Author Topic: I GOT IT <DL32R> TODAY!!!! WOO HOO!!!!  (Read 17301 times)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
I GOT IT <DL32R> TODAY!!!! WOO HOO!!!!
« on: November 27, 2014, 06:45:21 AM »
This thing is just so cool!

Thanks Beno for all you do!
Dan Kury

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPqM-jFLkWc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPqM-jFLkWc</a>
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:18:53 PM by RoadRanger »

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
Re: I GOT IT TODAY!!!! WOO HOO!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 07:02:51 AM »
AWESOME Dan!!!
Much health to enjoy and good luck!!!
 :) :) :) :) :) :)

The older I get, the better I was!

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 07:06:50 AM »
thanks Robbo  :)

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 09:27:15 AM »
Good on ya Dan!

Thanks for sharing that. It looks like a nice piece of gear.

We're having a crazy hot spring down here in Australia, looks like your freezing. Lucky it didn't stop the delivery man!

Enjoy your new toy! and great idea with the external reverb.

Cheers

Art

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 09:32:30 AM »
thank you Art, I hope you get one too!

Dan

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 05:43:05 PM »
thanks for taking the time to post the video I enjoyed watching the whole process.
I like looking at how others set up gear and their fader groupings.  Just curious...why do you put the back of the 32R facing the front
of the rack ?

Enjoy !

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 05:45:31 PM by Rdmitch »
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 06:44:15 PM »
dpdan...

Congrats on the DL32 acquisition. NICE! I am kinda envious. But my personal banker (you know who) and practicality say "uh uh, don't even think about it!" Oh well maybe in another time and dimension.  ;)

Anyway, have lots of good gigs with it.  :thu:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 12:53:54 AM »
Hi Rdmitch and Keyboard Magic,
a few reasons for the confusion about the DL32R facing the wrong way in the rack...

It is actually mounted correctly into the front of the rack with the Furman AC light unit.
When I set up sound using the DL32R, it sits on top of an amp rack so I don't have to bend down to the floor to patch inputs and outputs. This puts the front of the 32R facing the same way as the front of the power amplifiers.
I always want to see the front of the DL32R for patching in stage "sub" snakes, mic lines etc.

Keyboard Magic, thank you!
I do not want to use the built-in reverb/s on the Mackie because they sound absolutely horrible to me.
While the built-in reverb is "singing" in a song, the reverb does not actually sound terrible in context, but for acoustic, jazz and classical stuff, the reverb "tail" is heard and is naked all by itself during open passages of music, and at the end of cutoffs. Like any artificial reverb that is used, it has to sound nice. For this reason, I decided to put this inexpensive TC Electronics M-One reverb in the back of the case with the DL32R because it can fit above the skinny part of the 32R.

So, I need the two wireless receivers, but almost never need to actually see or adjust anything on them. Same goes for the TC Electronics effects unit. The Sennheiser wireless receivers and the TC just sits in the back facing the wall. So cool that Mackie made the shape of this thing to not waste a ton of space inside the rack so we can put the router, hard drive and in fact (other gear) and have it all fit inside a four space case.  How cool is that?

Thanks for watching my goofy little video.  :thu:

keyboard magic,

the sound quality of the reverb in the 32R has NOT been improved over the DL1608.
In fact, there is no difference in the variety of choices between Hall, Plate, Room etc. it is all the same thing just different pictures.
In this regard, Mackie has really dropped the ball compared to so many other digital mixers I have used and heard. Presonus, Allen & Heath, and even Yamaha have acceptable sounding built-in reverbs.
I really hate talking negatively about the DL32R but so far, this is the only thing I can see really wrong with it. I mean, an Allen & Heath Mixwizard has nice sounding reverb. Two of them in fact.
My DL reverb rant is now complete.  :-\

Thanks guys!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:59:06 AM by dpdan »

jlb

• Padawan
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 02:31:02 AM »
What happens when wi if goes down? There is no way to hardwire iPad to unit. I have mixed with the DL for over 200 shows and on some of them wifi has gone down or been intermittent.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 02:40:17 AM »
Hi jib,
for me, if the Wi-Fi router goes dead and does not come back on due to catastrophic failure (burns up or just quits indefinitely), I get out my back-up router that is already recognized by the i-devices and already recognized password.
I wait till a break and connect the back-up router. A brand new Apple Airport Express is $90.00 USD delivered... something we should always have just in case... and I do.

jlb

• Padawan
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 02:48:45 AM »
Backup router is all fine and dandy, I carry 2 extra. Some places wifi does not work due to interference etc.. Who knows? What then? Ya I can always bring my Pro 1 as a backup :lol:

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 02:52:30 AM »
I have never been anywhere where the Apple Express router didn't work great  :)

jlb

• Padawan
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 03:05:07 AM »
Try within 100' of a large communication tower and see what happens. Some hotels I work are so jammed up with signal it's impossible to run a show wirelessly.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 03:14:07 AM »
Hi Rdmitch and Keyboard Magic,
a few reasons for the confusion about the DL32R facing the wrong way in the rack...

It is actually mounted correctly into the front of the rack with the Furman AC light unit.
When I set up sound using the DL32R, it sits on top of an amp rack so I don't have to bend down to the floor to patch inputs and outputs. This puts the front of the 32R facing the same way as the front of the power amplifiers.
I always want to see the front of the DL32R for patching in stage "sub" snakes, mic lines etc.

Keyboard Magic, thank you!
I do not want to use the built-in reverb/s on the Mackie because they sound absolutely horrible to me.
While the built-in reverb is "singing" in a song, the reverb does not actually sound terrible in context, but for acoustic, jazz and classical stuff, the reverb "tail" is heard and is naked all by itself during open passages of music, and at the end of cutoffs. Like any artificial reverb that is used, it has to sound nice. For this reason, I decided to put this inexpensive TC Electronics M-One reverb in the back of the case with the DL32R because it can fit above the skinny part of the 32R.

So, I need the two wireless receivers, but almost never need to actually see or adjust anything on them. Same goes for the TC Electronics effects unit. The Sennheiser wireless receivers and the TC just sits in the back facing the wall. So cool that Mackie made the shape of this thing to not waste a ton of space inside the rack so we can put the router, hard drive and in fact (other gear) and have it all fit inside a four space case.  How cool is that?

Thanks for watching my goofy little video.  :thu:

keyboard magic,

the sound quality of the reverb in the 32R has NOT been improved over the DL1608.
In fact, there is no difference in the variety of choices between Hall, Plate, Room etc. it is all the same thing just different pictures.
In this regard, Mackie has really dropped the ball compared to so many other digital mixers I have used and heard. Presonus, Allen & Heath, and even Yamaha have acceptable sounding built-in reverbs.
I really hate talking negatively about the DL32R but so far, this is the only thing I can see really wrong with it. I mean, an Allen & Heath Mixwizard has nice sounding reverb. Two of them in fact.
My DL reverb rant is now complete.  :-\

Thanks guys!

You are welcome. I've never used the reverb on the DL once. Never had the occasion to use it, especially in school gyms . Uggghhhh. The only digital / software verb I ever use is in audio recording/ remastering. I use the verb in Izotope Ozone 5. And it's not too shabby.

It is a shame that with new hardware/software/firmware they couldn't tweak or create new reverbs. I don't know how hard it would be, but it should be possible in that price range. But I think the DL32 overall is gonna be absolutely amazing to use just the same. I've always liked Mackie stuff.  :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

musicdan

• Padawan
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 04:09:37 AM »
I laughed out loud when I saw you running out to the courier truck. I do the same thing every time a parcel shows up but I'm sure I'll be just as excited as you looked when my DL32R arrives!
DL1608