Author Topic: Accidental Update to MF 3.0  (Read 4486 times)

Fluddman

• Knight
Accidental Update to MF 3.0
« on: November 21, 2014, 05:29:56 AM »
I said in one of the posts I wasn't going to update to MF 3.0 as I had two big gigs this weekend (one of them tonight).

Well one of my iPads has made the decision to update for me - I had auto updates turned on  :facepalm:

I loaded in for the gig this morning as its going to be 40 degrees celsius today in Sydney - I think thats 104 degress fahrenheit.

I took the ipad out to check its charge and thats when i noticed it had made the decision itself.  I have had time to play with the new version and while it was initially confusing I feel confident enough to use it now. I am glad I didn't discover this at sound check  :eek:

Als fortunately my backup Ipad didn't auto update so I have the choice of going with either version. I'll probably play it safe and stay with the old version as planned, at least for tonight. Might try the new version tomorrow.

I know someone has already warned that this could happen - so here's proof.

Cheers

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
Re: Accidental Update to MF 3.0
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 07:58:07 AM »
It's good. Try it :)
The older I get, the better I was!

mtsens1

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:55:58 PM »
There is a chapter in the 1608 user guide that gives recommended ipad settings that will help avoid situations like this. Also, if when it auto updated, was it connected to the mixer? If so, it may have updated the 1608 firmware. Not sure you can run with the MF2 on ipad with 1606 MF3 firmware.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 02:12:42 PM »
I am sure you can't run MF 2.x on MF 3.0's firmware.  But, the mixer should update the firmware to the attached app.  (Wireless or docked.)   So if the mixer updated to MF 3's firmware, attaching an ipad with MF 2.x should make the mixer update to MF 2.x's firmware.  That is why you can't run both at the same time.  If you are using My Fader for monitor mixes, you need to stay at MF 2.x  Mackie is hoping to My Fader 3.0 out before the end of the year, but there are no guarantees.  (For those involved in software development, this is pretty normal.)  Considering how well MF 3.0 came out, let them go for it and get it right.   

Firmware.  We're used to thinking about the Bios update on a computer.  In the case of this mixer, I'm pretty sure that the firmware is actually the mixer's custom operating system and program.   

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 12:05:07 AM »
Thanks guys,

I was aware of the mixers firmware update. When you try to connect with an iPad with MF 3.0. you get a message asking if you want to update the firmware. Just say no to this if you want to keep using the old version.

I've go three iPads and only one of them was set to auto update apps.

Still contemplating whether I'll do the update for tonights gig. But its a big show and it will probable be stressful enough without dealing with a software update (but MF 3.0 does look good!).

Cheers

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 12:06:36 AM »
There is a chapter in the 1608 user guide that gives recommended ipad settings that will help avoid situations like this. Also, if when it auto updated, was it connected to the mixer? If so, it may have updated the 1608 firmware. Not sure you can run with the MF2 on ipad with 1606 MF3 firmware.

You've read the manual!! Very sensible  :)

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 11:35:56 AM »
hope all went ok, I would have used the old version for a stressful show.
With everything else going on.  the time to figure out proper routing (even on fx) would just add to
the problem.

Best to work on it and go thru the program in a more leisurely atmosphere.

Link to the new v.3 app users guide is:
http://www.mackie.com/products/dlseries/downloads/manuals/Reference%20Guide%20(Control%20Apps).pdf
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 07:17:13 PM »
hope all went ok, I would have used the old version for a stressful show.
With everything else going on.  the time to figure out proper routing (even on fx) would just add to
the problem.

Best to work on it and go thru the program in a more leisurely atmosphere.

Link to the new v.3 app users guide is:
http://www.mackie.com/products/dlseries/downloads/manuals/Reference%20Guide%20(Control%20Apps).pdf

Thank you so much for the link! It will be very helpful indeed!  :thu: :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler