Author Topic: Airplay, iTunes and Airport Express in 3.0  (Read 17303 times)

Rdmitch

• Knight
Re: Airplay, iTunes and Airport Express in 3.0
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 02:14:20 AM »
This whole thing sounds terribly complicated to me. Guess I'm glad I only have to occasionally play some music over the system during breaks.
I'm probably over simpliying it by just sticking my iPod touch in my pocket with 5000 songs on it and connecting it wireless to the apple airport express. I can walk anywhere in the joint and change songs or volume. Seemed like a pretty easy solution.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 02:24:37 AM »
This whole thing sounds terribly complicated to me. Guess I'm glad I only have to occasionally play some music over the system during breaks.
I'm probably over simpliying it by just sticking my iPod touch in my pocket with 5000 songs on it and connecting it wireless to the apple airport express. I can walk anywhere in the joint and change songs or volume. Seemed like a pretty easy solution.

Exactly.  :thu: The simplest solution is usually always the best solution.  ;) I always play walk-in and break music that way. Never fails.  :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 06:34:31 AM »
I seem to recall from BenO that the feature that is now top of the list for inclusion in the next update is the transport controls for music played from the iPad, so perhaps 3.1 will feature this, rather than having to wait until MF4. Guess it will depend on what gremlins are found that have to be ironed out as a priority.

Unfortunately, I can't contribute to a workaround. I use an MP3 player plugged in with a very long playlist that I leave running in the background and fade in when I need it. I don't have an Apple Airport and don't use iTunes...

Rockit

• Youngling
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 12:03:23 PM »
OK, finally had a chance to play around with this issue some more- my problem seems to be that when MF3 app is open, my Airport Express network is not visible for use as an Airplay option or to use the iPad2 unplugged from the console. When MF3 is closed, my Air Exp is visible again in Airplay, allowing me to play iTunes or other music playing apps back through the console. But this is useless to me as I need the music routed through MF3 and the iPad usable undocked.
In short, MF3 and my Air Exp don't work together- I can't use MF3 undocked.

got a reply from Mackie saying they tried but couldn't recreate my issue although they used an iPad Mini(not sure what model) but would pass the issue on to Ben and engineering team.

tried deleting the MF3 app again, hard reset on DL1608 console, restarted both- still not working

tried resetting iPad back to factory settings with Restore in iTunes and re-loading the MF3 app- still not working.

tried to restore a previous saved backup(pre-IOS8 and MF3) only to find it didn't have MF2 installed in it- re-installed MF3- still not working

tried turning off my home WIFI network to see if that was interfering- still not working

next step- may have to borrow another iPad from somewhere and load MF3 on it.

had zero issues prior to IOS8 and MF3

will email the above to Mackie again

Where to now? NFI. Got a major gig Sunday which needs a mobile mixer(iPad) >:(

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
OK, finally had a chance to play around with this issue some more- my problem seems to be that when MF3 app is open, my Airport Express network is not visible for use as an Airplay option or to use the iPad2 unplugged from the console. When MF3 is closed, my Air Exp is visible again in Airplay, allowing me to play iTunes or other music playing apps back through the console. But this is useless to me as I need the music routed through MF3 and the iPad usable undocked.
In short, MF3 and my Air Exp don't work together- I can't use MF3 undocked.

got a reply from Mackie saying they tried but couldn't recreate my issue although they used an iPad Mini(not sure what model) but would pass the issue on to Ben and engineering team.

tried deleting the MF3 app again, hard reset on DL1608 console, restarted both- still not working

tried resetting iPad back to factory settings with Restore in iTunes and re-loading the MF3 app- still not working.

tried to restore a previous saved backup(pre-IOS8 and MF3) only to find it didn't have MF2 installed in it- re-installed MF3- still not working

tried turning off my home WIFI network to see if that was interfering- still not working

next step- may have to borrow another iPad from somewhere and load MF3 on it.

had zero issues prior to IOS8 and MF3

will email the above to Mackie again

Where to now? NFI. Got a major gig Sunday which needs a mobile mixer(iPad) >:(

Oh that sucks! Do you have a backup of MF 2.1.1 in iTunes? You might be able to roll everything back. Fingers crossed. But in the mean time, keep hounding Mackie for a solution. I know this doesn't help much but I do understand how you must be feeling right now. I would be just beside myself at this point. What about where you bought the DL? Any chance they can help somehow?

Remember the forum is here and I think we are all pretty good listeners. It's good to vent.  ;) 
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 08:10:35 PM »
Seems like the only thing you haven't tried is to reset your Airport-express. It's the DHCP server for your net and also handles airplay. Seem like the likely candidate to me. Is it also up to date on the firmware?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 02:57:30 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 02:43:06 AM »
I've experienced this too.  MF 3.0 wants to connect to apple TV.  (And I don't own one.)  I've got an iphone 4S and just use that for airplay.  (Cause the problem is only on the ipad that's running wifi.)  Because I've had an easy work around, I didn't think much of it.  If it's common, it ought to be addressed.  It's not looking very common.

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 02:58:29 AM »
Seems like the only thing you haven't tried is reset is your Airport-express. It's the DHCP server for your net and also handles airplay. Seem like the likely candidate to me. Is it also up to date on the firmware?

Got the same problem, tryed already to update and reset the express, still only apple tv
Maybe it has something to do that the express isn't connected with internet?
Will try this
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:00:10 AM by Ampli »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 07:21:19 AM »
Since MF 3.0 supports fixed IP addresses you might try that. It eliminates the need for a DHCP server. Connection to the Internet won't buy you anything but you should have a green light on your Airport Express or orange depending on model but nothing blinking.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 09:09:52 AM »
This is what happens when you tie yourself to a proprietary product such as Air Play. My recommendation would be the alternative Bluetooth players. Caution on that on advertised range.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 12:17:02 PM »
Airplay isn't bluetooth.  It's WiFi.  I did run into a place where I had problems with airplay.  But I didn't have any problems running the show from my ipad in the back of the room.  (Mixer onstage.)  Go figure.  I can only guess that it was problems with interference.  (Never occurred anywhere else.  Pre-MF3.0)  Might just have to get myself a frequency analyzer.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 03:50:12 PM »
Wynnd : "Airplay isn't bluetooth.  It's WiFi. " I never said it was, as a matter of fact it's better than WiFi as I stated in other posts. Just have to watch out for the unscrupulous manufacturers that play with the spec. A class 3 is the lowest power requirement that has a range of up to 10 meters so 10.000001 Meters makes it a class 2 and lists as such. ;D Class 2 has a range of up to 30 meters and a class 1 which has the same range as WiFi (100 meters) are the other power levels.  What you would want is a unit that can cover the range you need. This unfortunately is frequently not published so you have to ask and hope you get an honest answer.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 04:13:24 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 04:47:39 PM »
My experience with bluetooth controls and streaming for my hearing aids makes me less willing to depend upon it.  I get frequent drops while carrying my iPad mini.  Not long but upsetting for having spent so much money.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2014, 05:05:03 PM »
My experience with bluetooth controls and streaming for my hearing aids makes me less willing to depend upon it.  I get frequent drops while carrying my iPad mini.  Not long but upsetting for having spent so much money.
Take it back have them fix it. At minimum it should be V4.0 Bluetooth for the hearing aid 4.1 would be better. I've had various units (Bluetooth not hearing aids) since day 1 and dropouts at this point other than range should be a thing of the past. Lot's of reports of users switching off Airplay for just that reason and picking up Bluetooth.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 06:15:56 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2014, 06:48:07 PM »
Take back the hearing aids?  ($5K for the pair.) Will look into it.