Author Topic: Big Problem switching from DL1608 to DL32R  (Read 6048 times)

fazmanicg

• Youngling
Big Problem switching from DL1608 to DL32R
« on: December 03, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
I knew it couldn't be this easy! ... Got my DL32R yesterday. So this morning I decide to test it. I connect it to the router that I have been using with my DL1608, turn everything on and so far so good. The iPad (Which was used with the DL1608 sees the network and when opening up Master Fader, it sees the DL32R .. So far so good.  When I connected to the DL32R it immediately told me that a firmware update must be done to the DL32R.  No problem, I let it do it's thing.  After a minute, it completed successfully. -- Here is where the fun begins. The DL32R rebooted after the firmware update and came back up with no issues. My iPad sees the DL32R. When I choose to connect to it, however, I got a message "This iPad is running a Show intended for use on a DL1608. In order to connect to the DL32R, you will need to switch to its Show, which can take up to 2 seconds per Snapshot and 30 seconds per image.  Proceed?  (Yes, switch to show -- or -- No, Go Offline)"  .......  I select Yes, switch to show. it then comes up with the "Synchronizing current state" window and then quits. After restarting, the same thing keeps happening. -- I uninstalled Master Fader and reinstalled it.  Same thing is happening.  Cannot run Master Fader at all.  The App keeps quitting right after syncing current state. -- Mind you, this scares the S^&T out of me. -- If this ever happens on a gig ......  I have had ZERO issues with either of my DL1608's (2 of them).  Now This.   Anyone else go from a DL1608 to a DL32R? -- I hate being an early adopter, but I can't help myself LOL!   

fazmanicg

• Youngling
Re: Big Problem switching from DL1608 to DL32R
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 04:29:36 PM »
Whew!!! -- After placing a phone call to Mackie (As soon as they opened), It was determined that there is a slight bug in Master Fader 3.0.  -- being my anal self, I arranged everything nicey nicey in the rack, including the router and a shiney new external hard drive (Which I had plugged into the DL32R) .......  Well, it doesn't like an unformatted drive plugged in (At least not until they update Master Fader) when trying to connect. -- Once I unplugged the HD, connected to the mixer, went in and formatted the drive, everything worked perfectly.  OK ... I'm a happy camper again. -- BTW -- Once the drive is formatted, you can leave it plugged in and everything will work as expected.  Cheers!

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 05:01:18 PM »
congratulations on your new 32R!!!

I have one too,
were you able to load any of your shows that were made on the 1608?
I was not and Ben told me that unfortunately (right now) the old shows will not open in the 32R until they fix that.

Dan

fazmanicg

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 05:28:40 PM »
congratulations on your new 32R!!!

I have one too,
were you able to load any of your shows that were made on the 1608?
I was not and Ben told me that unfortunately (right now) the old shows will not open in the 32R until they fix that.

Dan

Hi there! -- No, I was not able to.  I was told that I can swap presets back and forth however.  I have not tried that yet. -- Still trying to wrap my head around a few things.  -- The input is an interesting one to me. Both Input Gain and Trim ... Not sure how to set these appropriately.  Any light shed on this would be helpful.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:16:47 PM »
Set your trim to default. Use your gain settings since it's the only control that can affect your S/N ratio which you want to maximize.
When in doubt KISS

fazmanicg

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 09:03:01 PM »
Set your trim to default. Use your gain settings since it's the only control that can affect your S/N ratio which you want to maximize.

Thanks WK154.  I actually found the 200+ page reference manual for Master Fader 3.0, and saw that as well.  The manual mentions nothing of the trim at all. I am assuming that the trim is for finite adjustments?
I will be giving it a good test over the next few days.

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 09:09:41 PM »
The gain is for the xlr input channels, u dont need the trim
If u route the usb to the channel then u have to use the trim, the gain does then nothing ( gain is for the preamp)

fazmanicg

• Youngling
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 09:33:25 PM »
If u route the usb to the channel then u have to use the trim, the gain does then nothing ( gain is for the preamp)

I have it all disconnected at this point, but I could swear when I had a Mic plugged into channel 1, for instance, if I had the gain up, and then raised the trim, it did change the level.  Again, I was playing around with everything so I could be wrong (Getting old ya know lol) .... I'll definitely pay attention to this more.  But as you guys noted, I will leave the trim alone and use the gain for the inputs (XLRs)  Thank you!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 11:08:16 PM »

I have it all disconnected at this point, but I could swear when I had a Mic plugged into channel 1, for instance, if I had the gain up, and then raised the trim, it did change the level.  Again, I was playing around with everything so I could be wrong (Getting old ya know lol) .... I'll definitely pay attention to this more.  But as you guys noted, I will leave the trim alone and use the gain for the inputs (XLRs)  Thank you!
As I mentioned in another thread the trim unfortunately is in the common path of preamp and USB/Dante in the DL32R. It would have made more sense to make trim just for USB/Dante input.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:09:57 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS