Author Topic: WTF! 3.0 lags so hard it's barely usable!  (Read 105818 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: WTF! 3.0 lags so hard it's barely usable!
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2014, 10:17:45 PM »
What all of you don't know is that I have been busy behind the scenes with Mackie's Ben Olswang since March of this year.
So, V3 is your fault? ;)

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2014, 10:45:26 PM »
There sure seem to be a lot of people looking for ANY reason to say that MF 3.0 is unusable.  (I'm not having any issues that make it unusable.)  Don't like MF 3.0?   Don't install it.  For me it's a great improvement and Mackie should be proud.  All the complaints I've seen are hiccups typical of any software/hardware combination.  If you want perfection, better wait until your next life.  You'll never get it in this one.  Will Mackie's MF 3.1 fix most of the complaints?  Probably not all of them, but I'm not going back to MF 2.1.1  And I do expect to use this configuration for my next Senior's variety show in May.  (Even though for this type of show, physical faders are preferable.  14 wireless mics.  View and mute groups will get a serious workout.) 

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2014, 11:01:39 PM »
The X32 Rack, X18/18R/12R or WHY, DL1608/806/32R, etc, all need a tablet, in the UK the cheapest iPad mini is £199, you can buy a 7" android for £79 but if you are spending close to £1000 on a mixer I don't think it makes sense to buy a cheap tablet. As WK says, price isn't the driver of choice between the DL1608 and the X32 Rack (the X18 OTOH when it really appears will be a direct competitor for the DL, and probably a fair bit cheaper), a DL plus 'iPad mini cost near enough the same as an X32R plus 'droid. It comes down to small footprint and ease of use (DL wins) against features and flexibility (round 2 to the X32R). Would I buy a DL1608 now? Probably not, I'd go for the X32R and live with the larger size but I'm a self confessed gear head. Would I recommend an X32R to a mate with a pub/bar duo/band? No, too steep a learning curve and way more (confusing) features than he needs, I'd sell him on a DL. I have no plans to sell my DL1608 at present, I'll stick with MF2 for now as I can take the X32 Compact out if I need the extra stuff and, on many smaller gigs, I value the size and ease of use benefits the DL has. Eventually I will probably buy an X32R to supplement the Compact (rather than an S16) at which point I'll probably find it hard to justify keeping the DL (though if prices continues to fall....). Interesting times  ;D

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2014, 11:30:58 PM »
What all of you don't know is that I have been busy behind the scenes with Mackie's Ben Olswang since March of this year.
So, V3 is your fault? ;)
Are you that naive ? We been playing the cat and mouse routine since. He's trying to get ideas out of me and me trying to get reasonable info out of him about the product. He has until the end of the year before I turn over my request for the modified uClinux code to me. After that I will turn it over to FOSS for contract violations. Ben Olswang of Loud Inc. you have been put on notice here. My previous e-mail notifications should be sufficient. I really don't care if I have been the only one that requested it.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:50:43 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2014, 10:09:42 AM »
Just returning to the original point of this thread for a moment. I've been thinking about the differences between MF2 and MF3 and the slowness of MF3 can't be attributed purely to iOS version (I have MF2 on iOS7/iPad2 and iOS8/iPad3 and there is no difference between them). The worst thing on MF3 is the horrible response of the PEQ screen. Given that the PEQ is identical in MF2 & MF3 there must be something going on under the hood in MF3, it can't be as simple as graphics redrawing overloading the GPU 'cos the graphics are more or less identical to MF2 and the moving elements are exactly the same. Obviously Mackie have done a major rewrite of MF to introduce the new features and either they have introduced a bug which causes the lag or they have changed something fundamental for the worse in the process. If it's the former it should be fixable in 3.1, if the latter, who knows.

Maybe WK and Wynnd can put me right if I'm way off base here.

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2014, 11:48:50 AM »
Hi sam i think your correct with the overload of the graphic cpu
With only a couple of channels there is less lag than with a lot of channels in use
I ll try this the next gig, make some view groups with only 1 channel and see if it still laggs or with all channels there is more lag

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2014, 12:16:22 PM »
Interested to see what you discover. I concluded that GPU was not the problem BTW. I'm out with the DL today, iPad1/iOS6, iPad2/iOS7 & iPad3/iOS8, all running MF2.1.1. Should be interesting to see how my mates iPad1 compares with my iPads 2 & 3. I'll try the view group thing too to see if it makes any difference to MF2 (which does have a slight lag but less than half MF3 on the same iPad).

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2014, 03:11:52 PM »
I'm fairly sure that MF 3.0 was a major rewrite and not a minor modification.  It almost feels to me that they started the interface pretty much from scratch.  (Was the White noise problem designed in by accident?)  The PEQ sluggishness is preferable to the White noise explosion.  One the audience never hears, the other is an embarrassment. Just a note: the classic mode of PEQ is very responsive.  (Know anyone who prefers to use that?) I would gladly drop the classic mode if there's an improved response in the modern mode.  (I don't use the classic mode anyway and wouldn't miss it.  It was interesting to see it there, but the modern mode is easier to use.) 

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2014, 04:04:33 PM »
Like the others said, the problem is mostly on the PEQ, I have been using the MF V.3 for a few weeks already on gigs and just switch all my
channels to classic EQ mode as a work through.  That's why I say it's not unusable, just annoying since the PEQ offered more infinite
adjustments and I liked having that screen to work within.  There are also times I can be scrolling across the channels (to get from input
1 to 16) and I can see a fader like delay or reverb actually moving up or down due to the scrolling.

We each have our own items that are important and this issue to me was important, whereas white noise was of no consequence to me as I
don't use the ipad channel (I plug in my ipod instead to a channel).
We all have our preferences in equipment too, I have always had great luck with Mackie and terrible luck with the "other mfg" so I do not
want to change at this point.  I have used the X32 and it was far too complicated for what I need it to do.  I'm pleased with the simplicity, price, and flexability of the 1608.  I think V.3 was a vast improvement in features with still a few bugs to work out.
I can't revert back to V2 since my upload was done on Wi-Fi download and I don't have a  iTunes  V2 backup. My fault, I should have backed up the old version just in case.
Just looking for a bit of assurance from Loud/Mackie that this is being looked into.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2014, 06:17:05 PM »
(Know anyone who prefers to use that?)
Hey Wynnd, I'm that guy :-[
I don't use "classic" mode exclusively but having used the same PA for a number of years, I had particular eqs stored in the grey matter and dialled them in via the "knobs".
It was used for speed on an initial setup to put me in the "ballpark" and worked fine with only occasional tweaking since.
I actually prefer the classic mode for the gate and comp. On my iPad minis it just works better for me. :thu:
The older I get, the better I was!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2014, 06:31:06 PM »
Classic mode would be much more useful if it had a second "mid" channel and a couple more selections available on the HPF.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2014, 11:08:05 PM »
I actually prefer the classic mode for the gate and comp. On my iPad minis it just works better for me. :thu:

Agreed.

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2014, 06:57:17 PM »
I got my first look at 3.0 yesterday. A friend has one, set on auto update, so I played with it not connected though.
I found the lag to be extremely troubling. I'm glad I didn't upgrade, and I sure hope Mackie is working on this.
I will not upgrade until this is addressed.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2014, 11:23:23 PM »
Me too  >:(

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2014, 12:27:25 AM »
All these people are unwilling to upgrade.  The White noise problem was probably much smaller than we previously thought.  (Being that MF 3.0 cures that issue.)