Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

V-Drums into DL1608

(1/2) > >>

Poehmsen:
I've put together a Guitar, Bass, Drums trio and am running all 3 instruments direct to the DL1608.
Bass via DI, Guitar via Line 6 HD500, drums via Roland TD15k kit.
I'm planning to run the drums into a DI box (the outs on the TD15k are unbalanced) then use XLR cables out of the DI to channels 13/14 of the DL1608. I am thinking of panning all drums except kick Left and the Kick R in the TD15k. This way I can control the kick volume and send it's signal to Aux 6, which will feed a powered 15" sub. In order to get a good signal from the TD15k, I have the level on its module set about 3/4. The trim knobs on the DL1608 are almost the same (38ish?)
Does this sound like a good plan?
Do Electronic drums usually need this much output from the drums and so much gain from the mixer?

sam.spoons:
Drum modules, in common with keys and such like usually have a similar output to an electric or electro-acoustic guitar (yes they do vary but...). Say around 20dB less than a line output from a piece of outboard as they are meant to be going into a keyboard type amp. A standard DI box should be fine and there's no reason not to put the module volume full up.

Panning the drums as you suggest is is probably not necessary, the output from the kit, generally, will be full range and the balance between the individual drums should be preset so you risk upsetting that balance if you have the kick on a separate channel. Also the usual reason for running an aux fed sub is to keep LF stage clutter from instrument and vocal mics out of the sub, the drum module and any other DI instruments aren't usually a problem.

Wynnd:
On my keyboards, the VK-77 has a pretty hot output.  My RD300GX output is pretty weak.  So there's a range of issues on any outputs.  (I use an active DI box with the piano if it's being fed into someone else's mixer board.  Don't need it with the DL1608)

Poehmsen:
Great info.
My thought was to run the kick drum and bass guitar to Aux 6 to the powered subwoofer. That way we (or a sound guy) could raise or lower the sub level with the aux 6 fader on a wifi ipad Dl1608 instead of having to turn up the volume on the sub itself.
But maybe that's making it more complicated than needed.
It is a good idea to set the drum module to mono, correct? or simply use the Left/mono out of the TD15k module and only one channel on the DL1608?

Wynnd:
If you have enough inputs, stereo is OK.  As far as your sub woofer, I'd be inclined to run it off the mains.  Most have a signal pass through and filter out the unused frequencies.  I would just run some familiar music through the system and balance the sub accordingly.  (Note: my DriveRack PX are setup for a flat response in every speaker configuration that I use.)  Aux fed subs are normally handling only instruments that run that low.  (Keyboards, kick, and part of the bass.)  I've been fine without running aux fed subs.  You probably would be too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version