Author Topic: Airplay, iTunes and Airport Express in 3.0  (Read 17301 times)

Rockit

• Youngling
Airplay, iTunes and Airport Express in 3.0
« on: November 22, 2014, 06:31:35 AM »
  Previously I was able to play songs from iTunes using the Master Fader 2 app and Ipad2 away from the DL1608 unit by, while docked, connecting to my Airport Express created network,with cables going back from the Airport into CH 15/16, which(combined) then could be used the same as any other channel in the mix.

This was achieved by first being connected to my network through the iPad WIFI menu,playing the song in iTunes, going back to the Master Fader app(the song would be playing in the iPad channel on MF2), flicking up the hidden panel at the bottom of the iPad screen, to reveal the Airplay option, selecting my network as the Airplay choice and this would, once the iPad was removed from the dock, route the music playing into CH15/16. I previously had two options in Airplay, iPad and my network.

Once I installed Master Fader 3 and new firmware update, the above process no longer works.
 After many hours trying, including re-setting the Express back to factory settings and re-creating my network, deleting the MF 3 app from iPad and re-installling, all I get as an Airplay option during the above process is "Mackie DL1608"- my network is not visible. Now, when I disconnect from the dock, the music and all other WIFI functions( mixing etc) no longer work- it is not connected to any network.

The only workaround I have found for this is to shut down the MF 3 app, go to iTunes, start a song playing, flick up the Airplay app and my network is visible again. After selecting it, I then open MF 3, iTunes is playing through the iPad channel, disconnect the iPad from dock and the music still plays as it did previously in MF 2.

It seems that with MF 3 open, my WIFI network is not available as an option to choose in Airplay, but when MF 3 is closed it is.
When I apply the above workaround, if, in MF3 I check the Airplay options, my network has re-appeared, but sometimes( not always) when re-docking and undocking the iPad the WIFI functions shut down, and I am left with "Mackie DL1608" as the only Airplay option.

My iPad2 software is 8.1.1,
Airport Express(2013 model) has latest firmware,
and using latest version of Master Fader 3 and console firmware.

Anyone else with an Airport Express experience these issues or have a solution?

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: Airplay, iTunes and Airport Express in 3.0
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 09:17:44 PM »
A Big Welcome to the Forum!!!!

Sorry to hear you have an issue with MF3 and the DL1608. I'm not on MF3 yet and rely on AirPlay for Walk in and Out music. I have one iPad 2 on MF3 (haven't docked it to the DL), the other on MF 2.1.1. It's a good bet that this is another software bug in MF3 to be ironed out. It may be a good idea to call or email Mackie support with this issue. They will be very interested to hear about it and may have a solution for you.

As WK mentioned in another post, MF3 is a public beta. It's unbelievable that you have to go through that tedious process everytime you have to use AirPlay. If you have another iPad with MF 2.1.1, I think you can downgrade the DL to the previous firmware. I apologize for not having a better solution for you. I really understand your frustration. Contact Mackie They are very helpful. I hope you get this straightened out soon.  :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Rockit

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 09:33:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I emailed Mackie the same info- when I get a reply/solution from them, I'll post it here.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 10:16:06 PM »
Excellent! I've found them to be very good and helpful.  :thu: ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 09:37:58 AM »
As I often say, it was madness to create a product for iPad that ignored it's inherent playback capability, how can they continue to ignore the fact that bands and singers and everyone else plays music from their pads, and might want some transport controls and access to the playlists built in to the master fader application?

Kev

Rockit

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 10:18:10 AM »
It does seem counter-intuitive to have a dedicated channel for iPad, yet you need to go outside of Master Fader to at the very least, stop/start whatever is playing through that channel. I usually try to bring in a break song at the precise time the band stops playing, which means you have to juggle fading out/muting the band with starting the break song- leaving the app and going to iTunes or flick up the hidden bottom panel, which you still don't have access to MF at the same time as this over-rides the MF app. Of course you can always use the fader to fade the song in,but then you are not at the start of it.
Maybe it is a limitation of the multi function of the iPad to be able to have 2 apps integrate with each other?
 Still waiting for a reply from Mackie. :(

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »
I doubt it's a limitation, I just think it's a failure to acknowledge what the end user actually wants.

Look at the advice the industry offers when you complain about the loss of the 20 dollar fx  mute footswitch, buy a 2000 dollar Mac and pro tools,  or buy a huge midi foot pedal the size of a car, buy buy buy.........

:)

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 02:45:35 PM »
I noticed that OnSong will play songs, I use that for rehearsal of covers.  You can start and stop those songs from within OnSong or Itunes.  The ipad doesn't care.  It would be nice to have at least that capability within MF.  I can work around it, but there is a convenience factor here.  I'd place the controls on the recording screen.  Though for those who use click tracks, that might be better on the home screen where it's reachable at any time.  (How do they play in lock step with a click track?  Gotta be quite a skill.) Hopefully Mackie will consider adding this to their next version of Master Fader.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 05:41:49 PM »
While I'd love that too I don't think any other digital mixer's app has it and it's probably more important for Mackie to catch up on the features the others have before worrying too much about new features...

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 08:04:26 PM »
I think the qsc thing has a transport control

:)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 08:13:02 PM »
I think the qsc thing has a transport control :)
Some can play back what they recorded but I've not seen one that can play back break music MP3 playlists? I can't use the Mackie record function because my iPad only has 16GB so not enough free space to record in uncompressed WAV - so I use Voice Record Pro which can also play back as well as export to most clouds 8). I wish Mackie would just pay that guy his $1 per copy for integration rights and dump their own code :thu:.

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 09:36:28 PM »
While I'd love that too I don't think any other digital mixer's app has it and it's probably more important for Mackie to catch up on the features the others have before worrying too much about new features...

Roland M-200i Remote has transport control

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 09:46:36 AM »
Hi road ranger

I think the sm pro has an audio in via stick, I am pretty sure the transport is available for that, I have deleted the link to the trial software so can't be 100 percent.

I think there are some really good app producers around, set list maker is absolutely brilliant, as is one track and pauser pro, the companies as suggested should give these guys a job,

In the future, I will not be buying any product that does not support the tracks contained on the pad or on an external drive unless it's in the silly price bracket of sm pro and behringer.

Having to minimize the app to select a song during a gig, bloody stupid.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 08:53:53 PM »
Hi road ranger

I think the sm pro has an audio in via stick, I am pretty sure the transport is available for that, I have deleted the link to the trial software so can't be 100 percent.

I think there are some really good app producers around, set list maker is absolutely brilliant, as is one track and pauser pro, the companies as suggested should give these guys a job,

In the future, I will not be buying any product that does not support the tracks contained on the pad or on an external drive unless it's in the silly price bracket of sm pro and behringer.

Having to minimize the app to select a song during a gig, bloody stupid.

I was researching the Line 6 M20D and here is a line from their spec page: "◦2 digital streaming inputs direct from computer, USB drive or SD card"

Didn't say anything about transport controls, but I saw and heard one playing audio tracks with an SD card at my local music store awhile back. Gotta have something to load and to start "play" from the card? It retails for about $1650 here. I know, overpriced, even after they dropped it from over 2 grand. Probably not even worth comparing it with the other contenders?  :)

And Kev... Two footswitch jacks on the top panel too!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:12:18 PM by Keyboard Magic »

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 10:16:03 AM »
Two footswitches,

Wow, one for reverb mute, one for next song in the playlist?

The future

:lol: