Author Topic: FAQ: You Can Go Back To V2.1.1 If You Really Have To, If You Must Of Course  (Read 17523 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
I apologize of this is not too technical, but please bare (bear) with me? This is for just in case! And only if you find it absolutely necessary!

THIS METHOD MAY NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE, PLEASE DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK

So for anyone that for any reason wants to go back to MF 2.1.1 from 3 you can. The catch is that you should have a backup of MF 2.1.1 in iTunes on your computer first.

I have 2 iPad 2’s. One had MF 3, the other 2.1.1. I had backed up all my apps on the one with 2.1.1 in iTunes on my laptop. I deleted MF 3 on the other iPad. I connected this one to the laptop, opened iTunes and synced both devices. I scrolled to the apps that I had backed up from the other iPad (MF2.1.1). I dragged the MF 2.1.1 app to the iPad’s desktop, waited ‘till they synced once more, disconnected my iPad and viola, there was the app I had just dragged over.

I opened MF and there you are, version 2.1.1 was successfully copied from one iPad to the other. It works perfectly. The only downside is that all my scenes were gone on the “copied to iPad” But they are alive and well on the original iPad with 2.1.1. And as you know once the original iPad is docked in the DL and you connect wirelessly with the other iPad, you are given the choice from where you can use the stored scenes. Select the docked iPad and your scenes are "magically"  ;) sent to your “blank scenes” iPad” Now you have your hard earned scenes on both devices.

If you only have one iPad, you will lose your scenes completely, but you can roll back to 2.1.1 if you have to.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS PARTICULAR DL IS STILL ON THE V2.1.1 FIRMWARE
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:14:57 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Thank you RR for making it a FAQ.  :thu:  :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

pytchley

• Knight
OK, so you can go back on the iPad. Has anyone tried to go back on their DL? That is to say a DL which has been flashed with MF3? Will MF2 flash it back again?

Keyboard Magic

• Master
OK, so you can go back on the iPad. Has anyone tried to go back on their DL? That is to say a DL which has been flashed with MF3? Will MF2 flash it back again?

I presume, what ever version of MF you have, a hard reset should upload the appropriate firmware version to the DL to match the software. Even if you've updated to the new firmware, it's overwritten.

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than myself will chime in and confirm or deny my claim?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 07:10:18 PM by Keyboard Magic »

nottooloud

• Knight
I haven't tried from MF3, since it's working for me, but I did downgrade  DL1608 firmware to 1.4.1 from several 2.n.n versions with no difficulty.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
I haven't tried from MF3, since it's working for me, but I did downgrade  DL1608 firmware to 1.4.1 from several 2.n.n versions with no difficulty.

I had a feeling you could, but thank you for confirming it.  :thu:  :)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 02:32:54 AM by Keyboard Magic »

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
I want to try this path to go back.  How do I find my apps on my iPad and then save them to my laptop?  i have a macbook pro

nottooloud

• Knight
Which version is on your iPad? I could go back because I've archived every version of every app I've ever had. When iTunes updates an app, I pull it out of the trash and stash it. Of course, I'm crazy.

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
Thank you for the response.  I have an ipad 2 - A 1395

I just updated itunes on my mac and itunes is now syncing with my ipad so that is a good start I hope.

Chris

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
I see a my fader 2.0 in my apps that synched over

nottooloud

• Knight
Re: FAQ: You Can Go Back To V2.1.1 If You Really Have To, If You Must Of Course
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 06:34:23 PM »
I meant what version of Master Fader is on your iPad.

My Fader is for iPhones and iPod Touches. Doesn't work if your DL has already been updated to 3.n.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »
Which version is on your iPad? I could go back because I've archived every version of every app I've ever had. When iTunes updates an app, I pull it out of the trash and stash it. Of course, I'm crazy.
Yeah crazy smart! It's a computer like it or not and you have to CYA with all the "new generation programmers" running wild. They haven't learned the basics. Not backing up is crazy.
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 06:46:27 PM »
I want to try this path to go back.  How do I find my apps on my iPad and then save them to my laptop?  i have a macbook pro

Did you update via iTunes or on the iPad? If on the iPad did you sync to iTunes since updating? In either case you have probably lost MF2. You can find out easily by going to the apps page in iTunes, right click on the MF icon and "show in finder" the file will be either Master Fader 2.1.1.ipa or Master Fader 3.0.1.ipa. Then just save it in a safe place. To get the DL to reload the firmware from the iPad after you have MF2 back on there boot up the DL with the reset button pressed (tiny hole between the LAN and PSU connectors, use a straightened paper clip). The DL will then install the f/w from the iPad.

Others have posted while I have been typing and musicman7722 has sorted his problem but I'll post this for anybody else wanting to revert.

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 06:56:22 PM »
Yeah crazy smart! It's a computer like it or not and you have to CYA with all the "new generation programmers" running wild. They haven't learned the basics. Not backing up is crazy.

In the app archive it has 2.0 and I don't have any version actually installed.  I did have 3.0 and removed it and I never attached it to the Dl1608.  Of course the DL has 2.1.1 on it.  Do I have a chance?

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 06:59:12 PM »
Well i wouldn't say I've sorted anything :(  I am no transferring the 2.0 via drop box back to my ipad but I am so over my head here.  I fix PC's for a living  but can barely turn on my ipad and macbook