Author Topic: Airplay, iTunes and Airport Express in 3.0  (Read 17294 times)

Kevin

• Door #1
  • Padawan
Re: Airplay, iTunes and Airport Express in 3.0
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2014, 04:53:20 PM »
I updated to MF3 over the weekend and it looks like MF3 broke Airplay. I have the same issue as Rockit and Ampli - when MF3 is running, none of my apps which use Airplay can see the Airport Express.

Rockit - Did Mackie tech support get back to you yet about this? I dont see how they could be having any problems reproducing this. It fails consistently for me and sounds like this is the case for others as well.

Forum members - is there anyone out there who was using Airplay with MF2 and DIDNT have it break when going to MF3 ???

This really sucks. I can use my phone to play break music via Airplay, so I'm not dead in the water, but now I have to remember to put my phone in airplane mode

The new interface is pretty nice, but I would rather have go back to MF2 and get Airplay back

Rockit

• Youngling
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2014, 07:59:11 PM »
Hi Kevin, I've had no reply back from Mackie after emailing them again regarding my post on page 2 of this topic. When I have Master Fader 3 open, Airplay  on my Ipad2 with my Airport Express does not work. When I shut down MF3, Airplay on Air Expr returns.
Air Expr doesn't appear to be the problem, as with you, I can play music back into MF3 when docked via Air Exp and input Ch15/16 from my iPhone, and also play music through the Air Exp on the iPad2 when MF3 is closed.
What this means is I can't use MF3 on my iPad 2 undocked. >:(
Also, as others have stated, there is a definite lag in fader adjustment on Ipad2 since the MF3 upgrade.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:05:30 PM by Rockit »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 02:59:21 AM »
There's reference to this issue on another thread on this forum. 

tmn126

• Youngling
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 05:44:58 PM »
Airplay is working with MF3 on my  DL32, although it seems to be a bit slow on the controls from the swipe up menu and I had a couple drop outs on the streaming (I wont use Airplay while gigging).  When I was using the 1608 I used tango remote from my Iphone while the IPAD was docked, it has great controls for on the go playlist updating and the music is not being streamed so even if I get to far from the IPAD the music won't quit.

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2014, 06:41:11 AM »
Ive got airplay working again after the 8.1.2 update
But be careful first close all backgrond apps
Then open mf3
The open your player and select the airport express
Then open mf3 by double klick the home button and select Mf3

This works for me
Not ideal buts it's a workaround

Looks that mackie includes some line of code that closes all background apps/task or something on first start of mf3
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:58:32 AM by Ampli »

Kevin

• Door #1
  • Padawan
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2014, 07:17:07 AM »
Hmm, I just did the 8.1.2 update and I still dont have airplay.
It doesnt matter which I open first, if MF3 is open, airplay doesnt see the airport express, only the ipad
If I close MF3, then airplay remembers that I was connected to the airport express
MF3 does not even have to be connected and it knocks the airport express out of airplay
I'm running on an ipad 3

Ampli - other than the update, did you change anything else
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 07:19:23 AM by Kevin »

Rockit

• Youngling
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2014, 09:45:34 AM »
Did the 8.1.2 update-followed Ampli's instructions- still no airplay options, BUT-(i'm not sure if this has changed since the update) -
if I start up MF3 when docked,
 then undocked the Ipad2,
 hit the "Offline" gearwheel at the top of the app,
 touch the "Wireless" icon option at the bottom of page,
 the gear wheel changes to connected,
 touch the gearwheel to return to fader functions,
I now have wireless functions working-ie-faders controlling the mixer undocked.

Airplay is only showing "iPad" in both MF3 and iTunes(when both apps open together) and songs still won't play from iPad-MF3-to Air Exp.
When MF3 is closed- my Air Expr network returns as an option in Airplay
 Can anyone else duplicate this?

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2014, 11:28:40 AM »
Did give it a try again
I did forget something in the way to get airplay
Click home button twice
Remove all apps incl mf3
Open mf3 connect wireless to the dl
!!double click home button and go to screen with music player

Now open the player and i can connect to the express

If i goto the player by pressing only the home button once  i dont get the expres in the airplay
Good luck
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:30:45 AM by Ampli »

Kevin

• Door #1
  • Padawan
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2014, 02:56:37 PM »
Hmm, I followed your exact instructions Ampli, and still dont get the Airport Express option in Airplay - just the iPad
Same as what Rockit is seeing

Wireless control of the mixer works fine for me. Havent had any problem with that on MF3 (knock on wood)

Rockit

• Youngling
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2014, 03:05:06 PM »
Tried as you suggested- double-clicked- and my Airplay network has re-appeared as an option and is connected-BUT-Itunes still won't play music back through the iPad MF3 channel, as it did in MF2.The music shows as playing in iTunes but is not outputting to the MF3 or the iPad speakers.

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2014, 05:16:09 PM »
Thats strange
Do you have and 30 pins or lightning table
I have an ipad2 and 30 pins connector
I tunes plays to the ipad channel without problems
Only the expres airplay was a problem for me

Kevin

• Door #1
  • Padawan
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2014, 06:16:38 PM »
OK, this is interesting ...

I have an iPad3 with 30 pin connector, and if I connect the iPad to the DL's 30 pin connector, now I get both the DL1608 and Airport Express as Airplay options
If I select Airport Express, I can play music through the router and it comes into the DL through channels 15 and 16 as normal.
If I disconnect the iPad from the DL's 30 pin connector, I still have an Airplay connection to the airport express and it will keep playing while MF3 is in use

If I close MF3 and re-open, then I lose the Airport Express as an Airport option, as Ampli reported

I cant get Airport Express to show up as an Airplay option unless the iPad is connected to the DL, but if I do that, Airplay survives the disconnect
This is not ideal, but I can live with it until Mackie fixes it.

Ampli - when you got Airport Express to work, were you by chance connected to the DL?

Rockit - if you connect to the DL, can you get Airplay to work?

edit - Rockit, I just re-read your post and it sounds like you were able to establish Airplay to express while docked - just still not working right for you for some reason. If you start playing iTunes over the Airport Express while the iPad is docked, can you then undock and keep the Airplay connection?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:40:33 PM by Kevin »

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »
I tested airplay only wireless connected to the dl
If i play music docked i use the iphone, never had problems this way

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2014, 01:13:35 AM »
Just got done with a political rally.  Had no problems with airplay except when I was more than 100 feet away on the other side of a stone stairway.  (Too weak a signal for streaming without problems.)  Closer worked flawlessly.  MF3.0 ios 8.1.1  ipad 2 docked and ipad mini out in the crowd.  I did have some charging issues with the ipad that started in my car with it's usb port docked.  Think we can consider that an Apple problem.

josephhand

• Initiate
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »
I am using the final release of MF3 with the DL32R and have hit the same issue with Airplay. My workaround was to just play the tunes from my phone via Airplay and use my iPad 2 to run MF3. I am also flooding Mackie's support inbox with a request to fix this so I can do it all from one device.