes.  (Version 2.1.1.  Use with My Fader 2.1.1)  We asked for access to version 2.1.1 and Mackie has come through.

Yup, definitely impressed  :)

One warning, The ipad white noise issue isn't fixed in this version.  It can occur when playing music through the ipad channel.  Most of use didn't ever have it happen to us, but that was something that was fixed with MF 3.x  People that had it happen to them had the white noise at very loud volume.  Airplay avoids this.  Not playing music through the ipad channel also prevents this.  So consider running Classic with the ipad channel muted.

I never suffered so I'm probably ok. I doubt Mackie all go back and fix it now though.

Gonna spend the arvo conducting some iTunes jiggery-pokery to get my old, saved MF2.1.1 back just in case it allows me to recover my stored shows.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:52:18 AM by sam.spoons »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2015, 01:51:47 PM »
When I upgraded to MF3 my shows from MF2 came along.  Wondering if that could work in the other direction if you know the file name?   (Keep forgetting it's an ipad and files are sometimes invisible.)  Probably too much trouble right now, but if someone knows how to grab it, it might be useful.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2015, 02:55:21 PM »
I've tried copying the "shows.DLshow"file but, I think Beno said, MF3 shows can't be loaded into MF Classic. What I'd like to know is are my deleted MF 2 shows lurking somewhere on my hard drive (maybe in the trash)? And what were the files called?

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2015, 03:13:26 PM »
If they're anywhere, they're in a saved backup of your ipad under itunes. If you delete all traces of 3.n, as has been discussed here someplace, find your backup copy of of 2.1.1 and get that into itunes, and then restore your iPad to an earlier backup that used that version, you might get your scenes back.

This won't work if you're installing the new Classic version, because it's actually a new app.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2015, 03:16:26 PM »
Another approach is if you have a device in the corner somewhere that couldn't be upgraded to 3.0, like an iPad 1 or a Touch 4, it might still have your old scenes. Use the new Classic version to revert the firmware on your DL, and then sync it with your old device.

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2015, 03:34:23 PM »
One warning, The ipad white noise issue isn't fixed in this version.  It can occur when playing music through the ipad channel.  Most of use didn't ever have it happen to us, but that was something that was fixed with MF 3.x  People that had it happen to them had the white noise at very loud volume.  Airplay avoids this.  Not playing music through the ipad channel also prevents this.  So consider running Classic with the ipad channel muted.

Good point Wynnd!
Playing set break music from the docked iPad prior to MF3 resulted in the White noise thing for me every time.
I originally bought my DL1608 based on the features claimed by Mackie at the time.
Those specific features were being able to use ALL 16 channels (just enough) for mixing. And being able to play set break music from the docked iPad without sacrificing 2 productive mixer channels was the "deal maker" for me.
So it was VERY disappointing discovering that I couldn't use the docked iPad for set break music because of the White noise every time I tried to.

Enter MF3 and I've not had a single incident of White noise from the docked iPad. So I've finally got the 16 channel live mixer that I paid for in the first place.  :thu:

I'm 100% happy with MF3, but I can empathise with those DL owners who want to use "classic" MF2 version due to graphic lag issues they have with MF3 (I don't have lag issues since updating my old iPad 3 to an iPad Air 2) but then find they are reverting to the master fader version that has the White noise issue built in.

Bit of a catch 22.

Anyway, thank you Mackie for giving those end users the option of downgrading to the earlier MF2 version.
I'll say that's 2 thumbs up for the right thing to do. Cheers Mackie :)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2015, 09:07:24 PM »
If they're anywhere, they're in a saved backup of your ipad under itunes. If you delete all traces of 3.n, as has been discussed here someplace, find your backup copy of of 2.1.1 and get that into itunes, and then restore your iPad to an earlier backup that used that version, you might get your scenes back.

This won't work if you're installing the new Classic version, because it's actually a new app.

Brilliant, did that and it worked  ;D

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #202 on: June 09, 2015, 12:21:17 PM »
Used 3.1 for the first time this last weekend.  I used a new iPad mimi and wow what a lag.  Furthermore I got lost a few times and had to shut the app right down to find the mixer page again.  So bottom line I am done.  I ordered up the Behringer XR18 and it should be here tomorrow.  Sorry Mackie I loved that mixer for years.  I must admit the form factor was beginning to get to me but that is that.

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #203 on: June 09, 2015, 01:05:40 PM »
Hi musicman7722,

I have been mixing digital for more than a decade, and for three years on an Ipad.
Last fall the lag on my Ipad 3 with the DL1608 basically put the mixer on very lightweight duties till Apple/Mackie got everything sorted out. 
Everything has been working fine for months now.

With the lag and other issues you have with your Ipad Mini it sounds like you have some basic hardware or software fault in the mixer or Ipad.
If I were in your shoes I would want to check this out, in case problems transfer to the XR18.

Am guessing several of us will be interested to hear how the XR18 works for you.

If you want to send that old DL1608 to North Carolina I would be happy to pay shipping!    : -)

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

liveedge.net

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #204 on: June 09, 2015, 01:30:42 PM »
Thank you for the reply.  I won't rule out hardware issues on the "I" devices but I suppose it could be on the Mackie.  I have lost the headphone out ability to drive a pair of headphones though it works fine as a line out in stereo to my IEM.  Anyway the foot print it takes up is awkward for me onstage.  i will let you all know my results on the Behringer which arrives tomorrow.  If I like it I may sell the Mackie or keep it for backup, to soon to tell but seems the resale value is pretty low and that assumes it is fully functioning.

Cheers

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #205 on: June 09, 2015, 04:42:52 PM »
You didn't spend enough time with the app before doing a gig and shouldn't be blaming Mackie for that.  The Master Fader app has about 1200 controls on it.  That's more than 3 times the number of a MixWiz. (And unlike the MixWiz they are mostly hidden.)   I suspect that other ipad apps have similar issues.  Before you spend any more money, you ought to become intimate with the apps first.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #206 on: June 09, 2015, 04:44:04 PM »
And don't expect perfection in the lowest price ranges of digital mixers.  They all have quirks that you have to live with.

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #207 on: June 10, 2015, 02:30:30 AM »
My humblest apologies to all for wasting your time. :-[

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #208 on: June 10, 2015, 01:23:47 PM »
My humblest apologies to all for wasting your time. :-[

It's a drag that you have to move on to a different brand of mixer. I still maintain that MF 3.X has a lot more hardware requirements than 2.X and it does run as it should on the iPad Air 2. It does have the faster CPU and more onboard system memory to cope with MF 3.X. I don't really think that there's an issue with your iPad.

I think that you will have better luck running the XR though with your iPad. It's a nice mixer and the app is pretty good too. Fingers crossed for you!  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #209 on: June 10, 2015, 01:45:27 PM »
I do look forward to a rackmount DL1608 (or DL2412 ? :) ) but to interest me it has to be a 2U shallow rack unit. The DL32R is too deep to fit with my gear, and the XR18 is too tall :( .