Author Topic: WTF! 3.0 lags so hard it's barely usable!  (Read 105759 times)

Rdmitch

• Knight
Re: WTF! 3.0 lags so hard it's barely usable!
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2014, 12:57:21 AM »
This won't help with the lag or jumpy situation but I found that adding a screen protector helped keep my fingers from sliding too fast on the glass ipad surface. I never realized how much it mattered until I tried my wifes Ipad on my system. She did not have any screen protector and my fingers were sliding all over the place too fast. My ipad had a bit better control since the protector gave a little more "bite" to the screen.

Believe it or not, the thickness of the screen protector made it hard to slide the ipad into the dock, so I had to trim it back a bit.  that in mind, I don't think you can do that with the new "glass" screen savers. so stay with the plastic, matte finish ones that can be cut with a scissors or knife.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

Kevin

• Door #1
  • Padawan
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 11:12:49 PM »
Nearly everything in MF3 is slow/laggy (iPad3/iOS8.1.1) the faders seem ok but selecting a button (solo/mute etc) or eq page or WHY takes around half a second where before it was virtual instant. I don't want to put MF3 on my iPad2/iOS7 in case I have trouble reverting, I have a gig next week where I'll need it. I have had the V3 firmware on the DL just to see if it made a difference. I have reverted back to V2 for the moment, I'll play with MF3 for a few days and then restore the iPad from a pre update backup, hopefully that will restore MF2 for the moment. Shame I can't revert to iOS7 (the iPad3 was on iOS6 and I tried unsuccessfully to upgrade it to 7.1.2, when that failed I had no choice but to go with iOS8). Other stuff on iOS8 seems fine though I haven't done any in depth testing yet.

Now that I have been using MF3 a bit more, I agree, its not just the EQ. Overall more laggy. I've noticed that the synch time has got worse. Before, if I swiped to my RTA and then back to MF, there would be a couple second lag while MF synched, which was annoying. Now, when I swipe back to MF3 from the RTA, there is an additional delay of a second or two before MF even tries to synch. Granted, it is still only 4-5 seconds now to synch, but annoying when standing in front of monitors waiting to do something.

Sam, you were smart to back up your copy of MF2. I did not do this. I didnt intend to upgrade to MF3. I upgraded my iPad to ios 8.1.1 so I could run some new tools and somehow my "automatic update" for apps got turned out during the update. I'm not sure why, it might have been because the ios update locked up halfway through and I had to power down the ipad in the middle of the update. When I turned the PA on last Friday, surprise! It appears I am now an MF3 beta tester!  Luckily it is still usable, but I would go back to V2 if I could.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 11:56:16 PM »
Hopefully the next update will solve the issues with MF3. I'm not too worried about MF3 though, I was forced to update my iPad3 from iOS6 to iOS8 (I wish I'd gone for iOS7 before they released iOS8  :-[) so I could try MF3 and iOS8 is not what I hoped for.

My other iPad is an iPad2, currently on iOS7 and I'm reluctant to upgrade MF3 in case it can't cope. Regarding MF3, I've just played, offline, with it again and, apart from the horrible PEQ pages (maybe I'll start using Vintage EQ) it seems to be ok apart from needing several taps before it responds to the touchscreen, once it does so it seems fine.

I could do with a few "I've got MF3/iOS8 and it's great" comments TBH

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2014, 12:45:10 AM »
Hopefully the next update will solve the issues with MF3. I'm not too worried about MF3 though, I was forced to update my iPad3 from iOS6 to iOS8 (I wish I'd gone for iOS7 before they released iOS8  :-[) so I could try MF3 and iOS8 is not what I hoped for.

My other iPad is an iPad2, currently on iOS7 and I'm reluctant to upgrade MF3 in case it can't cope. Regarding MF3, I've just played, offline, with it again and, apart from the horrible PEQ pages (maybe I'll start using Vintage EQ) it seems to be ok apart from needing several taps before it responds to the touchscreen, once it does so it seems fine.

I could do with a few "I've got MF3/iOS8 and it's great" comments TBH

My iPad minis are on 8.1. Same guts as iPad 2 methinks?
Running just fine, wireless connection much better now too Sam.
The older I get, the better I was!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2014, 12:54:40 AM »
V3 doesn't seem to preload anything - so the first trip to a new page is painful but thereafter OK. But I'm using pre-retina iPads, sounds like folks are most hatin' on the iPad3 and up?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2014, 12:57:07 AM »
My iPad minis are on 8.1. Same guts as iPad 2 methinks?
Running just fine, wireless connection much better now too Sam.
Yah I looked it up and that's true. My original iPad mini has always behaved the same as my iPad 2's.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2014, 02:14:09 AM »
I have MF3 on both IPads, a 2 and a 3 and see no noticeable differance.
I just think a mini would be way to small for me to work with. I tried one at a gig someone else was doing
and it just seemed uncomfortably small to try to work with for a show that required a lot of jumping around between screens

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2014, 05:50:17 PM »
Is anybody having this problem, when I switch to MF3 (demo mode, iPad3/iOS8.1.1) it fails to respond to my touching the faders or any other 'touch zones' for several seconds before finally responding.

Kevin

• Door #1
  • Padawan
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2014, 06:34:29 PM »
I have iPad3/iOS8.1.2/MF3

Whenever I start MF for the first time, the EQ, dynamics and quick access panel all take about 4 seconds from the tap for the screen to come up
After the first time, the screens come up fairly quickly, even if its a different channel

The faders and output selectors seem responsive right out of the gate.

