Author Topic: Phantom power issue dl1608  (Read 3382 times)

joescottiow

• Initiate
Phantom power issue dl1608
« on: November 25, 2014, 11:37:01 PM »
Bought a dl1608 a week ago,
I use an ipad 1 docked and the drummer uses an ipad 1 for click track. So just to give you an example the drummers ipad is mini jack to stereo jack. Left to his iem and right to the dl channel 4.
Every now and then there is a sudden pop/bang and when he touches the screen is intermitently pops. On one occassion we thought it was hes ipad so we swapped it for another, when we plugged in the different ipad(when was already on) the ipad rebooted. I aslo notice on the level meter there is a slight signal showing even tho there is no track playing. The same slight signal shows on channels 12/13 which my nord is plugged into. This does not happen when PP turned off

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
Re: Phantom power issue dl1608
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 01:28:07 AM »
I use an ipad 1 docked and the drummer uses an ipad 1 for click track. So just to give you an example the drummers ipad is mini jack to stereo jack. Left to his iem and right to the dl channel 4.
Every now and then there is a sudden pop/bang and when he touches the screen is intermitently pops. On one occassion we thought it was hes ipad so we swapped it for another, when we plugged in the different ipad(when was already on) the ipad rebooted. I aslo notice on the level meter there is a slight signal showing even tho there is no track playing. The same slight signal shows on channels 12/13 which my nord is plugged into. This does not happen when PP turned off

Hmm ... I wonder if this might be related to a problem I encountered this past Friday -- one of the guitar players in the band I was doing sound for was running through a Digitech rackmount processor, which we've used before with no problem. For some reason, the output was through the roof this time, and the only thing I can that was different is that I used condensors on the drumset overhead mics this week, and the last time I mixed for these guys I used a dynamic mic on the overheads.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 03:09:36 AM »
Global phantom power is a PIA. But better than nothing.

Have you tried using a di or similar to isolate the ipad from the DI (and also the phantom power).

I carry a couple of stereo isolation transformers - very handy.

Cheers

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 03:36:38 AM »
What makes you think that an iPad earphone out was designed for 48V? I'm surprised it hasn't gone up in smoke. You need to attach the iPad to 13-16 via the TRS/TS connector since Phantom power is not applied to these. Since your using 12&13 you must be using XLR's not good even on 13-16. If your out of line in positions then a DI box is required.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:55:22 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 01:15:44 PM »
+1, But I wonder what kind of adapters the Op is using to get his stereo TRS jack to an XLR input on the DL and the drummers IEM rig?