EQ screen seems to be the worst. Not only is it slow, but its hard to take your finger off the screen without it jumping to a new spot when you do this

Another thing I noticed is that when I start MF3, it always comes up disconnected. I have to manually attach to the DL each time I restart MF3

I'm pretty sure that MF2 used to just synch automatically to the DL, although I could be wrong about this. Prior to MF3, I didnt spend much time closing and reopening MF

frankiebass1

• Padawan
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2014, 03:11:37 PM »
I did a show last night.  ipad2/ipad mini/DL1608.  All I devices are at 8.1.1  MF 3 on all.  NO other apps in use.  iPad 2 stays docked and mini sits in the crowd with me.  Wireless is airport express at 5G and secured.

Time lag from input to change on both devices is 1/2 second on average and was that way all night.  No difference from EQ or AUX or LR view, its slow.

Updated both devices to 8.1.2 and will see tonight. 

Are folks with newer devices NOT seeing this lag issue?  Wondering if its device processor related.  Perhaps SW code was not optimized for older, slower devices.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2014, 04:03:45 PM »
I'm still running MF2 for the moment. The wireless iPad (iPad3/iOS8.1.1/MF2) doesn't automatically sync when I first start MF2 but does when it wakes up after sending to sleep (by closing the cover in this case).

MF2 has a very slight lag, probably less than ¼ sec, noticeable but not a problem. The iPad 2 appears no slower.

I had MF3 on the iPad3 and it had all the lag reported here as well as the several seconds before it would respond at all.

I reverted to MF2 for now as I don't need the extra features at the moment (and MyF is more useful to me).

iOS 8.1.2 only addresses the ringtone issue, no other changes so I wouldn't expect it to make any difference to the issues we are having with MF3.

tmn126

• Youngling
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2014, 04:16:52 PM »
I did a show last night.  ipad2/ipad mini/DL1608.  All I devices are at 8.1.1  MF 3 on all.  NO other apps in use.  iPad 2 stays docked and mini sits in the crowd with me.  Wireless is airport express at 5G and secured.

Time lag from input to change on both devices is 1/2 second on average and was that way all night.  No difference from EQ or AUX or LR view, its slow.

Are folks with newer devices NOT seeing this lag issue?  Wondering if its device processor related.  Perhaps SW code was not optimized for older, slower devices.

Hi Frankie,
After upgrading to MF3 on my iPad 2 (30 pin) I decided it was time to upgrade my iPad as well.  Now running MF3 on an iPad air 2, it's really smooth no lags on any of the controls.

Cheers

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2014, 08:54:44 PM »
I really hope that the folks at Mackie address this lag.
I am not running out to buy another ipad and adaptors to connect it to the 1608 (30 pin)

While I won't claim the lag to make the product unusable...and I have already done a few shows with the new version, I find it very annoying and you have to move slow and careful.
The lag even effects the sound, so after you get the eq where you think it should be on the screen the audio change seems to happen a second later.

I wish I had a V-2 backup, or that until Mackie resolves this problem, they put ip a special app so we can reinstall the V-2 version again. 

frankiebass1

• Padawan
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2014, 09:30:06 PM »

Hi Frankie,
After upgrading to MF3 on my iPad 2 (30 pin) I decided it was time to upgrade my iPad as well.  Now running MF3 on an iPad air 2, it's really smooth no lags on any of the controls.

Cheers

Here's the rub. I should not have to upgrade my hardware. It worked just fine at 2.1.1. If there truly is a horsepower issue here, didn't Mackie regression test MF3 to see if older devices would indeed support the code?  A simple message stating the recemonded devices and non recemonded devices would have been enough.

Also in my case I would have to swap the 30 pin connector to a lighting connector on the 1608.

Guess I'll be rolling everything back after tonight's gig. I seriously doubt 8.1.2 is going to help in any way but I'll post what I see tonight.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2014, 09:56:20 PM »
I really hope that the folks at Mackie address this lag.
I am not running out to buy another ipad and adaptors to connect it to the 1608 (30 pin)

While I won't claim the lag to make the product unusable...and I have already done a few shows with the new version, I find it very annoying and you have to move slow and careful.
The lag even effects the sound, so after you get the eq where you think it should be on the screen the audio change seems to happen a second later.

I wish I had a V-2 backup, or that until Mackie resolves this problem, they put ip a special app so we can reinstall the V-2 version again.

That would be great but I suspect Apple would't allow it, even though you can load older versions to older iDevices from the iTunes app store.

I was lucky enough to have a backup, pre MF3 and had updated to MF3 over WiFi not through iTunes so I had MF2.1.1.ipa still in my iTunes library (I was keeping my older iPad on MF2 "just in case" and both sync with the same iTunes library). I also saved my version2 file from iTunes (right click on the app in iTunes and "show in finder" then copy the .ipa file to a safe place) so I was able to revert. I'd offer to send you the .ipa file but they're all DRM linked to your own iTunes account so it wouldn't work.

Just thinking outside the proverbial box, if you have access to an old iPad1, they can't work with iOS7+, so if you install MF on it it should install MF2, you should (though I have no way of testing this) have MF2.1.1.ipa in your iTunes library. Deleting MF3.ipa from the library (you can always get it back off iTunes) or move it to another directory and restore the newer iPad from an old backup and you may get MF2 back. Please note I can't test this as I don't have an iPad1 so very much at your own risk.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 09:59:49 PM by sam.spoons »